2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Got rejected post Womble Bond online tests today...

And Mayer Brown ...

And Winckworth Sherwood post video interwiew...

Rough day T_T
    Reach out if you want someone to talk to as I know what it feels like as I got 3 rejections and bad uni results all in 1 day so know what it feels like.

A

Anon 11031

I'm currently filling out a TC application form and wonder if someone could help with how to approach a question. I've been asked this on a couple of occasions. Essentially, the question I always struggle with is "why would a client pick x firm?" or "what do clients look for in a law firm?". I am struggling to relate the question back to the firm because, presumably, they're looking for commercial awareness here - I don't really know what to put down as key qualities clients might look for.

@Jessica Booker - maybe you have some insight into this? I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has answered something similar and had success with it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm currently filling out a TC application form and wonder if someone could help with how to approach a question. I've been asked this on a couple of occasions. Essentially, the question I always struggle with is "why would a client pick x firm?" or "what do clients look for in a law firm?". I am struggling to relate the question back to the firm because, presumably, they're looking for commercial awareness here - I don't really know what to put down as key qualities clients might look for.

@Jessica Booker - maybe you have some insight into this? I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has answered something similar and had success with it!
    I am useless with the commercial questions - @Dheepa or @Jacob Miller might be better placed on this one.

Reactions: Anon 11031

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Anyone heard back from Baker McKenzie yet? I know their deadline is today. When are we likely to hear back? I’m assuming mid April?

mr bean waiting GIF

Reactions: Asil Ahmad and Jedward87

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021

M&M

• Oct 22, 2020
    Hey guys!

I had applied for a VS and a TC with Hogan Lovells during the 2019-2020 cycle and I want to try again but on their website, it says that students are only able to apply to the firm twice. Does anyone know if they're strict about this? should I apply anyway?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey guys!

I had applied for a VS and a TC with Hogan Lovells during the 2019-2020 cycle and I want to try again but on their website, it says that students are only able to apply to the firm twice. Does anyone know if they're strict about this? should I apply anyway?
    They are strict with this I know someone applied a second time and they said that is strike 2. you are out.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Hey,

I think the key thing to remember here is not to overcomplicate it.

When approaching questions like this, I would generally consider the following factors (pretty much in this order, too):
    1. Ability: the firm has to be able to provide legal and commercial advice in the given area to solve the client's problem. First and foremost, this is about identifying what practice areas a firm has which can solve XYZ issues.
    2. Cost factor: Obviously good legal advice doesn't come cheap, but the firm must provide good value for money. What sort of billing structures can be considered? Could alternative fee arrangements be used?
    3. Added value etc: what can X firm give, on top of the other areas discussed, that others can't? If the client is looking for a panel firm, could the firm give them some trainees on secondment? Also consider other things here in terms of parallel or converging ethos and 'business morals' - these sorts of ethical decisions are being taken more and more seriously by more and more clients now.

Hope this helps some :)

A

Anon 11031

Hey,

I think the key thing to remember here is not to overcomplicate it.

When approaching questions like this, I would generally consider the following factors (pretty much in this order, too):
    1. Ability: the firm has to be able to provide legal and commercial advice in the given area to solve the client's problem. First and foremost, this is about identifying what practice areas a firm has which can solve XYZ issues.
    2. Cost factor: Obviously good legal advice doesn't come cheap, but the firm must provide good value for money. What sort of billing structures can be considered? Could alternative fee arrangements be used?
    3. Added value etc: what can X firm give, on top of the other areas discussed, that others can't? If the client is looking for a panel firm, could the firm give them some trainees on secondment? Also consider other things here in terms of parallel or converging ethos and 'business morals' - these sorts of ethical decisions are being taken more and more seriously by more and more clients now.

Hope this helps some :)
    Hey,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I really appreciate it. Would you say that in regards to each of these points you should try and find information specifically about the firm that relates? Or is that maybe taking it a step too far considering it's not easy to get hold of information regarding billing structures etc?

Thank you again! ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.