2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi there, has anyone tackled the 'Please give details of any qualifications or skills that may be relevant to your application' in the Rosenblatt application, please?

I'm unsure as to what exactly this is asking, considering the application is sufficiently thorough. Any insight would be appreciated :)
    This is really an additional space for you to discuss things which you feel are relevant and strengthen your application but which you have not mentioned elsewhere.

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    This is really an additional space for you to discuss things which you feel are relevant and strengthen your application but which you have not mentioned elsewhere.
    Thanks! Usually, I would have assumed as such, but it's the first question in the application form so I was a bit thrown off (rather than the last, where I'm used to seeing it). Thanks again!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thanks! Usually, I would have assumed as such, but it's the first question in the application form so I was a bit thrown off (rather than the last, where I'm used to seeing it). Thanks again!
    If I were you, before answering it, look through all the questions/ requirements and plan your answers for each.

If it's the first question, that suggests it is more substantive than just "mopping up", so I think planning all the answers will be important.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Apply to the LPC for a September start date :)
    As @whisperingrock said, this can be quite late. I have known people to join a course a week or so after it started (although I wouldn’t advise that).

Particularly with the SQE, I suspect these courses will be less and less popular over the coming years and so you won’t struggle to get on them if you have a 2.1 and can find a way to finance the course.

Obviously you mentioned getting sponsored by a firm, but that could determine everything for you anyway. For most firms recruiting for 2023 this year (who will sponsor you) they probably wouldn’t rush you on to this year’s course anyway.

CJCH

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 2, 2020
    If I want to start a TC in March 2023, is it practically possible to complete the LPC part-time in 18 months starting from Sep 2021?

:)Anyone has experience with BPP can shed some light? (ULaw confirmed that they don't offer the 18 months mode anymore)

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    If I were you, before answering it, look through all the questions/ requirements and plan your answers for each.

If it's the first question, that suggests it is more substantive than just "mopping up", so I think planning all the answers will be important.
    Right, that's what I thought. It's quite hard to do so as the application features numerous extensive questions, so I'm at risk of repeating myself.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Right, that's what I thought. It's quite hard to do so as the application features numerous extensive questions, so I'm at risk of repeating myself.
    Hate to sound like a stuck record... but I think that actually makes planning all the more important! If it were me here, I would write out a big table/ list/ mindmap (whatever works for you) with all the elements to all the questions and all the different things you could write about for each. From there, match different content to different questions and keep everything nice and clear so you don't get yourself in a muddle.

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hate to sound like a stuck record... but I think that actually makes planning all the more important! If it were me here, I would write out a big table/ list/ mindmap (whatever works for you) with all the elements to all the questions and all the different things you could write about for each. From there, match different content to different questions and keep everything nice and clear so you don't get yourself in a muddle.
    No, not at all I appreciate it! I have done that, it's more that I am going to actually run out of enough things to say for this question, having used the content elsewhere. I'll try to think of more new things for this section then!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know of a Baker McKenzie deal that involved an insane amount of multiple jurisdictions?
    I have to stress this is said a lot in applications for BM. Make sure your motivations are clear as to why an insane amount of multiple jurisdictions is important to you.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    If I want to start a TC in March 2023, is it practically possible to complete the LPC part-time in 18 months starting from Sep 2021?

:)Anyone has experience with BPP can shed some light? (ULaw confirmed that they don't offer the 18 months mode anymore)
    I’m doing the LPC part time spread across 2 academic years. The workload will be an issue, there’s a lot of content to get through. If you work full time you’ll struggle to attend all the lectures/tutorials, complete all the work and prep for exams. I personally find it difficult getting everything done in the time I have. I spend most of the weekend prepping for lectures etc. so you’ll need to have good time management skills. It’s doable but it will be tough.

Reactions: CJCH

Lawyer101

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 30, 2020
    If you're a domestic student, you can probably apply up to a week before it starts and still get in.

As @whisperingrock said, this can be quite late. I have known people to join a course a week or so after it started (although I wouldn’t advise that).

Particularly with the SQE, I suspect these courses will be less and less popular over the coming years and so you won’t struggle to get on them if you have a 2.1 and can find a way to finance the course.

Obviously you mentioned getting sponsored by a firm, but that could determine everything for you anyway. For most firms recruiting for 2023 this year (who will sponsor you) they probably wouldn’t rush you on to this year’s course anyway.
    Brilliant, thank you both! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.