Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! Thanks so much for replying.

In regards to the second question, looking at the phrasing, do you think it's okay to talk about an area of law that is becoming more regulated. Like, in the sense that it will be an opportunity for the firm to expand and learn more about this emerging area of law. Or would you say opportunities are more based on growth in certain markets?

I'm finding it really difficult to answer. I'm really interested in regulatory stuff and I have an idea in mind but I don't know how I could relate to it being an 'opportunity' 😔
Yes, that is a reasonable subject to tackle for such a question

TCGIRLLL

Star Member
Apr 21, 2021
What did you include in the covering letter as I am not sure what to discuss in the covering letter.
As the questions are so many and it may seem repetitive, I felt like this was the best approach. I haven’t submitted mine yet though.

For the cover letter, first, I talked about why Orrick more generally, and for me, it’s their strength in the energy sector. Then I went on to talk about my motivation behind energy law( I have a story lol 😭). Then concluded with a why me paragraph of my skills and how they’ll be valuable to orrick. It’s just 500 words.

I was scared to overlap with the last question of why do I want to train at orrick but here, I talked about their unique training contract structure and the perks for me. That one is just 200 or 250 words I think.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    As the questions are so many and it may seem repetitive, I felt like this was the best approach. I haven’t submitted mine yet though.

For the cover letter, first, I talked about why Orrick more generally, and for me, it’s their strength in the energy sector. Then I went on to talk about my motivation behind energy law( I have a story lol 😭). Then concluded with a why me paragraph of my skills and how they’ll be valuable to orrick. It’s just 500 words.

I was scared to overlap with the last question of why do I want to train at orrick but here, I talked about their unique training contract structure and the perks for me. That one is just 200 or 250 words I think.
    I am in the same situation also as I am thinking of discussing why Orrick in covering letter then it is repetition but thank you very much for this. Also if you want to discuss how to approach the application questions then feel free to reach out.

Reactions: TCGIRLLL

Vesania

Star Member
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Sorry to be bearer of bad news but if I am reading the email from BM correctly, if we have not heard back today. We are unsuccessful.

“As a reminder, all video interviews will be screened on a rolling basis and candidates will find out whether their interview has been successful by no later than 7th May.”

from the VI invitation email^

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Sorry to be bearer of bad news but if I am reading the email from BM correctly, if we have not heard back today. We are unsuccessful.

“As a reminder, all video interviews will be screened on a rolling basis and candidates will find out whether their interview has been successful by no later than 7th May.”

But.... strength in numbers - someone on this forum would have got an AC invite - I wouldn't give up hope yet!

SS1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2020

I still interpret that as saying we should all hear by today 'whether our interview has been successful'. - They are probably extra busy or our video interviews are just too amazing and they are taking longer than anticipated to truly appreciate them all :cool:

Reactions: E.A and JayC

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021

No, this is false. I emailed graduate recruitment and they said that they haven’t told anyone whether they have been successful or not. So pls guys, let’s keep these worries off the forum, bc we really do not need the extra stress 😂😂

plus no one on this forum has heard back yet so it’s definitely indicative that they haven’t got back to anyone.

have a good weekend guys

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    No, this is false. I emailed graduate recruitment and they said that they haven’t told anyone whether they have been successful or not. So pls guys, let’s keep these worries off the forum, bc we really do not need the extra stress 😂😂

plus no one on this forum has heard back yet so it’s definitely indicative that they haven’t got back to anyone.

have a good weekend guys
    Thanks for sharing
    :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: John Travoni

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019

have a good weekend guys
    It'd also be pretty weird to ghost people at video interview stage considering they rejected people at app stage (me) and also did so at WG stage

s.k.o

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2019

from the VI invit

I still interpret that as saying we should all hear by today 'whether our interview has been successful'. - They are probably extra busy or our video interviews are just too amazing and they are taking longer than anticipated to truly appreciate them all :cool:
    haha this sounds like a WG test now. cheeky BM

• Haha

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Exactly this is why this forum is so legendary - imagine being an aspiring solicitor alone in the wild trying to work out what it means to have not heard from BM by their 'at latest' date! :eek:

kevin mccarthy GIF

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.