2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
In my email acknowledgment from them post submitting application, they stated they were reviewing on a rolling basis for the Direct 2023 TC. However, I think if you applied for the 2024 one it may be reviewed non-rolling.
I see, thanks. On CVMail I applied for the 2023/24 one, so I assume this is non rollling - the deadline is june 25 for that one

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Out of curiousity, did you receive an acknowledgement after submission? I submitted mine but it till has the edit/review option and I'm a bit confused? Haha
I didn't receive a confirmation by email, only on the application it says completed. Mine also allows edit, maybe they can be edited up to the close date? I haven't seen that before on any other applications though

• 🤝
Reactions: Anon 11031
A

Anon 11031

Wondering if anyone has any advice on this.

I am applying for offices outside of London, mainly for international or large law firms. When it comes to my motivation I almost always mention the areas I like such as financial regulation and banking. However, a firm I'm applying to is strong in these areas but the office I'm applying to doesn't seem to have a team dedicated to this sort of stuff. Rather, it has a strong tech and data protection presence. Do I still talk about the work the firm has generally done in my preferred areas (even if this was more in London) or should I aim to research and strongly focus on the office I'm applying for? I don't know a great deal about data protection nor am I overly interested in it...so I feel a bit stuck.

Help?

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Wondering if anyone has any advice on this.

I am applying for offices outside of London, mainly for international or large law firms. When it comes to my motivation I almost always mention the areas I like such as financial regulation and banking. However, a firm I'm applying to is strong in these areas but the office I'm applying to doesn't seem to have a team dedicated to this sort of stuff. Rather, it has a strong tech and data protection presence. Do I still talk about the work the firm has generally done in my preferred areas (even if this was more in London) or should I aim to research and strongly focus on the office I'm applying for? I don't know a great deal about data protection nor am I overly interested in it...so I feel a bit stuck.

Help?
    Not a direct answer to your question...but if that firm isn't doing any work in an area you're interested in, would you actually enjoy working there? For example, I'm not overly interested in disputes work but I still applied to a few firms that were strong in this area - I can now see that were was no point in applying to these firms because my interests didn't match at all what they offered (and this obviously came through in my application because I was rejected almost immediately, which wasn't the case for firms with which my interests aligned). If you're not interested in data protection and struggle to write an application answer, this may be a good early sign that's it's not the right firm for you! Sorry I know this doesn't really answer your question but it's an important lesson I've learnt this cycle.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Anon 11031
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.