2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    As a lawyer, you at going to make lots of mistakes. They just want to see they you can learn from when you make them. So the me component of this is how you learnt from it and how the situation improved by your trying to resolve the mistake or not make it again.
    Hi Jessica. Thanks. I understand this aspect (what have you learned etc), but I'm having trouble locating a real example in which I have made a mistake to draw on. I'm not so ridiculous to say I've not made any mistakes, but am having trouble finding an example that I can talk about at length.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica. Thanks. I understand this aspect (what have you learned etc), but I'm having trouble locating a real example in which I have made a mistake to draw on. I'm not so ridiculous to say I've not made any mistakes, but am having trouble finding an example that I can talk about at length.
    It's tricky for anyone to advise on this is you don't think you have any examples.

Try to think of instances when you have set yourself to high expectations, have spread yourself too thinly and so haven't been able to deliver everything to the necessary standard. They would examples of mistakes too.

If you really are still struggling, it doesn't really help for this instance, but I would encourage yourself to challenge yourself more so that you have opportunities to fail.

Reactions: N.9

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    It's tricky for anyone to advise on this is you don't think you have any examples.

Try to think of instances when you have set yourself to high expectations, have spread yourself too thinly and so haven't been able to deliver everything to the necessary standard. They would examples of mistakes too.

If you really are still struggling, it doesn't really help for this instance, but I would encourage yourself to challenge yourself more so that you have opportunities to fail.
    Thanks Jessica, I will think some more. With all due respect, I do think I've challenged myself plenty (for example, moving to work abroad just as the pandemic began, amongst others), it's just that I've not 'failed' in the way this question presupposes.

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Hello! I'm so sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask this, but has anyone taken/currently taking the online GDL? I'm an international student currently trying to decide between U of Law's online GDL or waiting a year to take the MA Law, and I feel like I don't have the necessary experience to decide! Does anyone happen to have advice on which is a more useful programme? Thank you so much in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica, I will think some more. With all due respect, I do think I've challenged myself plenty (for example, moving to work abroad just as the pandemic began, amongst others), it's just that I've not 'failed' in the way this question presupposes.
    I'm not saying you haven't. It's just more that law firms will wonder if you have challenged yourself enough if you haven't failed/made mistakes along the way.

To put it frankly, one of the major issues with new trainees is that many of them can't deal with failure/scrutiny/making mistakes and so it is quite a common trait that law firms will look for and see whether your character has engrained in it.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I agree with what Jessica says here - it's important to remember that perception and reality won't always align perfectly.

If I were you, I'd try and think outside the box here. Quite left-field examples can still be great and also are likely to set yourself apart from other candidates.

Maybe change how you consider "failure" in this context, too. Are you maybe taking quite a linear definition of it (I.e. complete/ total failure)? Speaking from experience, in the past, I've done consulting work on a pre-agreed price basis... woefully underestimated the hours the project would take and it's cost me money. Even though the projects have always been 100% on point, on time and on budget for clients, I've failed to adequately assess jobs and I'm the one who had to swallow the impact of that.

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    I agree with what Jessica says here - it's important to remember that perception and reality won't always align perfectly.

If I were you, I'd try and think outside the box here. Quite left-field examples can still be great and also are likely to set yourself apart from other candidates.

Maybe change how you consider "failure" in this context, too. Are you maybe taking quite a linear definition of it (I.e. complete/ total failure)? Speaking from experience, in the past, I've done consulting work on a pre-agreed price basis... woefully underestimated the hours the project would take and it's cost me money. Even though the projects have always been 100% on point, on time and on budget for clients, I've failed to adequately assess jobs and I'm the one who had to swallow the impact of that.
    I am definitely trying hard to think outside the box! Most of the errors I have been involved in resolving were those made by others, unfortunately for me in this question, haha.

Thanks to you and @Jessica Booker's advice I think I have an example from my last position wherein our team was a bit overambitious with a presentation we were doing to the department, and we also faced technical difficulties (also stemming from being overambitious!) - so I think I can use it :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am definitely trying hard to think outside the box! Most of the errors I have been involved in resolving were those made by others, unfortunately for me in this question, haha.

Thanks to you and @Jessica Booker's advice I think I have an example from my last position wherein our team was a bit overambitious with a presentation we were doing to the department, and we also faced technical difficulties (also stemming from being overambitious!) - so I think I can use it :)
    I would try to focus on your failure rather than a team’s. The example will be fine if you made is over ambitious.

Reactions: Idlewild and N.9

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    😭 😭 I got the rejection today from Baker after taking their WG on Tuesday. I've not passed this stage so far, having the app halted after taking tests for Hogan Lovells and Ashurst last semester. When I was practicing WG, I got results ranging from 67-95 percentile so I'm inconsistent.☹️ Is direct TC route just not for me?

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    😭 😭 I got the rejection today from Baker after taking their WG on Tuesday. I've not passed this stage so far, having the app halted after taking tests for Hogan Lovells and Ashurst last semester. When I was practicing WG, I got results ranging from 67-95 percentile so I'm inconsistent.☹️ Is direct TC route just not for me?
    If the direct TC route wasn’t for you then you would not have been sent the WG in the first place! Good on you for trying and I hope you get that break soon!

• 🤝
    Reactions: BiancaM, BoulderCO and JayC

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    What are the tests for Ashurst like? I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth investing time into doing their application form.
    In one of the tests they show you a bunch of pictures of different people and you have to match their expression to statements. The other is a maths puzzle type game. You can’t really prepare for it. I think it’s called Revalin or something like that.

• Wow
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.