2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 20, 2020
amazingg, good luck! when did you hear back? i applied early nov so hopefully will hear back soon
I heard back at the beginning of December! They wanted to interview me mid-December, but was on a vac scheme so had to postpone until February (the next TC interview batch). I'm sure you'll hear back soon!!! Best of luck

• 🤝
Reactions: bibss, JoNo and jan28

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
To those that applied to Freshfields, did you also face difficulties inserting your Post-16 Education in the application form? I completed this part of my education outside the UK and every time I click on 'Other' for the type of education I sat for the age 16-18 exams, the only option I am given is to insert grades for Scottish Higher Results, and Scottish Advanced Higher Results :( Am a bit worried as grad rec is not responding to my email, and the submission deadline is soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tushar

Tushar

Distinguished Member
Mar 18, 2020
To those that applied to Freshfields, did you also face difficulties to insert your Post-16 Education in the application form? I completed this part of my education outside the UK and every time I click on 'Other' for the type of education I sat for the age 16-18 exams, the only option I am given is to insert grades for Scottish Higher Results, and Scottish Advanced Higher Results :( Am a bit worried as grad rec is not responding to my email, and the submission deadline is soon.

Happened the same with me, when I was applying to their Graduate Workshop

Reactions: castrooo

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jessica Booker : Based on your experience at Freshfields, would you say there is any advantage in mentioning in your personal statement a current employee you spoke to at the firm?

Thank you.

Only if you were saying something substantive to go along with it (i.e. it genuinely relates to why you are applying to Freshfields). In that case, it can help to prove your point. If it's just for the sake of demonstrating you spoke to someone at the firm, it won't add value.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Guys - an important reminder that for anyone submitting to Freshfields, there is a template document you need to download when you are in the application portal which you copy and paste your personal statement into before uploading. Good luck to everyone submitting!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker : Based on your experience at Freshfields, would you say there is any advantage in mentioning in your personal statement a current employee you spoke to at the firm?

Thank you.

depends on why you are mentioning them. If it’s just to put there name in, then no. If there is substance/context behind it, then maybe.

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    Hi guys, can someone clarify the two direct TC application window for Freshfields? Their winter application window closes on the 7th but their summer application window opens from the 1st of June to the 15th of July 2021.

What are the differences between the two? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, can someone clarify the two direct TC application window for Freshfields? Their winter application window closes on the 7th but their summer application window opens from the 1st of June to the 15th of July 2021.

What are the differences between the two? Thank you.

From their website:

Apply directly for a training contract:
    Winter training contract application window: 5 October 2020 to 7 January 2021

Who can apply:

• final-year law and non-law students
    • law and non-law graduates
    Summer training contract application window: 1 June to 15 July 2021

Who can apply:

• penultimate and final-year undergraduate law students (UK law degree)
    • law graduates (UK law degree)
    • GDL graduates

Cantab_95

Legendary Member
    Sep 19, 2019
    Another Freshfields question here - if I sent a statement last year that was sufficient to get me invited to the Watson Glaser test, would it be ok to resend that statement again this year or would it almost definitely need to be different?

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    From their website:

Apply directly for a training contract:
    Winter training contract application window: 5 October 2020 to 7 January 2021

Who can apply:

• final-year law and non-law students
    • law and non-law graduates
    Summer training contract application window: 1 June to 15 July 2021

Who can apply:

• penultimate and final-year undergraduate law students (UK law degree)
    • law graduates (UK law degree)
    • GDL graduates

Thanks Jessica. I understand I am eligible for both but I am curious if there's any difference between the two that I might have missed, as I've never encountered firms with two recruitment windows. E.g: does it impact TC starting dates or are they completely the same.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.