2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kls

Distinguished Member
Jan 11, 2021
Just doing the Stephenson Harwood application and the last question is 'Are there any other particular matters you wish to mention?' and then suggests, reasonable adjustments, career changers, gap year or 'do you have any additional information that you have not included elsewhere in the form that the interviewer should be aware of?'. I don't need adjustments, am not a career changer, didn't do a gap year (although i did do a year abroad but have already talked about that on the application) so wasn't sure what to put and if i needed to put anything at all - wondered if anyone could help :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just doing the Stephenson Harwood application and the last question is 'Are there any other particular matters you wish to mention?' and then suggests, reasonable adjustments, career changers, gap year or 'do you have any additional information that you have not included elsewhere in the form that the interviewer should be aware of?'. I don't need adjustments, am not a career changer, didn't do a gap year (although i did do a year abroad but have already talked about that on the application) so wasn't sure what to put and if i needed to put anything at all - wondered if anyone could help :)
You don’t need to put anything there but is there anything you haven’t been asked elsewhere in the application that you wish you had the opportunity to present?

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I left it blank and got through to the next stage.

kls

Distinguished Member
Jan 11, 2021
You don’t need to put anything there but is there anything you haven’t been asked elsewhere in the application that you wish you had the opportunity to present?
I can't think of anything in particular but if I do I shall put it here! Thank you so much
I left it blank and got through to the next stage.
Okay brilliant thank you so much!

Emily K

Valued Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 29, 2018
Did my WG for Freshfields a few weeks ago now. Got my results back and I did pretty poorly lol. But, my portal hasn't updated since being issued the WG?

Completed – Updated: Jan 29, 2021

Anyone else in a similar or same boat?

Same position, my portal was also last updated on the day I was sent the WG (4th Feb). Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Reactions: dosblancos7

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Did my WG for Freshfields a few weeks ago now. Got my results back and I did pretty poorly lol. But, my portal hasn't updated since being issued the WG?

Completed – Updated: Jan 29, 2021

Anyone else in a similar or same boat?
    I am not asking for my results back cause I don't like stressing myself out but I know myself and a few other people are in the same position as you - I suspect the firm is doing this via batches?

Reactions: dosblancos7

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    I am not asking for my results back cause I don't like stressing myself out but I know myself and a few other people are in the same position as you - I suspect the firm is doing this via batches?

I believe they only had about 10 interview slots when I booked so maybe they’ll invite the next batch once those are done

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I believe they only had about 10 interview slots when I booked so maybe they’ll invite the next batch once those are done
    Yeah it may work like that.

It would be silly not to think they don't have a method considering they will probs have around 1k applications - they will need to find a method around it.

Reactions: futuretraineecity

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    I was just wondering if anyone was still waiting to hear back from Slaughter and May? They emailed me back in January for clarification on my grades and I still haven't heard anything from them.
    I applied in early December and still haven't heard. I know of people who have TCs there who last year didn't get a response for 3 months or more after sending in direct TC apps. I think just have to be patient with them!

Reactions: GR and bzheng

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Freshfields AC!!!!!!!! This is my first interview this cycle and so my voice is already gone from all my screaming!!!! For context, I applied on the deadline, had my first portal update a month after and WG invite a few days later. The test was my Valentine. And heard back a few hours ago!
    Well done!!!!

Hope it all goes well! :D

• Love
    Reactions: Manifesting

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Does anyone have any insight about directly applying for a TC at a firm which rejected you for the vac scheme? In my rejection email they said that I reached the final shortlist but I was 'pipped to the post'. Would you guys advise going for the TC anyway? I feel a bit apprehensive about it since if I wasn't good enough for the VS why would I be good enough for the TC? And what kind of things would you do to make the application stronger?

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Does anyone have any insight about directly applying for a TC at a firm which rejected you for the vac scheme? In my rejection email they said that I reached the final shortlist but I was 'pipped to the post'. Would you guys advise going for the TC anyway? I feel a bit apprehensive about it since if I wasn't good enough for the VS why would I be good enough for the TC? And what kind of things would you do to make the application stronger?

I think it depends on the firm. Some firms are happy for you to reapply generally, some are happy for you to reapply specifically for the TC and some don’t let you apply if unsuccessful at VS interview.

If they don’t have a policy stopping you from reapplying to TC, I think you might as well try. You may have developed your skills and experience since your VS interview. Hopefully the feedback post VS interview will also make you better prepared for a TC interview

Good luck :)

D

Deleted member 8227

I was wondering if anyone knows if I withdraw my current Freshfields TC application, can I apply for the summer cycle? I know it was a terrible application and I haven't got a WG invite yet but don't know if I can reapply within the same cycle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.