2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I have an upcoming AC with Fieldfisher
    smile.png
    I'm very nervous as it's my first AC - any hints or tips on how to prepare would be hugely appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!
    Can’t really prepare too much in advance if I’m honest! You’ll receive the tasks on the day as you do them, but there’ll be a solo presentation, a group presentation, written task and interview. The written task really isn’t tooo bad (I have zero legal education and passed the AC fine) so it’s pretty much designed to catch people out when looking for detail! Good luck 😊

Reactions: Alice94

Alice94

Nov 27, 2019
    Can’t really prepare too much in advance if I’m honest! You’ll receive the tasks on the day as you do them, but there’ll be a solo presentation, a group presentation, written task and interview. The written task really isn’t tooo bad (I have zero legal education and passed the AC fine) so it’s pretty much designed to catch people out when looking for detail! Good luck 😊
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your helpful comments! Thanks for also setting out the structure of the day! Fingers crossed it goes okay 🤞🏻

Reactions: Noodles52

Bea Ildem

Aug 28, 2020
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate your helpful comments! Thanks for also setting out the structure of the day! Fingers crossed it goes okay 🤞🏻
    Hey Alice!

I also did the FF AC a couple of years ago and made it to their Vac Scheme as a result.

The structure is as @Noodles52 said. I would say in general they are looking for people to show a business/commercial awareness on the day. Many of the candidates had not done the GDL/LPC in my cohort, and still made it to the VS. So, try and approach the group exercise/written exercise from that perspective.

The written exercise was quite palatable for my AC as well, a tip would be to make sure you are keeping track of time and not writing a novel. The firm is looking for people to be as concise as possible with this task.

For the group exercise, I would recommend to not speak over people while trying to encourage the quieter members of the group to contribute. FF is big on collaboration and teamwork, so try to focus on fostering a collegial approach.

The partner interview is always my favourite part of these ACs, and here, definitely don't be afraid to be yourself and have a sense of humour. They want to get to know you as a person to see if you would be a good fit for the firm, and not a retelling of your CV. There were lots of competency based questions, and you can find loads of them online to practice beforehand. I found making a list of the possible skills I could mention with matching examples useful for this.

Finally, for the presentation, do NOT go over time.

DM me if you have any more questions, happy to help!

A M

Distinguished Member
    Dec 28, 2020
    Does anyone know if Kirkland have closed their TC apps early? I had been working on my application for a while and now I can't find a TC vacancy when I log into cvmail?
    I dont think they are opening their Direct TC route this time. They have recruited the best candidates from the VS lot.

Alice94

Nov 27, 2019
    Hey Alice!

I also did the FF AC a couple of years ago and made it to their Vac Scheme as a result.

The structure is as @Noodles52 said. I would say in general they are looking for people to show a business/commercial awareness on the day. Many of the candidates had not done the GDL/LPC in my cohort, and still made it to the VS. So, try and approach the group exercise/written exercise from that perspective.

The written exercise was quite palatable for my AC as well, a tip would be to make sure you are keeping track of time and not writing a novel. The firm is looking for people to be as concise as possible with this task.

For the group exercise, I would recommend to not speak over people while trying to encourage the quieter members of the group to contribute. FF is big on collaboration and teamwork, so try to focus on fostering a collegial approach.

The partner interview is always my favourite part of these ACs, and here, definitely don't be afraid to be yourself and have a sense of humour. They want to get to know you as a person to see if you would be a good fit for the firm, and not a retelling of your CV. There were lots of competency based questions, and you can find loads of them online to practice beforehand. I found making a list of the possible skills I could mention with matching examples useful for this.

Finally, for the presentation, do NOT go over time.

DM me if you have any more questions, happy to help!
    Hi Bea,

Thank you so much for all of this really helpful information! I really appreciate all of your insightful tips and advice! I will definitely make sure I make a list of possible skills and match them with relevant examples 😊 Thank you again for all of your help!!

Reactions: Bea Ildem

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    smile.png
    I'm very nervous as it's my first AC - any hints or tips on how to prepare would be hugely appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!
    If you're not already familiar with them, I've written a series of articles on AC prep which are available via the link in my signature 🙂

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alice94 and Anon 11031

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Coming to the end of this years cycle for me, my 2nd cycle, it has been so exhausting whilst juggling the LPC and work. Getting to the AC and then being rejected has really been tough. One thing I have learnt from making applications, is that each time I apply, I have more knowledge and become a better applicant. Last year when I made applications, I didn’t even make it to the AC but this year managed to get AC invites and VIs. Furthest I have gotten.

So proud of those who have been successful in getting TC offers this year - i’m pretty sure it’s only 2% of applicants that get TC's. So amazing.

Also, proud of everyone who have applied and faced rejections - you and I will get that TC! 💪🏽

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Coming to the end of this years cycle for me, my 2nd cycle, it has been so exhausting whilst juggling the LPC and work. Getting to the AC and then being rejected has really been tough. One thing I have learnt from making applications, is that each time I apply, I have more knowledge and become a better applicant. Last year when I made applications, I didn’t even make it to the AC but this year managed to get AC invites and VIs. Furthest I have gotten.

So proud of those who have been successful in getting TC offers this year - i’m pretty sure it’s only 2% of applicants that get TC's. So amazing.

Also, proud of everyone who have applied and faced rejections - you and I will get that TC! 💪🏽
    I resonate with this a lot.

It is my second application cycle also so I know how you feel.

I must say congratulations on getting to an AC as that is an achievement and I know how rejections can affect you and it can have an impact on mental health.

I say think of this year as a reflection and see how you can improve next cycle.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    BDB Pitmans AC this week! Anyone else wish the government legal service just sent all the tests at once? So annoying to have all the mini deadlines.
    Maybe - but in fact, you can just practise for the GLD tests in stages. Focus on each skill as you know you need to. And working in the public sector does demand patience and serial deadlines too! ;):) Well done on the AC, good going!

• Love
    Reactions: Nnu

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: jd3447, MLF and Nnu

siddi7

Standard Member
    Jul 8, 2021
    smile.png
    I also have an AC with Fieldfisher :) what office did you apply too? I'm in the same boat as it's also my first AC as well, so very nervous!

Last edited:

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    If the Latham deadline is 12 July, does that mean its midnight tonight or 11:59 tomorrow, just wanna know if I have time to read over my app again tomorrow after work or if I should do so tonight...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If the Latham deadline is 12 July, does that mean its midnight tonight or 11:59 tomorrow, just wanna know if I have time to read over my app again tomorrow after work or if I should do so tonight...
    Usually means 23.59 on the date given.

Davidsach

Standard Member
    Jul 12, 2021
    Ince direct TC video interview invite!! So surprised as I found one of the application questions really challenging
    Hey congrats. How did it go? What kind of questions did they ask?
    Ince direct TC video interview invite!! So surprised as I found one of the application questions really cen
    Ince direct TC video interview invite!! So surprised as I found one of the application questions really challenging
    Congrats! How did it go? What kind of questions did they ask if you don’t mind me asking?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.