2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
I’m considering going to Scotland for a month to volunteer in conservation but I won’t have any service the whole trip! Is this a silly thing to do/should I just be prioritising training contract applications again? I’ve applied to a couple TCs that may have September interviews but this is just hypothetical, and they may well just reject me…

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I’m considering going to Scotland for a month to volunteer in conservation but I won’t have any service the whole trip! Is this a silly thing to do/should I just be prioritising training contract applications again? I’ve applied to a couple TCs that may have September interviews but this is just hypothetical, and they may well just reject me…

Sounds like a really cool thing to be doing. I’d go for it - especially if you think you’d regret NOT doing it. You could always ask them for an online interview - I fee like firms will still be doing them for a while.

Reactions: AspiringSol

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    Sounds like a really cool thing to be doing. I’d go for it - especially if you think you’d regret NOT doing it. You could always ask them for an online interview - I fee like firms will still be doing them for a while.
    Yeah that’s the thing, I won’t have any service or internet so feels like more of a risk :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Yeah that’s the thing, I won’t have any service or internet so feels like more of a risk :(

Ahhhh okay sorry my bad I missed that in your original post. That definitely does make it a tougher call but I’m still in favour of you doing it. If it’s not something you will get the opportunity to do again, it seems worth pursuing it rather than turning it down for something that may or may not happen. In the long run it also seems like one of those experiences that will really help your apps stand out too! Maybe the final thing you should consider is how much did you like the firms you sent out direct TC apps to - if they aren’t necessarily your top choice firms missing out on the first stage post app assessment might be easier to swallow?

• Love
    Reactions: AspiringSol

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    Ahhhh okay sorry my bad I missed that in your original post. That definitely does make it a tougher call but I’m still in favour of you doing it. If it’s not something you will get the opportunity to do again, it seems worth pursuing it rather than turning it down for something that may or may not happen. In the long run it also seems like one of those experiences that will really help your apps stand out too! Maybe the final thing you should consider is how much did you like the firms you sent out direct TC apps to - if they aren’t necessarily your top choice firms missing out on the first stage post app assessment might be easier to swallow?
    Aw yeah thank you! I do really like one of the firms and I emailed them to ask about when they’re doing interviews but they haven’t responded yet… I’m just hoping they’ll do some before I leave preferably but if not, I suppose I have another year to apply? It is tough but as you said I just feel like I won’t have the opportunity to do it again!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    As Dheepa said, if this is a one time chance you get I'd say f** the applications and go! It's not in any way guaranteed whether you'll get an interview (or whether the interviews will even happen in that timeframe), and if you do get an interview and it can't be rescheduled, you can always crank up your data plan so you can sit through a virtual / phone interview anyway. I think you're in a better position when you're saying "dang, this firm wants to interview me next week so I gotta get myself to a town with a steady wifi connection!" than sitting at home reading your PFO emails thinking "dang, I could be in Scotland right now".

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What is the best thing to say when you renege an offer because of another TC? Also is it best by phone or email?
    I think by phone is the best from a politeness perspective (think breaking up by text...), and then theyre likely to ask you to follow up with something in writing thereafter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.