2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    anything from dentons recently? still havent heard post app and i applied 2 weeks ago
    as far as I know one of the members of their GR team has just left (have her on LinkedIn) so that might be the reason everyone is hearing back so late compared to earlier in the cycle when turnaround was really quick. I think the UKGR team may be only 2 people now

• ℹ️
    Reactions: LeilaScott and TCGIRLLL

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi! Thanks so much for replying.

In regards to the second question, looking at the phrasing, do you think it's okay to talk about an area of law that is becoming more regulated. Like, in the sense that it will be an opportunity for the firm to expand and learn more about this emerging area of law. Or would you say opportunities are more based on growth in certain markets?

I'm finding it really difficult to answer. I'm really interested in regulatory stuff and I have an idea in mind but I don't know how I could relate to it being an 'opportunity' 😔

Increased/new regulation is definitely something you can talk about. In terms of how to relate it to being an opportunity, think about how it would affect the firms existing clients in that market and also new clients seeking to enter that market.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
    Advice Needed!

On TC applications, should I mention that I've secured 2 VS at other firms?

Will this impress them or will it sound like I'm not fully committed to that firm?

Any advice is appreciated!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Advice Needed!

Will this impress them or will it sound like I'm not fully committed to that firm?

You should put this information down, yes. It will show that you are a successful and competitive candidate and don't need to apply to the firm you are applying for, but have chosen to anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Advice Needed!

Definitely include them unless they are complete opposite firms (eg the TC is a large international, full practice firm based in London and your VS if with a criminal high street firm in Sunderland). But even with the exceptions you might still include them as some work experience is better than none.

Reactions: philjones

RB

Star Member
    Jun 7, 2020
    Might be a silly question - I'm interested in applying for Ashurst's March 2023 TC and I am aware that applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. I haven't submitted my application yet but if they have filled their spaces for their March 2023 intake before they review my application and let's say *IF* they like my application, do you think they may consider me for their September 2023/March 2024 intake or would I have to wait for the next application season to reapply?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Might be a silly question - I'm interested in applying for Ashurst's March 2023 TC and I am aware that applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. I haven't submitted my application yet but if they have filled their spaces for their March 2023 intake before they review my application and let's say *IF* they like my application, do you think they may consider me for their September 2023/March 2024 intake or would I have to wait for the next application season to reapply?
    Most likely would just tell you to reapply if it is a different recruitment cycle. I think it would only be if you got to offer stage and the firm wanted to make you an offer, but didn’t have any spaces left, that they would offer you a later intake.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: RB

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    has anyone heard from Macfarlanes other than rejections?

I haven't applied but got through to their Direct TC AC last year, after applying sometime in mid-November 2019. I didn't receive my invite until August 2020, and a friend of mine who did the year before didn't get a response until late July. You've got plenty of time so focus on some other applications rather than worrying about Macs :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.