2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I know this may sound like a dumb question, but my AC says you must have your camera on at all times.

Does that include for the written task and things? So bizarre, I'm used to turning my camera off at work when I actually am concentrating 😅
    In my AC where they said we had to have the camera on at all times in the instructions they let us turn it off for the written exercise so I'd say just follow what they say or ask on the day if you need clarification! It might depend on the person conducting it as well.

Alice94

Nov 27, 2019
    Congratulations, that's amazing!

I would advise you try and think about "why Fieldfisher?" some more. Really research the firm, further than your application, and be prepped to explain why you like them so much. Also, think about generally why law and other motivational questions like that.

I would also think about your personal qualities, what skills you have and what skills you might want to develop or grow. Alongside that, prepare for general competency style questions. They cover a broad range of skills! There were 8 questions in total. It was supposed to last 30 minutes but I think mine ended up being closer to 45.

Good luck! :) x

(there wasn't a great deal of emphasis on anything in the news, but I think current commercial awareness could be incorporated into other questions to really give your answers an edge. So it's definitely worth being aware of how businesses work, your sector interests and maybe the work the firm is doing in them?)
    This is incredibly insightful - thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I am a little confused by this. Can you please clarify?

"Please complete this as soon as you are able to, and by midnight on Thursday 10th June at the latest."

Does this mean that I have the whole of Thursday or up until Wednesday (23:59)?

Thank you x

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I am a little confused by this. Can you please clarify?

"Please complete this as soon as you are able to, and by midnight on Thursday 10th June at the latest."

Does this mean that I have the whole of Thursday or up until Wednesday (23:59)?

Thank you x
    I would expect it to mean 23.59 on Thursday 10th June.

Is it a video interview and if so, is it on Launchpad?

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As I have 3 days, including today, to prepare for my assessment centre - where should I focus my attention?

I'm currently doing exams so I'm going to have to prep in the evenings. Super conscious this just won't be enough time!
    Remember you have already done a lot of the preparation needed, whether it was researching the firm for the application process or in preparation for your earlier interview(s).

Do you know what exercises you will have at the AC? This will help me give a bit more precise advice.

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    Has anybody heard anything from shoosmiths post application? I’ve heard a couple of people have received VI invites but I’ve had nothing yet. Worried it may be a sign of a PFO.
    I haven't heard back yet but I wouldn't worry, they said they would get back to everyone by 22 June. Plenty of time and still quite a while to go!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So the AC consists of:

- a written exercise, which in the workshop was described to be a business advisory case (no law);
    - a group exercise;
    - an interview (60 mins), which is with HR and a senior associate; and
    - an individual presentation, which you're given 30 mins to prep for on a pre-prepared topic.

Hope that helps!
    The group exercise and written exercise you can't really prepare for to be honest. They are very much assessments you have to prepare for in their preperation time you are given before hand.

I'd focus your prep on the interview with HR and a Senior Associate. There might be some repetition with your earlier interview - so don't be surprised if you are asked similar (or the same questions). Think about maybe what you didn't get the opportunity to demostrate in the earlier interviews too - it might be that they are more likely to come up this time around.

When do you get your topic for the individual presentation?

A

Anon 11031

The group exercise and written exercise you can't really prepare for to be honest. They are very much assessments you have to prepare for in their preperation time you are given before hand.

I'd focus your prep on the interview with HR and a Senior Associate. There might be some repetition with your earlier interview - so don't be surprised if you are asked similar (or the same questions). Think about maybe what you didn't get the opportunity to demostrate in the earlier interviews too - it might be that they are more likely to come up this time around.

When do you get your topic for the individual presentation?
    Ah, I see. I think the written exercise will probably be to write a letter of advice. - I think I'm just afraid I won't know what I'm looking for. I also don't know what commercial awareness I need!

I will do. I think it's likely that they'll ask me some competency questions, although I've pretty much used all of my really strong examples in my interviews up to date!

We get the topic for the presentation 30 minutes before we give it, I think it's supposed to last 2-3 minutes or something.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ah, I see. I think the written exercise will probably be to write a letter of advice. - I think I'm just afraid I won't know what I'm looking for. I also don't know what commercial awareness I need!

I will do. I think it's likely that they'll ask me some competency questions, although I've pretty much used all of my really strong examples in my interviews up to date!

We get the topic for the presentation 30 minutes before we give it, I think it's supposed to last 2-3 minutes or something.
    You can use some of the examples again - you are going to be interviewed by different people!

I don't think you necessarily need commercial awareness for the written exercise. They could be assessing your analytical and writing skills rather than commercial awareness.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey all,

A quick heads up to book your place before we post on social media tomorrow.

TCLA is running a webinar this Friday on converting your next vacation scheme into a training contract. It's completely free, but places are capped at 500 (first come first served).

You can register here.

It'll be run by TCLA's whole forum team @Alice G, @Jessica Booker, @Dheepa and @Jacob Miller, so you'll get the benefit of a variety of experiences and perspectives. Plus, you'll get to see the team in action!

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hello, do any one of you have any ideas as to the type of question Howard Kennedy are asking during the VI? I anticipate a question regarding our motivations to join the firm and a commercial awareness one but I'd be happy to hear from people who've gone through the process before!

Many thanks

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    For a virtual AC, is it recommended to put post-it notes on my wall with a few notes/reminders? This would be for assistance for the case study exercise. Will be interested to hear anyone's experience of the extent to which this has helped. Obviously i would be aware of not using these when talking/presenting as my focus will be on my screen.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a virtual AC, is it recommended to put post-it notes on my wall with a few notes/reminders? This would be for assistance for the case study exercise. Will be interested to hear anyone's experience of the extent to which this has helped. Obviously i would be aware of not using these when talking/presenting as my focus will be on my screen.
    Yes - just try to put them at roughly eye height so it doesn’t look like you are constantly looking into the corner of the room.

I do it all the time when I am presenting - although I have a whiteboard that I use rather than post it notes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.