2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
Jul 21, 2020
hello! has anyone gone through the BCLP online test? it has scenario based questions, situational judgement and watson glaser all rolled into one, i think... any advice and pointers would be great! i've not done one this extensive before and it says you can't really prepare for it but i'm a skeptic👀👀👀👀👀👀
If you’ve done the Linklaters test before then it’s the same as those ones. But otherwise there’s a WG at the end that you can practice and the situational questions are just common sense. There’s also some personality type questions so you can’t really prepare for those.

Reactions: BiancaM

H S

Distinguished Member
Sep 11, 2018
Sorry if these have been asked and answered but I have a few questions on Fieldfisher I was hoping to have answered:

1) Do they largely recruit from Vac Schemes - what tends to be the ratio of vac schemers and direct TC candidates who get TCs? (I.e. is there any point applying for a direct TC 😂)
2) Do they recruit on a rolling basis?
3) If I can do both the 2022 and 2023 TCs and the 2022 deadline is in 2 weeks while the 2023 deadline is in 1.5 months, is it best to go for the 2023 TC just based on not wanting to be too much of a last-minute candidate?

Thanks in advance! :)

A

Anon 11031

Sorry if these have been asked and answered but I have a few questions on Fieldfisher I was hoping to have answered:

1) Do they largely recruit from Vac Schemes - what tends to be the ratio of vac schemers and direct TC candidates who get TCs? (I.e. is there any point applying for a direct TC 😂)
2) Do they recruit on a rolling basis?
3) If I can do both the 2022 and 2023 TCs and the 2022 deadline is in 2 weeks while the 2023 deadline is in 1.5 months, is it best to go for the 2023 TC just based on not wanting to be too much of a last-minute candidate?

Thanks in advance! :)
From their open day, I can't remember the percentage that they recruit from VS. However, their applications are rolling.

In terms of the year you should apply for, I think it's best to apply for whichever suits your circumstances. If you don't think you can produce a quality application in 2 weeks, go for 2023. The application is pretty long (totals just under 2000 words I think). ☺️

H S

Distinguished Member
Sep 11, 2018
From their open day, I can't remember the percentage that they recruit from VS. However, their applications are rolling.

In terms of the year you should apply for, I think it's best to apply for whichever suits your circumstances. If you don't think you can produce a quality application in 2 weeks, go for 2023. The application is pretty long (totals just under 2000 words I think). ☺️
Thank you for this!!

Ah okay, without me opening an application just yet (still deciding on 2022/2023) could you possibly give me insight into the questions please?

• 🤝
Reactions: Anon 11031
A

Anon 11031

Thank you for this!!

Ah okay, without me opening an application just yet (still deciding on 2022/2023) could you possibly give me insight into the questions please?
Yeah, sure! There's 4 questions, I think they fluctuate between 400-500 words each. I'll paraphrase because I don't have the document in front of me.

1. Covers spare time interests, positions of responsibility, achievements etc.
2. What have you found out about Fieldfisher and why do you want to work for us?
3. What are the 5 most important skills needed to be a successful commercial lawyer?
4. What do you consider to be the biggest opportunity for one of our sectors and how should we pursue this?

Hope that helps! X

H S

Distinguished Member
Sep 11, 2018
Yeah, sure! There's 4 questions, I think they fluctuate between 400-500 words each. I'll paraphrase because I don't have the document in front of me.

1. Covers spare time interests, positions of responsibility, achievements etc.
2. What have you found out about Fieldfisher and why do you want to work for us?
3. What are the 5 most important skills needed to be a successful commercial lawyer?
4. What do you consider to be the biggest opportunity for one of our sectors and how should we pursue this?

Hope that helps! X
Ah brill - thank you so much!! Have a good Friday ☺️

• Love
Reactions: Anon 11031
A

Anon 11031

@Jessica Booker I was wondering if you have any insight on this. I recently received an email telling me that the GLP trainee scheme is opening on June 1st. I'm definitely going to apply, most of the positions are in London but they have 2 in the Leeds office.

Would you happen to know whether being an existing civil servant will help my application at all? Are the civil service more willing/likely to accept someone already in the public sector?

Thanks! :)

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Does anyone have any advice on the WG? I just got invited to do one for Dentons and I really like the firm- i've only every gotten past one WG and it was the first one I did lol (beginners luck maybe)

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on the WG? I just got invited to do one for Dentons and I really like the firm- i've only every gotten past one WG and it was the first one I did lol (beginners luck maybe)
    I do!

Personally Dentons WG I didn't find too hard. It's not dissimilar to the AssessmentDay or Job Test Prep/Pearson Vue ones. The questions are very standard.

My personal approach was to practice practice practice, and also make sure I understood exactly what the questions were looking for. I prepared a sheet of paper where I had definitions of things like 'inference' and 'assumption' and also made sure I knew exactly what the components of a weak/strong argument are so I could compare it to the answers. E.g. strong argument = Relevant AND a good point so I had to make sure it fit with both the criteria to give it the pass. I think preparing for a WG in other ways is hard because they could ask you anything, but I'd also say if possible go back and reread your answers to check through if/when you've got a few spare minutes at the end before submitting (if possible, I think it is) to see if you've misread or misinterpreted anything from going through it too quickly. Hope this helps! I always find the WG nerve-wracking so make sure to take the time to calm down beforehand if you get like this too :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: LeilaScott and sm2020

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    @Jessica Booker I was wondering if you have any insight on this. I recently received an email telling me that the GLP trainee scheme is opening on June 1st. I'm definitely going to apply, most of the positions are in London but they have 2 in the Leeds office.

Would you happen to know whether being an existing civil servant will help my application at all? Are the civil service more willing/likely to accept someone already in the public sector?

Thanks! :)
    Hi,

I am current a paralegal for GLD and can say that knowing how the success profile framework works will deffo be helpful for you as you'll know how to answer their behaviour questions. With regards to whether they have a preference for current or former civil servants, they don't have a preference and do not even give preferential treatment for their paralegal.

Hope it helps!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I kinda forgot about it! So I just presumed other people has applied before me :)
    I guess you are in their first patch of assessment centres as they said that the first set of interviews will be 26th April week and 2nd set of interviews mid-May so I guess I will be waiting a long time also.

• 🤝
    Reactions: OEO
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.