Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was recently offered a TC (woo! - couldn't have got there without this forum) and I wondered whether anyone knows if all the information about pre-employment checks is usually contained in the offer? The offer says it's conditional on the receipt of two written references (amongst other things: right to work, no SRA character issues) but that's it. The firm said they'll take up the references 3 months before and be in touch with other paperwork then. I had expected it to be a bit more comprehensive than that, and I know that taking up other employment history checks might be a bit time-consuming in my case because of various complexities to do with modes of employment and durations not matching payslips etc. so this had been on my mind.

I'll cross whichever bridge is required in the end, but just wondered whether @Jessica Booker had any insights. Would you have expected details of other pre-employment checks (e.g. stuff about Vero etc.) to have been mentioned at this stage/part of the conditions of the offer?
First of all, congratulations 🥳

Might just be the firms approach to only ask for two references. Hard to know whether they really need all references or not though. The reference to two references might just be for those who haven’t been in employment for instance.

There usually isn’t much detail in the employment offer/contract of what the vetting process consists of, just that you need to complete and pass it.

Probably best to speak to the firm directly to get clarity.

All these processes can be easily done even if there are issues like your pay not lining up with employment dates - as long as there is a reasonable explanation and evidence of some kind, it’s nothing to worry about really.

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
@Jessica Booker Could you please help me with the following:

1)I remember a while ago you mentioned how to calculate reserve TC places (i.e. places for direct TC candidates after places are taken up by vacation scheme)- could you please mention how to do this again?

2)I graduated a couple weeks ago and didn’t apply to Ashurst’s vacation scheme but plan to apply to their direct TC application (are they likely to ask why I didn’t apply to their vacation scheme/will this be looked down on?)

3)I start a paralegal role next month (i.e after I send of my application), can I use this as an entry for the work experience section? If not, is there generally somewhere else you would talk about a future role?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Could you please help me with the following:

1)I remember a while ago you mentioned how to calculate reserve TC places (i.e. places for direct TC candidates after places are taken up by vacation scheme)- could you please mention how to do this again?

2)I graduated a couple weeks ago and didn’t apply to Ashurst’s vacation scheme but plan to apply to their direct TC application (are they likely to ask why I didn’t apply to their vacation scheme/will this be looked down on?)

3)I start a paralegal role next month (i.e after I send of my application), can I use this as an entry for the work experience section? If not, is there generally somewhere else you would talk about a future role?
1) it's only a rough estimation. But number of vac scheme places x 75%, then times that number again by 75%. Then subtract that number from the number of TCs.

2) no - not a problem at all. Plenty of people will be applying in a similar situation to you. If you get to interview you might be asked, but it’s not relevant/important for an application form.

3) it will either need to be a very short work experience entry (eg with practical no detail, at best the department you will be sat in). Alternatively any cover letter type answers or extra information sections would also be an appropriate place to mention the upcoming role.

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2020
Completing the Eversheds application and would be grateful if anyone had any input regarding one of the questions. The question is, "When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor?" Does this need to be some form of written work like an article, essay, work experience task etc. or could it be something like organising and hosting a charitable fundraising event? I guess I am slightly unclear about what 'piece of work' means in this context...

A

Anon 11031

Completing the Eversheds application and would be grateful if anyone had any input regarding one of the questions. The question is, "When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor?" Does this need to be some form of written work like an article, essay, work experience task etc. or could it be something like organising and hosting a charitable fundraising event? I guess I am slightly unclear about what 'piece of work' means in this context...
A piece of work could be anything. In fact, it probably would be better to pick an example outside of academia! ☺️

• 🤝
Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    I picked something I did as part of my paralegal job. I think as long as you clearly explain why quality was important etc it's fine.

• 🤝

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Could be either. Just needs to demonstrate quality of some kind. Could be a presentation, could be written work, could be customer service, it could be delivering an event. Literally could be 101+ things.

• 🤝

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
    May 5, 2020
    Oh my god first AC ever (firm is TLT) help help how do I prepare?
    Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

A

Anon 11031

Oh my god first AC ever (firm is TLT) help help how do I prepare?
    Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC
    Huge well done!

I would suggest checking out the AC materials in TCLA - I found them really helpful!

Also, since the firm is TLT (I didn't apply in the end but I remember their app form) I would try to build commercial awareness of what is going on in their key sectors - finance etc. They seem to have a heavy emphasis on commercial knowledge and understanding challenges their firm could be facing.

Other than this, I would just make sure to prepare competency examples and motivational answers quite well.

I'm sure you will do fantastic, so well deserved! 🎊

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021

Nnu

Star Member
  • Mar 9, 2021
    Guys,

I am in tears.
    I've been offered the final partner interview at Fieldfisher and I've passed the AC.

I can't believe it.

(I couldn't have gotten this far without all of your support, and I would like to personally thank @Alice G and @Jessica Booker for all of your kind words of encouragement.)
    omg congratulations!! well deserved!!! good luck in the final interview!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
    Guys,

I am in tears.
    I've been offered the final partner interview at Fieldfisher and I've passed the AC.

I can't believe it.

(I couldn't have gotten this far without all of your support, and I would like to personally thank @Alice G and @Jessica Booker for all of your kind words of encouragement.)
    SUCH good news, so well deserved!!! Keep us updated :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Guys,

I am in tears.

I can't believe it.

You are doing really well, keep it up!

Reactions: Jessica Booker
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.