2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
To me they are separate questions. One is asking you to talk about the core skills/attitudes needed to succeed, the other is asking you to highlight what makes you different, so outside of the core skills/attitudes. You could talk about any experiences in either question though.
Thanks for this advice. I don't know why but I seem to really struggle with USP questions. Would you recommend going down the route of a characteristic, an experience and hat it taught it has taught me, or something else? Sorry if I'm completely overthinking this, I just find it quite hard to draw out something that really is "different."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for this advice. I don't know why but I seem to really struggle with USP questions. Would you recommend going down the route of a characteristic, an experience and hat it taught it has taught me, or something else? Sorry if I'm completely overthinking this, I just find it quite hard to draw out something that really is "different."

It’s never one things that makes us different from the next candidate, but a mixture or combination of things that do. Those things can be experiences or characteristics. It’s really difficult to advise you USPs because they are so personal to each individual person but I would try to think of the following:
  • What have I done that is different to what the majority of other people do?
  • What am I good at - where are my natural strengths that people or I rely on when things get tough
  • What knowledge do I have that is of a higher level than other candidates?
  • What do I do that’s different to other people, in terms of approach or opinion?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    What are Freshfields USPs? Struggling to differentiate them from other magic circle firms

I think @wannabe has already given you some of the biggest differences but there's also quite a lot of helpful advice on Freshfields in this thread https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....e-trainee-at-freshfields-anything.2276/page-1

I actually think one of the key things about the Freshfields app in particular is that it should be more about yourself. Mentioning deals/the work they do should only come in if there is something that tangibly ties this back to you. So maybe consider this when you're doing more research into the USPs. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....erview-tips-2019-2020.1423/page-55#post-16889

Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

iamJW

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi all! Has anyone heard anything from NRF recently for direct TC? I haven’t had a WG invite and am not sure whether I should be worried. Applied very end of November, confirmed but nothing since.

I applied around the same time as you and I am also still waiting. Maybe they will update us in January after Spring VS applicants?

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I applied around the same time as you and I am also still waiting. Maybe they will update us in January after Spring VS applicants?
    Same boat, applied around 20 November, heard nothing. They responded in Jan last year and that’s what I’d assume will happen again (although last year they were clear that that was their policy; this year, grad recruitment said they were going to try to be rolling but, given not a single person seems to have heard, I think they’re just very busy with VS).

Reactions: iamJW

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Nope I applied on the 4th of December and haven’t heard anything. Last year they rejected me in 8 days and I applied on the deadline so I’m hoping the silence is good!
    Same, 2 years ago I was rejected in 5 days lol. So, I am really hoping it is a positive sign since I have been waiting to hear something for about 6 weeks now. Good luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legal_rawn
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.