2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

202023r

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 28, 2019
    Bit of a weird one - was rejected for a direct TC interview, the main reason being academic inconsistency which was referring to an AS level grade I got (4 years ago btw). Was asked about the grade in the interview but did not give a fully honest answer to explain that grade (which was because I bereaving but did not feel comfortable talking about that in the interview and did not feel that the grade and context would have such a bearing in the final outcome)

Is it advisable to inform the firm of the mitigating circumstances I had for my AS-levels or is it too late now that I have been rejected?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Bit of a weird one - was rejected for a direct TC interview, the main reason being academic inconsistency which was referring to an AS level grade I got (4 years ago btw). Was asked about the grade in the interview but did not give a fully honest answer to explain that grade (which was because I bereaving but did not feel comfortable talking about that in the interview and did not feel that the grade and context would have such a bearing in the final outcome)

Is it advisable to inform the firm of the mitigating circumstances I had for my AS-levels or is it too late now that I have been rejected?
    You could write to the firm and say that you are disappointed by the decision based on this factor and that you hadn’t been comfortable in disclosing the bereavement in the interview.

This is where I will sound brutal (and I don’t mean to be) but I suspect it won’t effect the decision. I suspect there were other factors that led to their decision but that this was what they focused on in the feedback.

But there is no harm in telling the firm in my opinion.

It seems to be very weird to interview someone when they could see the AS grades on your application. If they had a concern about it, the sensible thing would have been not to interview you.

H S

Distinguished Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Most are open until July 31 I believe, but better to look for those that recruit a large amount direct
    Is there a list available for firms that recruit largely from direct TCs?

Or @Jessica Booker is it advisable to just go for it regardless of stats? Essentially, various health factors prevented me from sending applications in by the VS deadlines, so I'm largely counting on TC apps now..

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021

So sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to talk about these things because I was asked a similar question during an interview and found it a little hard to talk about. However, someone from WBD Grad Rec told me to always be open and honest about these things because that shows that we can overcome hardship.

If I were you I would get in touch with them. Not sure if that will change anything, but it won’t hurt. But maybe @Jessica Booker will be better positioned to answer you. All the best 🙂

• ℹ️
    Reactions: 202023r

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is there a list available for firms that recruit largely from direct TCs?

Or @Jessica Booker is it advisable to just go for it regardless of stats? Essentially, various health factors prevented me from sending applications in by the VS deadlines, so I'm largely counting on TC apps now..
    If the applications are open to you, and you want to apply to that firm, I would apply! You have to be in it to win it!

• Love
    Reactions: H S

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Reactions: H S

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

Was this Slaughter and May.

Reactions: 202023r
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.