2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
I am unsure if Stephenson Harwood, HFW and Macfarlanes are even offering direct TC places anymore - is it worth applying
I don’t know about SH or HFW but for sure Macfarlanes is still open and recruiting. They actively recruit at least 30% of their intake from a direct TC app. What you have to think about is making your application the best it can be so they don’t/can’t ignore it. If they are full then you can use a very similar application when applying for the VS. Nobody wants to waste their time and I totally agree firms should not be advertising when they have everything filled but if they are open then it’s worth a shot. Worst case scenario you apply again in 6 months time.

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    Hi all,

I know I wasn't the most regular poster in here but I wanted to post to say that I have managed to secure a TC to start in 2022 and also to thank you all for your help this past year. I have found the forum extremely beneficial just from a support POV as it has sometimes been hard for my non-law friends and family to understand the ups and downs of this process. The amount of resources even for non-paying members is incredible. I nearly gave up a few times, but the forum often inspired me to keep going. For anyone worried about grades specifically, for reference, I got a few 2:2 module marks and even had to resit an exam as I was trying to work full time and balance my conversion course at the same. When I was resitting my exam I thought my career was over and I would never succeed or get a TC. Honestly, this couldn't be further from the truth and I really do think the firms I have interviewed at this year have placed way more emphasis on my personality and experience than grades (not MC firms, but still).

So.. Thank you again to everyone I have ever spoken to both on the forum and over message (shoutout to @Andrew M especially). I'll still be around if anyone does need me!

panzerfahrer

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    I am unsure if Stephenson Harwood, HFW and Macfarlanes are even offering direct TC places anymore - is it worth applying
    I know that HFW do occasionally take direct TC places but this cycle they've filled up a lot of them from VS (having just got one! yay!) but they will only look at direct once they're done with picking from the VSs. So up to you?

A

Anon 11031

This is a really random question sorry - for interviews does anyone know if the top buttons on a shirt should be done up for women? (Worn with blazer)
    If it was me I'd make sure they were done up over the chest but I don't think every single button necessarily has to be done. So long as it looks smart ☺️

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Ok this is completely hypothetical but the thought crossed my mind today.

If a candidate was an OnlyFans creator/s*x worker of some kind, how would you detail that on your CV? 😂 if you put it in at all. These platforms are so common these days, surely it must be part of some applicant's life somewhere.

Those who have worked in recruitment, have you ever some across this before?

• Haha
    Reactions: Lisa Lowe

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020

If a candidate was an OnlyFans creator/s*x worker of some kind, how would you detail that on your CV? 😂 if you put it in at all. These platforms are so common these days, surely it must be part of some applicant's life somewhere.

The people I know with Only Fans never put it on their apps for obvious reasons. They also make it so its difficult to identify them on only fans.

Reactions: glaw23

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    The people I know with Only Fans never put it on their apps for obvious reasons. They also make it so its difficult to identify them on only fans.

This is what I was thinking. It is still incredibly stigmatised, and most law firms are only now wrapping their heads around the basics of mental health etc. I can't see and OF creator being looked at positively on their application.

May I ask, those who you know of, is it their only/main source of income? Only because I was also thinking as it could be a gap in a CV if they don't explain it as well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Put frankly, you wouldn’t and no - never seen anything of this nature (or closely related to it) on an application. And I have seen probably the best part of 50,000+ law applications in my lifetime and another 70,000+ other graduate programme applications.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is what I was thinking. It is still incredibly stigmatised, and most law firms are only now wrapping their heads around the basics of mental health etc. I can't see and OF creator being looked at positively on their application.

May I ask, those who you know of, is it their only/main source of income? Only because I was also thinking as it could be a gap in a CV if they don't explain it as well.
    If you are running an account through a limited company/as a sole trader, you’d disclose it via that and fudge the details of what products you were selling.

Reactions: glaw23

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021

Put frankly, you wouldn’t and no - never seen anything of this nature (or closely related to it) on an application. And I have seen probably the best part of 50,000+ law applications in my lifetime and another 70,000+ other graduate programme applications.

If you are running an account through a limited company/as a sole trader, you’d disclose it via that and fudge the details of what products you were selling.

Thank you all! I get these random thoughts often, so I am glad I have somewhere to get responses on these things 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you all! I get these random thoughts often, so I am glad I have somewhere to get responses on these things 😂
    There is something specific about “selling” yourself, even if it’s just some fairly tame pictures, that just crosses a line when you are working in a professional and client focused industry. I don’t think it would go down well in most professional services.

I once had my Facebook profile cloned and used for some pretty dodgy content, and it was such a pain in the backside having to explain it wasn’t me and the risks of people assuming it was, especially at a time when if you googled me the firm’s name was at the top of search results. It wasn’t perceived very well that even I was cloned, let alone if I had actually been responsible for the content.

There are other things that are seen more regularly that could be questioned, albeit not anywhere near the same level of scrutiny. Mainly people who are professional gamblers/poker players who make income from it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.