Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would you say its a good idea to include whether a firm does the LPC v SQE in your decision to accept a training contract?
I’d generally avoid it where you can unless a firm is doing something more unique (eg you conduct the SQE whilst working) as ultimately plenty of firms will be doing either option (don’t think it’s really a unique selling factor and only is a very small part of the overall TC).

Reactions: LawGrad19

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    i've only been focussing on direct TCs for this application cycle to no avail ☹️ am i technically wasting my time doing the last six for 30/31 july if vacation scheme students have gotten first dibs. i thought firms had a quota for direct TCs too, but if they've all been filled up, it would be nice to know i could've saved my tears and time and effort being anxious about it... sorry long rant, just dejected

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Anyone heard back from Bevan Brittan or wed lake bell for the direct tc application?
    My friend did the vacation scheme for bevan brittan and hasn’t heard the outcome of that so I think once they find out if they’ve been successful they will then let people know from direct TC (I could be wrong) but from what I’ve seen firms have been telling people from the vacation scheme first then direct TC afterwards

Reactions: dext92

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Thank you, that's really helpful, I think it may be one of the reasons I haven't converted as many as my VIs as I could have.
    Yeah to clarify I had thought it went really well precisely because of how I was able to deliver well prepared answers for each of the questions - I guess they want something much more natural

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    After 5 years of applying, finally secured a TC with an MC firm following the SVS! Thank you all so much for your support and sharing of info - really helped me out a lot mentally over the past 5 years! :)
    Congratulations! That’s amazing news.

Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    i've only been focussing on direct TCs for this application cycle to no avail ☹️ am i technically wasting my time doing the last six for 30/31 july if vacation scheme students have gotten first dibs. i thought firms had a quota for direct TCs too, but if they've all been filled up, it would be nice to know i could've saved my tears and time and effort being anxious about it... sorry long rant, just dejected
    Definitely not wasting your time! Some firms do have an approach where they prefer 50/50 or take at least 30% but I agree it's so demoralising to see they offer a direct TC then to suddenly take that option away from candidates by filling everything from the VS. they Wont have all been filled up but some US firms or small trainee intake firms certainly will have a bit more of an inclination between taking trainees from the VS - not a reflection on you or your skills at all just their process. Keep going and don't give up, even people applying for a mix of VS and TC can go several cycles with no offers - it's the nature of the awful game that is law applications !

• 🤝
    Reactions: BiancaM, A M and Anon 11031

RkRk0681

Star Member
  • Mar 16, 2021
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way :( it's been a tough cycle for me as well. But I'd deffo still do some apps for the 30/31st July deadline, even if it's just to a couple of firms out of the six which you especially like. Wishing you the best of luck :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: karinny, BiancaM and A M
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.