2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
Jan 8, 2021
Same position, had my PGDL offer at Waterloo confirmed the other day. September 2021, @ me if you'll be in my intake! All I personally said in my personal statement was that I was applying with a TC and that this was where my firm wanted me to go, didn't write a proper statement per se :)
Hi Jacob, How long did it take for BPP to get back to you with your offer?

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Hello - I had an email saying 'we will let all candidates know the outcome of their application by the end of July 2021' but have still heard nothing. Have you? I didn't get my application in until end of May but am not sure how to read this silence....maybe I have fallen off a spreadsheet somewhere...
    Literally nothing, but I think others have received offers already. Annoying when they don't bother to tell others in the time they agreed.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hey guys, was just wondering whether anyone has heard from (or even applied for) the direct TC at Cleary Gottlieb or Gibson Dunn? Conscious they both closed very recently but I was under the impression they were rolling applications.

And yes, I am conscious they rarely take anyone from the direct TC route, but both had their direct application portals open this year so I hope they'll at least get back to me....

• Dislike
    Reactions: AW_08

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey guys, was just wondering whether anyone has heard from (or even applied for) the direct TC at Cleary Gottlieb or Gibson Dunn? Conscious they both closed very recently but I was under the impression they were rolling applications.

And yes, I am conscious they rarely take anyone from the direct TC route, but both had their direct application portals open this year so I hope they'll at least get back to me....

I actually know someone who got through and was offered a TC at Cleary through the direct route. I think they take 1-2 people max that way.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    hello, i just got a freshfields wg invite this morning and was wondering if people have found when you're practicing, that the percentiles are concerning? i did full practice tests on assessmentday and here are the results (attempt 1 from april, attempt 2 from today):

Test 1 - Attempt 1: 13th percentile, 68% accuracy
    Test 1 - Attempt 2: 18th percentile, 71% accuracy
    Test 2 - Attempt 1: 67th percentile, 83% accuracy
    Test 2 - Attempt 2: 95th percentile, 93% accuracy

I'm baffled with the difference in the percentile figures and how inconsistent i am, can't really suss out how the curve could be so steep? i'm scared to take the wg test because i've been rejected after this stage a couple of times and deadline is on saturday. i have a learning disability but that's more to do with working memory, i don't know what type of adjustment would even help me 🥲

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hello, i just got a freshfields wg invite this morning and was wondering if people have found when you're practicing, that the percentiles are concerning? i did full practice tests on assessmentday and here are the results (attempt 1 from april, attempt 2 from today):

I'm baffled with the difference in the percentile figures and how inconsistent i am, can't really suss out how the curve could be so steep? i'm scared to take the wg test because i've been rejected after this stage a couple of times and deadline is on saturday. i have a learning disability but that's more to do with working memory, i don't know what type of adjustment would even help me 🥲
    The six month difference between taking the assessment could reflect your improved score. If you have been in education or working in an environment that tests these skills out regularly, then you will have improved your ability in them.

The percentiles scores are likely to be a form of bell curve. Most candidates will perform somewhere in the middle and therefore when you are given a percentile ranking (which ranks you against other candidates) it can get more congested in “middle ground” scores, as more people are likely to end up there than very low or very high scores.

Note percentile rankings are not consistent across tests. Just because you get the 18th or 95th percentile in this test, does not mean you will get a similar percentile in the Freshfields assessment.

Reactions: BiancaM

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019

I applied to GD in February for the direct TC, but still not heard anything back. I think it's very very very rare for them to take a direct TC applicant unfortunately, which is annoying as they allow applications... but fingers crossed!

Reactions: TC fiend

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    The six month difference between taking the assessment could reflect your improved score. If you have been in education or working in an environment that tests these skills out regularly, then you will have improved your ability in them.

The percentiles scores are likely to be a form of bell curve. Most candidates will perform somewhere in the middle and therefore when you are given a percentile ranking (which ranks you against other candidates) it can get more congested in “middle ground” scores, as more people are likely to end up there than very low or very high scores.

Note percentile rankings are not consistent across tests. Just because you get the 18th or 95th percentile in this test, does not mean you will get a similar percentile in the Freshfields assessment.
    thank you for explaining this jessica! really appreciate it. i guess apart from studying the test solutions and practicing, i cant really foresee what percentile i would have scored in for specific firms. i have previously requested results back from baker mckenzie but didn't hear back, not sure if it was rude of me to have asked.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    thank you for explaining this jessica! really appreciate it. i guess apart from studying the test solutions and practicing, i cant really foresee what percentile i would have scored in for specific firms. i have previously requested results back from baker mckenzie but didn't hear back, not sure if it was rude of me to have asked.
    Not rude to have asked - some firms provide this detail, others don’t.

Your percentile ranking would be tricky to understand what it means as you don’t know who you are being assessed against. It isn’t the case that you could be ranked against other applicants. You could be ranked against partners in the firm (which could result in a low percentile) or be ranked against GCSE level educated people (resulting in a high percentile).

It’s why I try to stress to people that knowing your percentile actually doesn’t mean much beyond knowing how close you were to meeting that specific firms benchmark.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    oh man, this is the second time this has happened i think. i just got a "This application window is open to penultimate year undergraduates only and therefore you are not currently eligible to apply at this time." from NRF. when am i eligible to apply for NRF TCs otherwise?

i'm a career changer and GDL graduate if that helps.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    oh man, this is the second time this has happened i think. i just got a "This application window is open to penultimate year undergraduates only and therefore you are not currently eligible to apply at this time." from NRF. when am i eligible to apply for NRF TCs otherwise?

i'm a career changer and GDL graduate if that helps.
    The graduate direct TC window is earlier, had a January deadline I believe.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    The graduate direct TC window is earlier, had a January deadline I believe.
    i'm confused with the wording for each firm because i got told for Clifford Chance TC 2023 during my GDL studies that i needed to be: "penultimate year law; or final year non-law."

during my GDL, surely i would be eligible for either one of those? sorry if i'm being dense.

then for Slaughter & May TC 2024, it was for law students but after my GDL, would I be eligible or am i still non-law? i prematurely ended my app to them as i thought i wouldn't be eligible 🤯 🤯

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    i'm confused with the wording for each firm because i got told for Clifford Chance TC 2023 during my GDL studies that i needed to be: "penultimate year law; or final year non-law."

during my GDL, surely i would be eligible for either one of those? sorry if i'm being dense.

then for Slaughter & May TC 2024, it was for law students but after my GDL, would I be eligible or am i still non-law? i prematurely ended my app to them as i thought i wouldn't be eligible 🤯 🤯
    I feel you!

I got in touch with S&M and I can confirm you that you are not a law student. It is a bit of a jungle, but I think that if you get in touch with the firms they can provide further explanation.

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021

Hey! Congratulations on getting a WG test link, may I ask what day you applied? :)

Willbur

Apr 26, 2021
    Literally nothing, but I think others have received offers already. Annoying when they don't bother to tell others in the time they agreed.
    I remember when I applied that there was an option to apply for '22 or '23 so I am wondering if they are dealing with '22 and then moving to '23. I mean, clearly I am just in denial about my pending PFO haha, but you have to live in hope. How long before it's appropriate to chase do you think, end of the week?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.