2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Mxkry

Valued Member
Oct 13, 2020
After initially thinking I wasn't even going to bother applying for training contracts, I think I'm going to attempt a few.

I think one of my issues in applications is explaining my initial interest in commercial law. Partially, it is a result of my motivations not being 'pure'. I was always good at humanities and thought law would be a good choice and naturally commercial law was an attractive option.
Obviously, such an explanation does not suffice.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
"A rejection is not a rejection until it is" just got a whole new meaning..... just got a TC interview invite after applying beginning of November 2020.... and the best part is it is in person (finally!). Never lose hope people!
Yes!! HUGE congratulations to you and how exciting it’s in person! The whole forum is rooting for you!! 🎉🎉

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a final tc interview tomorrow but feel like everything I have been preparing has completely left my brain lol and I'm panicking. Not sure whether to call it a day or to cram.
Call it a day. Just get everything set up for the interview (e.g. clothes/equipment etc) maybe do some light reading/prep first thing in the morning,

• 🤝
Reactions: E.A and YFA

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I have a final tc interview tomorrow but feel like everything I have been preparing has completely left my brain lol and I'm panicking. Not sure whether to call it a day or to cram.
This is totally understandable, I used to get this outside exam halls like 5 mins before and feel really panicked but as soon as you’re in there, taken a sip of water and composed yourself your adrenaline will be flowing and you’ll remember more than you even realise you can.
Very best of luck to you, I agree with Jess, really try to get yourself a good night’s sleep or if you might struggle to then try to switch off as best you can, whether that’s listening to music, Netflix, reading or anything else!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and YFA

wildprincessx

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2019
After initially thinking I wasn't even going to bother applying for training contracts, I think I'm going to attempt a few.

I think one of my issues in applications is explaining my initial interest in commercial law. Partially, it is a result of my motivations not being 'pure'. I was always good at humanities and thought law would be a good choice and naturally commercial law was an attractive option.
Completely felt this!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

For what it's worth, commercial law wasn't always what I wanted to do.

I settled on "being a lawyer" quite young, but up until I was about 18 I planned to go to the Scots criminal bar. Did some work experience and realised that world just wasn't for me, and I also wanted to out of Scotland.

Around the same time I started investigating commercial stuff in London and figured that it's actually a better synergy of my interests, passions and abilities than criminal. Started doing schemes with Rare and AS and fell in love with it and here I am a couple years down the line with my TC lol. Authenticity is more important than having some amazing "lightbulb moment" story!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    If Shoosmiths or Pinsents give me a PFO today I swear I am having the worst birthday luck 😂
    Ah is it your birthday today?? If so, wishing you a VERY Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have the loveliest day and weekend celebrating!! :) :)🎉🥳

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If Shoosmiths or Pinsents give me a PFO today I swear I am having the worst birthday luck 😂😂😂
    Happy Birthday GIF by Vimodji

John Abram

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Fieldfisher after doing the online tests?
    I completed them on the 26th and they emailed me on the 4th stating that bc I hadn’t completed them, my application would no longer be reviewed. But as I emailed them, I told them they made a mistake and that i did complete them and it had been more than 7 working days. They then said that they apologise and that I would hear back within an extra working days😡😡but I still haven’t heard back!!!

Sharrphie

Standard Member
    May 24, 2021
    Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Fieldfisher after doing the online tests?
    I completed them on the 26th and they emailed me on the 4th stating that bc I hadn’t completed them, my application would no longer be reviewed. But as I emailed them, I told them they made a mistake and that i did complete them and it had been more than 7 working days. They then said that they apologise and that I would hear back within an extra working days😡😡but I still haven’t heard back!!!
    I am also waiting for their response for London office. I got my online test result last Thursday. It has been more than one week and no other information. The feeling of uncertainty is really killing me.