Not open for further replies.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
I’ve read that they have recently made a lot of cuts - could be that they’re progressing less because they intend to hire less?
Yeah I think you could be right. To be fair I would be pretty annoyed to be one of the London office associates they are letting go if they then take in a whole load of trainees a few months later...

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    One of the questions on Baker McKenzie direct training contract application is Law firms are all different - tell us about three things, which are personal to you, that you feel differentiate Baker McKenzie from other leading firms and encouraged you to apply?

I wanted to know if I can discuss their global reach by distinguishing it with White and Case that White and Case is known for the different number of languages spoken and Baker McKenzie global is different to that and how their global reach gives them a competitive advantage.

What do you lot think is this a good idea or not and thank you.

Hi Asil,

The question makes a big reference to personal reasons so I would focus on the reasons the global approach at BMK is important to you. If you'd like to make a reference to the firm's competitors (like W&C), I would keep it very brief and look at it from the angle of considering why Bakers are able to offer something different from their competitors to you as opposed to focusing on a more generic competitive advantage point. Also would like to caution against the language point generally. aving lawyers that speak a wide range of languages isn't exactly unique to global firms anymore.

NA27

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 19, 2020
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted your advice. I am considering applying to Baker McKenzie for a direct TC. However, I don't currently have any formal legal experience (in the form of vac schemes etc), so I was wondering if it might still be worth a shot?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Best,
    Nicky

CK74

Sep 14, 2020
    One of the questions on Baker McKenzie direct training contract application is Law firms are all different - tell us about three things, which are personal to you, that you feel differentiate Baker McKenzie from other leading firms and encouraged you to apply?

I wanted to know if I can discuss their global reach by distinguishing it with White and Case that White and Case is known for the different number of languages spoken and Baker McKenzie global is different to that and how their global reach gives them a competitive advantage.

What do you lot think is this a good idea or not and thank you.
    Hey! Would you (or anyone else!) mind posting the other questions on the Bakers direct TC app form this year, if you have them? I'm planning to apply but have a lot on the next couple of weeks so don't want to actually start my application properly quite yet, but would like to start thinking about my answers a bit! thanks :)

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted your advice. I am considering applying to Baker McKenzie for a direct TC. However, I don't currently have any formal legal experience (in the form of vac schemes etc), so I was wondering if it might still be worth a shot?

Best,
    Nicky
    Hi, I don’t have any legal work experience but I’m still applying. It’s not essential to have specific legal experience you just need to demonstrate the competencies they’re looking for through non work legal experience/volunteering etc.

NA27

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 19, 2020
    Hey! Would you (or anyone else!) mind posting the other questions on the Bakers direct TC app form this year, if you have them? I'm planning to apply but have a lot on the next couple of weeks so don't want to actually start my application properly quite yet, but would like to start thinking about my answers a bit! thanks :)
    Hey, here you go:

• Law firms are all different - tell us about three things, which are personal to you, that you feel differentiate Baker McKenzie from other leading firms and encouraged you to apply? (300 words max)*
    • Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you. (300 words max)*
    • We are proud of our inclusive approach and how we have built an environment where people from diverse backgrounds can thrive, and are key to our success as a Firm. Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in. (300 words max)*
    • Please tell us about a goal you set out to achieve. Why was this important to you and what was the outcome? (300 words max)*
    • Please tell us what you consider to be your key achievements and interests to date. (300 words max)*

• Love
    Reactions: Veep9 and CK74

NA27

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 19, 2020
    Hi, I don’t have any legal work experience but I’m still applying. It’s not essential to have specific legal experience you just need to demonstrate the competencies they’re looking for through non work legal experience/volunteering etc.

Great, thanks for your kind response Abbie! Good luck with your application :)

CK74

Sep 14, 2020
    Hey, here you go:

• Law firms are all different - tell us about three things, which are personal to you, that you feel differentiate Baker McKenzie from other leading firms and encouraged you to apply? (300 words max)*
    • Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you. (300 words max)*
    • We are proud of our inclusive approach and how we have built an environment where people from diverse backgrounds can thrive, and are key to our success as a Firm. Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in. (300 words max)*
    • Please tell us about a goal you set out to achieve. Why was this important to you and what was the outcome? (300 words max)*
    • Please tell us what you consider to be your key achievements and interests to date. (300 words max)*
    Amazing, thank you so much! Good luck with your application!

• 🤝
    Reactions: NA27

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Hi everyone,

Best,
    Nicky
    I applied last cycle to their direct Tc - I had quite a bit of extra curricular but besides one week experience in my first year no legal experience - I got through to the vi!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.