2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
Feb 12, 2021
In which case, I'm hoping I get an interview - I think the only difference was my resilience was teamwork instead! Did you apply to London? I applied to Manc, but I think they said they've only started doing the interviews over the past week or so for two offices (but don't quote me on that!)

Hi, I'm yet to submit my application for the Manchester office! Do you think it would be silly of me to submit, considering they are in the stage of interviewing?

A

Anon 11031

Hi, I'm yet to submit my application for the Manchester office! Do you think it would be silly of me to submit, considering they are in the stage of interviewing?
I haven't heard the outcome of my app yet and I submitted last week. By the sounds of it, they're doing them in batches and they seem to have started with the London office. I haven't heard of anyone getting an interview for Manc (yet).

I absolutely think there's a point in you submitting your app! Just seems like there's a real emphasis on the fact it's rolling, they even prefer you to take an earlier AC if you can! I would do it sooner rather than later :)

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Just got a Dentons telephone interview - the only available slot is during my finals though, would it be ok to email and ask if I could possibly do so the next week after my exams are over? The email does say "We will continue to update the available slots, so please keep an eye on the system if none of the current ones work for you." but I am worried about missing out!! @Jessica Booker I would really appreciate any help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just got a Dentons telephone interview - the only available slot is during my finals though, would it be ok to email and ask if I could possibly do so the next week after my exams are over? The email does say "We will continue to update the available slots, so please keep an eye on the system if none of the current ones work for you." but I am worried about missing out!! @Jessica Booker I would really appreciate any help!
No harm in emailing them and saying that a) you have exams and b) you don't want to miss out.

They may just redirect you back to the booking system and ask that you check it regularly, but there is absoultely no harm in explaining the situation to them, even if its just to find out when new time slots may be released or if they can manually book you in.

A

Anon 11031

Hi @Jessica Booker , I'm having a little trouble with a Shoosmiths application question and I was wondering if you could help. I'm wondering whether they want to hear about the impact of the pandemic, issues the legal profession is facing more widely or future problems (as eluded to by 'looking forward'). What are your thoughts?

The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated change to our ways of working and the delivery of client service. Looking forward, consider the challenges facing the profession and describe how Shoosmiths can remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability? There are many issues which may feed in to this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities. (400 words)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I'm having a little trouble with a Shoosmiths application question and I was wondering if you could help. I'm wondering whether they want to hear about the impact of the pandemic, issues the legal profession is facing more widely or future problems (as eluded to by 'looking forward'). What are your thoughts?

The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated change to our ways of working and the delivery of client service. Looking forward, consider the challenges facing the profession and describe how Shoosmiths can remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability? There are many issues which may feed in to this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities. (400 words)
    Technology is a factor to consider.

Reactions: Anon 11031

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    No harm in emailing them and saying that a) you have exams and b) you don't want to miss out.

They may just redirect you back to the booking system and ask that you check it regularly, but there is absoultely no harm in explaining the situation to them, even if its just to find out when new time slots may be released or if they can manually book you in.
    Thank you! just sent one hopefully it will be fine :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I don't think you need to focus on the pandemic as such. To me this is very much a forward looking question - how can they "remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability".

For me, most applications fall down slightly by only explaining what Shoosmiths has already done (not looking forward) or just mention a whole load of stuff without thinking about the profitability point.

You have to cover three priorities (so only 130 words each) so being erally concise and on point will be better.

I'd also try to avoid generalisations (e.g. technology / innovation ) and try to provide more specific examples of these things that they should be thinking about utilising. Pretty much anyone will state technology (which won't make your application stand out) but focuses on a specific type of technology will be far more unique.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jacob Miller and Anon 11031

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I woukd substantively agree with all Jess' points raised above.

For me, this is a forward-looking question really asking about how to improve in the future. I think focusing on the pandemic in and of itself probably wouldn't be great here. As mentioned, find specific examples here rather than being too generalist.

It's absolutely essential not to forget the final few words of that question: "without compromising profitability". Try and consider law firms as businesses here - what can they do which is of little cost but provides added value to clients? Or, alternatively, what investments coukd the firm make which will save money in the long term and also add value for clients by improving their current competitive offering?

I find a great way to begin approaching things like this is with a mind map plotting out all the current elements of the firm's competitive offering and then looking for gaps or areas for improvement.

Best of luck!

• 🤝
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.