Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi just wondered if anyone could provide me with some insight on how to tackle this. I have an assessment centre coming up and the topic is LPC or SQE? Thanks
Is the opportunity for a traditional training contract or a SQE training contract?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, I recently received a direct training contract offer from BCLP! This forum has been amazing, and I can't believe I can finally say I am going to be a lawyer! Woo! If anyone needs any insights to ACs, happy to share my experience!
Love good news on a Monday!

Congratulations 🥳

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone else think the Freshfields application platform is absolutely abysmal? Wishing everyone would move to apply4law!
Global recruitment systems for you! Not designed for graduate recruitment, while Apply4Law is literally ONLY designed for legal graduate recruitment in mind (would be useless for any other recruitment though!).

• Haha
Reactions: M777

Asbi

Star Member
May 15, 2021
Is the opportunity for a traditional training contract or a SQE training contract?
Hi as I have done the LPC already it will be for a traditional training contract. The topic for the presentation is this though LPC or SQE? I just wondered how to tackle it and prepare my presentation so it covers all grounds. They mentioned that there will be people who have no clue what the sqe is and to based our presentation with that in mind

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi this is a bit random but I was wondering if anyone is in my shoes.

a) is it too late to apply to direct TCs?

b) I will be starting my new job at the end of July, I'm honestly really excited about it as its a policy job and it ticks a lot of boxes for me but long term I still think law is what I want to do. I feel like I have a lot of thinking to do about future career paths etc but I was wonder if people thought it would be best to focus on my new job for now and apply to vac schemes in October time or try and do some (late) direct TC apps?

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021

b) I will be starting my new job at the end of July, I'm honestly really excited about it as its a policy job and it ticks a lot of boxes for me but long term I still think law is what I want to do. I feel like I have a lot of thinking to do about future career paths etc but I was wonder if people thought it would be best to focus on my new job for now and apply to vac schemes in October time or try and do some (late) direct TC apps?
    Hi there,

I think it is eventually your decision, but I found that law firms are really enthusiastic when it comes to candidates having policy experience. It could be a great way to bulk up your applications and stand out in the crowd, but obviously you need a few months of practice to be able to talk about it!

Not sure if it helps but that's something to consider :)

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi there,

I think it is eventually your decision, but I found that law firms are really enthusiastic when it comes to candidates having policy experience. It could be a great way to bulk up your applications and stand out in the crowd, but obviously you need a few months of practice to be able to talk about it!

Not sure if it helps but that's something to consider :)
    Yes this is exactly what I was thinking and tbh I want to put my all into my new role rather than juggling applications and new job! Plus I'll be working in the financial market and insurance team so its very relevant to corp law and something i'd love to chat about in an interview!

Reactions: MLF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi as I have done the LPC already it will be for a traditional training contract. The topic for the presentation is this though LPC or SQE? I just wondered how to tackle it and prepare my presentation so it covers all grounds. They mentioned that there will be people who have no clue what the sqe is and to based our presentation with that in mind
    Be mindful the firm could still put you through the SQE even with the LPC!

The reason I ask is that the answer could heavily influence how you may want to approach the task!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

A) it’s only too late once applications close

B) could you not apply to some before you start working? And then see how those go and then apply in October if needed?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, please may I know where to find the recording for the 'Convert Your Next Vacation Scheme Into A Training Contract' on the Premium forum? thank you.
    You should be able to find it here in the TCLA to TC (Advanced) course

Reactions: Bee6 and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I'm asked about a deal a firm has worked on that interested me, how much detail are we expected to give? (partner interview). I only ask because I find online resources or articles they publish about their work quite vague.
    It isn’t really about detail as such, it’s more about your analysis/thinking as the whys and wherefores of the matter. You don’t have to recite information, it’s much more about you trying to put together why it happened, what were the implications etc.

Reactions: YFA

Asbi

Star Member
    May 15, 2021
    Be mindful the firm could still put you through the SQE even with the LPC!

The reason I ask is that the answer could heavily influence how you may want to approach the task!
    No they have confirmed if we have done the LPC we will be considered for the direct training contract and not the SQE. I am just a bit lost on how to tackle the presentation. Should I just do the advantages and disadvantages of each route?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No they have confirmed if we have done the LPC we will be considered for the direct training contract and not the SQE. I am just a bit lost on how to tackle the presentation. Should I just do the advantages and disadvantages of each route?
    That’s good - just wanted to check.

I would ensure there is some balance to the presentation (so pros/cons) of each system, but personally I’d try to draw some form of conclusion/judgement in summary rather than sitting on fence.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    I was recently offered a TC (woo! - couldn't have got there without this forum) and I wondered whether anyone knows if all the information about pre-employment checks is usually contained in the offer? The offer says it's conditional on the receipt of two written references (amongst other things: right to work, no SRA character issues) but that's it. The firm said they'll take up the references 3 months before and be in touch with other paperwork then. I had expected it to be a bit more comprehensive than that, and I know that taking up other employment history checks might be a bit time-consuming in my case because of various complexities to do with modes of employment and durations not matching payslips etc. so this had been on my mind.

I'll cross whichever bridge is required in the end, but just wondered whether @Jessica Booker had any insights. Would you have expected details of other pre-employment checks (e.g. stuff about Vero etc.) to have been mentioned at this stage/part of the conditions of the offer?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.