2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Guys so this is a bit of a summary of my application profile: 63 average so far in my law degree from LSE (only second year counts). Have had legal work experience: Interned at Squire Patton Boggs in May-June 2021 for 3 weeks and also did an in-house legal internship with a really big regional company in the Middle East in June 2021. I will be interning with the Jan Trust which is an award winning UK charity for a month from August- non legal internship though. I have been pretty happy with my applications as I have had successful vac scheme/training contract applicants look over the applications and rare recruitment provide advice and feedback which I have tried to implement. What am I missing out now? Do you guys think its a combination of my 63 average and then the whole thing of submitting the applications just a week/few days before deadline? Would appreciate some suggestions about how to improve my applications for the 2021-2022 round. Thank you guys in advance :)

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
Guys so this is a bit of a summary of my application profile: 63 average so far in my law degree from LSE (only second year counts). Have had legal work experience: Interned at Squire Patton Boggs in May-June 2021 for 3 weeks and also did an in-house legal internship with a really big regional company in the Middle East in June 2021. I will be interning with the Jan Trust which is an award winning UK charity for a month from August- non legal internship though. I have been pretty happy with my applications as I have had successful vac scheme/training contract applicants look over the applications and rare recruitment provide advice and feedback which I have tried to implement. What am I missing out now? Do you guys think its a combination of my 63 average and then the whole thing of submitting the applications just a week/few days before deadline? Would appreciate some suggestions about how to improve my applications for the 2021-2022 round. Thank you guys in advance :)
I've personally found the TCLA application review service wonderful! - honestly even those applications you think are perfect before you send it for review - they send back to you with a 1000 suggestions for improvement and so far the 4 I've had reviewed have been successful at the initial application stage. Even if you don't have them all reviewed, you get the a much better idea of what you need to do for the rest. Good luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No don’t think it’s just down to these factors in all honesty, unless you are only applying to firms that 1) don’t recruit heavily from direct TC applications or 2) have a strong reputation for wanting exceptional academics.

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2021
For application questions on achievements - can I talk about something I'm currently working on? For example I'm working on a particular essay I'm hoping will be published in an undergraduate law journal but (1) they haven't opened submissions and I probably won't know until after I make my applications and (2) I really don't know if it'll get published. I could back it up by saying my tutor recommended me to submit it to the law journal though.

A

Anon 11031

For application questions on achievements - can I talk about something I'm currently working on? For example I'm working on a particular essay I'm hoping will be published in an undergraduate law journal but (1) they haven't opened submissions and I probably won't know until after I make my applications and (2) I really don't know if it'll get published. I could back it up by saying my tutor recommended me to submit it to the law journal though.
What is the wording of the actual question? 😊

If this was me, I probably wouldn't write about this just because it's an uncertain example. I would try and focus on something you have completed and therefore gained skills from or been able to reflect upon.

Hope that helps!

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2021
What is the wording of the actual question? 😊

If this was me, I probably wouldn't write about this just because it's an uncertain example. I would try and focus on something you have completed and therefore gained skills from or been able to reflect upon.

Hope that helps!
alright thank you! There's no exact question, I'm just planning ahead hahaha

Reactions: Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would advise picking something you have an outcome on, unless you can show what the achievement is outside of being published.

Reactions: lawstudent12345

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Has anyone heard from Norton Rose? Or does anyone know if they have given out telephone interview invites/offered direct training contracts yet? Deadline was 11th July but haven't heard a word from them since then.

Reactions: BiancaM
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.