2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
I haven't heard from BM at all yet but I'm starting to get the sense that they're turning down most people for direct TCs - certainly not progressing 40% to the next stage like it says on their website. I know that TCLA is a tiny fraction of the people who apply for firms, but pretty much everyone on TCLA is a high-calibre candidate, with either a track record of getting ACs or very likely to get ACs soon. I think some of us would have heard positive news by now if BM were considering more than a handful of applications

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear you feel this way. I do however know exactly what you mean as I had a similar experience this year where I got rejected post telephone interview stage with a firm I last year had AC with... (note - this year I am a much better candidate with a lot more experience than beginning of 2020). Thus, please try not take this so personally. I now know after seeing how this process is that a lot of this is genuinely luck... The fact that you reached an AC with them means you have got what it takes. Please remember that 🧡
    Hello, thank you so much for this message, it means a lot to me and I appreciate it.

To go into detail, the issue is that I'm sitting on an offer from a TC with a high-street firm that is due to start in Sept. this year. I'm a bit older than those fresh out of uni and will have to go through with it if nothing else terms up in the meantime. So the pressure is really on to wangle an offer from a firm I am passionate about.

I'm also really upset because I've made numerous applications this cycle (20+) and almost none of them made it past the first round - which is completely unusual for me. I know it's not the quality of the apps (as I've been successful before at this stage many times) and can chalk it up to the heightened application conditions this year, but I'm finding it incredibly tough.

Thanks again <3

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I haven't heard from BM at all yet but I'm starting to get the sense that they're turning down most people for direct TCs - certainly not progressing 40% to the next stage like it says on their website. I know that TCLA is a tiny fraction of the people who apply for firms, but pretty much everyone on TCLA is a high-calibre candidate, with either a track record of getting ACs or very likely to get ACs soon. I think some of us would have heard positive news by now if BM were considering more than a handful of applications
    Maybe, maybe not. I do see your point though. I'm trying to not make too many assumptions before I hear back as it drives me personally mad. Let's hope that's not the case 🤝 🧡

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    just received my BM PFO. Devastated, and confused, as have reached AC with them before. Close to tears.
    So sorry to hear that. I received my PFO this week too and it really got to me as I worked really hard on that application. But if it makes you feel better, everyone is in the same basket - no one's heard positively from BM. I hope you feel better soon :)

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I get the sense that with the huge numbers of excess apps for VS this year direct TC might be much slimmer pickings. Due to firms having such high calibre VS participants, as well as transferring some of the excess VS applicants over to direct TC, and then more than usual also trying to secure via direct TC this year. I think we probably need to be prepared that a lot of strong applications won’t get through the first round this time.

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    So sorry to hear that. I received my PFO this week too and it really got to me as I worked really hard on that application. But if it makes you feel better, everyone is in the same basket - no one's heard positively from BM. I hope you feel better soon :)
    Thanks so much Nadine. It's like a shark tank out here. I hope you're feeling better about yours too and that your remaining apps go well!

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    That's very kind, thank you. I think it's more about all the 'final shots' I've had with BM and other firms that is making me so upset. I've messed up so many final round chances I've had before, and now I don't get a shot at all. Don't worry, I know - of all people - you guys on here understand what this is like. It's just really tough.
    I think it's hard to remember just how competitive AC stages are to get to. I've made it to roughly 4ish ACs this cycle and a handful of round 1 interviews/TIs/VIs etc, which I sadly didn't convert into an offer, but when I tell people about these AC invites they're extremely shocked. I think we become a bit desensitised to getting AC/TI/VI invites because it's so commonplace on this forum but the fact you're getting so many "final shots" is an unbelievable achievement. I think ACs require a lot of getting used to - you have to acclimatise to them and learn from your feedback. You can prep and practise as much as you want for ACs, but nothing helps you learn the process better than attending the ACs themselves. It's a gradual learning process.

Your position has not changed as a result of those rejections. You're as much of a strong candidate as you were before you were given those "final shots". You just have to keep persevering.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Maybe, maybe not. I do see your point though. I'm trying to not make too many assumptions before I hear back as it drives me personally mad. Let's hope that's not the case 🤝 🧡
    Yeah, not trying to discourage! I think they'd have just rejected everyone off the bat if they weren't considering direct TCs this year. It's just odd that so many people are getting rejections, at such disjointed dates and times!

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Yeah, totally agree, it does seem very random!
    The only thing that's changed is that on cvmail, the "anonymity" section of my application receipt has changed from Details Locked to Not Anonymous. No idea what that means but somebody else in this thread had the same thing

Reactions: Roomba

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    I think it's hard to remember just how competitive AC stages are to get to. I've made it to roughly 4ish ACs this cycle and a handful of round 1 interviews/TIs/VIs etc, which I sadly didn't convert into an offer, but when I tell people about these AC invites they're extremely shocked. I think we become a bit desensitised to getting AC/TI/VI invites because it's so commonplace on this forum but the fact you're getting so many "final shots" is an unbelievable achievement. I think ACs require a lot of getting used to - you have to acclimatise to them and learn from your feedback. You can prep and practise as much as you want for ACs, but nothing helps you learn the process better than attending the ACs themselves. It's a gradual learning process.

Your position has not changed as a result of those rejections. You're as much of a strong candidate as you were before you were given those "final shots". You just have to keep persevering.
    Thanks so much for this, I'm really grateful for you and it has lifted my spirits. I'll try to bear this in mind, but it's really quite difficult - I think, *especially* when you know you're capable.

I hope to keep persevering, but I'm growing a bit tired of this devastation (I'm sure this will pass by tomorrow) and I this is my final application cycle so it's really all hands on deck.

Congratulations on all your AC success this cycle and I wish you the best with your remaining apps.

Reactions: M777

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    The only thing that's changed is that on cvmail, the "anonymity" section of my application receipt has changed from Details Locked to Not Anonymous. No idea what that means but somebody else in this thread had the same thing
    I remember what the WG invite email looked like from last year so I'll be able to tell immediately if it's a PFO or not 😵 🥲🥴

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Thanks so much for this, I'm really grateful for you and it has lifted my spirits. I'll try to bear this in mind, but it's really quite difficult - I think, *especially* when you know you're capable.

I hope to keep persevering, but I'm growing a bit tired of this devastation (I'm sure this will pass by tomorrow) and I this is my final application cycle so it's really all hands on deck.

Congratulations on all your AC success this cycle and I wish you the best with your remaining apps.
    Why is this your final application cycle? :(

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Yep mines been like that for a couple of days now. I’m sure they review apps blind hence the anonymity status. I can only assume that change means that someone has now read it and they’ve made a decision and we’ve just not received an email with the outcome.

Reactions: M777
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.