2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I'm really sorry, friend. It absolutely sucks so much. I've told myself I'm going to have a bath and then try to pick myself up. Do something nice for yourself, it's okay to be sad ❤️
    Thank you ❤️ It feels really nice to read this. I am so grateful that we have such a supportive community here. I hope things get better for you too x

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Not me crying after receiving a rejection. I feel like I'm just not confident enough to get through the TC app process. It sucks.

What’s important to remember, and what I’m trying to tell myself as someone struggling with confidence as well is to take stock of your success far. You’ve just received an interview invite too!

This is the first time I’ve reached the interview stage for a TC and I also have received a number of interviews for other legal positions recently too!

It’s hard to focus on these big achievements when you expect too much of yourself or the process. A perfect candidate doesn’t exist because each firm, although they look for similar things, will prioritise them differently/look for slightly different attributes. Ultimately, those quirks are outside your control and all you can do is put the best version of yourself out there. The right firm will align with you then, not the other way round.

A

Anon 11031

What’s important to remember, and what I’m trying to tell myself as someone struggling with confidence as well is to take stock of your success far. You’ve just received a interview invite too!

This is the first time I’ve reached the interview stage for a TC and I also have received a number of interviews for other legal positions recently too!

It’s hard to focus on these big achievements when you expect too much of yourself or the process. A perfect candidate doesn’t exist because each firm, although they look for similar things, will prioritise them differently/look for slightly different attributes. Ultimately, those quirks are outside your control and all you can do is put the best version of yourself out there. The right firm will align with you then, not the other way round.
    Thank you for this. I really needed to hear it.

My partner was speaking to me today and told me I should be incredibly proud of the fact that out of the 3 firms I've heard back from, I have managed to get an interview with 2 of them. But it's hard to look at this when you've received a rejection. Then I just end up in a hole of thinking "well, I look good on paper so what is wrong with me in person?".

But yes, it's as much about you fitting with them as them fitting with you. I also think that I'm just going to take the approach of seeing it like a normal job from here on out. I've never failed a job interview for any other profession in the past, so I can only really think I'm putting pressure on myself thinking that a TC is a spectacular and unachievable aim. I think I am expecting far too much of myself.

Thank you for your kindness x

Reactions: Lumree and MLF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just received an email from Fieldfisher stating that I still haven’t completed the online tests and due to that, my application has not progressed. But I completed them more than a week ago. What do I do?
    Contact them and see if there is a technical issue. You may end up having to do the test again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Got a TC interview next week. This is my first TC video interview (had ACs before, but not a video interview). Any advice would be appreciated 😊
    Some great advice in this thread:

• Love
    Reactions: Mea

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    @Jaysen has there recently been a newsletter or post about striving too much to be the ‘perfect’ candidate vs being yourself? I feel I’ve seen something from TCLA recently on the topic but I can’t find it - I could do with the reminder on the topic myself!

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Not me crying after receiving a rejection. I feel like I'm just not confident enough to get through the TC app process. It sucks.
    Bless you, it is so hard mentally. I find it difficult when I have gone into real depth of research which just makes me love the firm, its not personal but it sometimes it feels that way.

Just remember that you have firms that have been really interested in you and wanted to meet you! That is huge, particularly this year.

You have value and these knock-backs will just make you even more resilent. You will end up where you are meant to be

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    @Jaysen has there recently been a newsletter or post about striving too much to be the ‘perfect’ candidate vs being yourself? I feel I’ve seen something from TCLA recently on the topic but I can’t find it - I could do with the reminder on the topic myself!

There was this one for anyone else who needs to hear it!

Reactions: Alison C and Jaysen
    A

Anon 11031

No but I’m on this scheme with my uni where I get sent straight through to the last stages of their application process- not sure whether that’s their AC or final interview
    I would imagine that there AC is considered to be the final stage. The partner interview is nowhere near as comprehensive and they probably wouldn't be able to get a picture of what you're actually like!

macala russell

Star Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I would imagine that there AC is considered to be the final stage. The partner interview is nowhere near as comprehensive and they probably wouldn't be able to get a picture of what you're actually like!
    Yeah but to be honest I’m doing a two week work experience at their firm this summer, so they will probably get a good idea of what I am like from that

A

Anon 11031

Yeah but to be honest I’m doing a two week work experience at their firm this summer, so they will probably get a good idea of what I am like from that
    Nice, in which case it might just be the partner interview which I think would be separate. Probably worth emailing their grad recruitment and having a conversation with them :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.