2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msh123

Premium Member
Jul 10, 2019
I broadly agree with this and just thought to give it a boost and add my two cents.

Looking at data published by Chambers Student and AllAboutLaw, there are approximately 5,500 available training contracts total in the U.K. every year. In the Chambers Student 2020, there were 82 firms listed. For argument's sake, let's assume that these are the 'top-82' (however you want to define that) commercial law firms in the U.K. In total, these 82 firms offered approximately 1,357 training contracts. This means that over 75% of training contracts in the U.K. come from outside of those firms!

Now, whilst it might be rich for me to advocate applying to smaller firms/regional firms, etc. when I didn't, I do think candidates give themselves a tough time when they only apply for the highest bracket, and don't even consider those who aren't (for argument's sake) in the MC/SC/Elite U.S. bracket. I knew of an associate at an Elite U.S. firm, who trained at a low-mid market firm. They then moved to an SC firm, and then moved to the U.S. firm.

I should add that you don't have to make those moves! You should focus on doing the kind of work you want, at the place that you want! Prestige shouldn't be your main focus in this day and age - that will not make you (or the firm you work for!) happy. Rather, you should focus on your attraction to the career, what kinds of work you like/would like doing, and what environment is best for you. Likewise, some might say that they know the MC/Elite U.S. is the best place for them, which is equally fine and valid.

Anyway, I think the main point is just to echo what @Matt_96 has said, and encourage candidates to focus on the career and the work ahead, rather than to get bogged down with obsessing over one firm, or 'prestige'. And, if that one firm/prestige really matters to you, there are countless examples of individuals who have worked they way up and achieved it - that path always remains open.
I suppose it depends on the individual - and if smaller firms aren't for someone, they aren't for someone (eg would rather go into IB/another industry) - as you said yourself, focus on the work you want at the place you want and if smaller firms aren't what someone's after that should also be fair enough. Especially given the need to wait 2 years to start a TC and then another 2 years spent training where you don't want to be. Sorry I found his comment pretty condescending.

I suppose it depends on the individual - and if smaller firms aren't for someone, they aren't for someone (eg would rather go into IB/another industry) - as you said yourself, focus on the work you want at the place you want and if smaller firms aren't what someone's after that should also be fair enough. Especially given the need to wait 2 years to start a TC and then another 2 years spent training where you don't want to be. Sorry I found his comment pretty condescending.
It's often hard to know what tone someone comments in; however, I think all interactions here, including the previous comment and the posting member, has got everyone's best interests at heart.

Anyway, let's keep it positive, everyone - this cycle has been a rough one, and I think everyone could do with a bit of a boost!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I broadly agree with this and just thought to give it a boost and add my two cents.

Looking at data published by Chambers Student and AllAboutLaw, there are approximately 5,500 available training contracts total in the U.K. every year. In the Chambers Student 2020, there were 82 firms listed. For argument's sake, let's assume that these are the 'top-82' (however you want to define that) commercial law firms in the U.K. In total, these 82 firms offered approximately 1,357 training contracts. This means that over 75% of training contracts in the U.K. come from outside of those firms!

Now, whilst it might be rich for me to advocate applying to smaller firms/regional firms, etc. when I didn't, I do think candidates give themselves a tough time when they only apply for the highest bracket, and don't even consider those who aren't (for argument's sake) in the MC/SC/Elite U.S. bracket. I knew of an associate at an Elite U.S. firm, who trained at a low-mid market firm. They then moved to an SC firm, and then moved to the U.S. firm.

I should add that you don't have to make those moves! You should focus on doing the kind of work you want, at the place that you want! Prestige shouldn't be your main focus in this day and age - that will not make you (or the firm you work for!) happy. Rather, you should focus on your attraction to the career, what kinds of work you like/would like doing, and what environment is best for you. Likewise, some might say that they know the MC/Elite U.S. is the best place for them, which is equally fine and valid.

Anyway, I think the main point is just to echo what @Matt_96 has said, and encourage candidates to focus on the career and the work ahead, rather than to get bogged down with obsessing over one firm, or 'prestige'. And, if that one firm/prestige really matters to you, there are countless examples of individuals who have worked they way up and achieved it - that path always remains open.
    Very well said mate!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon08 and Matt_96
    A

Anon 11031

I'm still waiting to hear back from DAC Beachcroft. Their applications closed on the 29/01/2021. Is it reasonable for me to ask them for an update? Is there anyway I can email them without sounding too rude?

Reactions: Matt_96

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I'm still waiting to hear back from DAC Beachcroft. Their applications closed on the 29/01/2021. Is it reasonable for me to ask them for an update? Is there anyway I can email them without sounding too rude?

I would also like to know what's going on too, although I'm not really holding out hope for my app as I submitted it rather late in the day.

It's not unreasonable to ask for an update at all. Just say that the firm was one that you were very interested in learning more about and you're keen to know the outcome - and that any info graduate recruitment could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey! Have you not emailed them yourself yet either? Were you planning on doing it?

Yeah, I mean I start a job full-time with HMRC at the end of this month and will also be studying my law degree full-time too. So I'm trying to get things sorted before then because I imagine I'm not going to have an awful lot of time haha.

I haven't emailed them yet, no. But eventually I'll get round to it. Still have a LOT of firms I'm waiting on as many of the direct TCs I applied to didn't have deadlines until may anyway.

Congrats on your new role!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.