Not open for further replies.

Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Hi Penelope,

Congrats on your achievement!
    Could I pm you for some tips regarding Slaughters app?
    Thank you!
    I'm not sure how helpful my tips will be and, in the interest of fairness, I will post them here rather than in a pm. Slaughters had a lot of online events and I attended as many as I could as they were very helpful. I also spoke with a few trainees & NQs to get a better insight into the TC and firm. Finally, I have worked with Slaughters at my current firm, so I discussed that in my CL as well. All pretty general advice which applies to all applications, but hope that is somewhat helpful!

Reactions: MLF and S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! What kinds of questions should I ask on a successful post AC feedback call for a VS? @Jessica Booker
    Successful feedback calls are rare to be honest and tend to be fairly straight forward in telling you what you did well in.

The key thing is really to ask what could have been stronger or if there is anything else you should be working/they recommend you work on between now and your VS. You could also ask what might be different in terms of the assessment if you were to go forward with a TC conversion process (eg do they assess more competencies, do they weight certain competencies/factors more heavily).

Reactions: Eliana

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Is anyone applying to Ashurst this summer cycle? One of their questions was about the challenges facing the legal sector and I'm unsure if they want me to discuss more commercial issues such as rise of the Big4/Brexit or if I can address issues such as an increasing calls for WFH and flexi-hours (exacerbated by the pandemic)?
    I think Ashurst is very proud of how they handled Covid through their NewLaw Ashurst Advance. I don’t think it would be a bad thing to talk about because they make such a huge emphasis on their legal tech arm.

They even went further by launching their consultancy and risk advisory services in response to client demand. I think Ashurst has dealt with the impacts of Covid very well despite Covid having such a negative impact on the legal industry. Many law firms weren’t ready to make that seamless transition to WFH. Moreover, law firms are traditionalists and are risk averse. Many haven’t invested in high legal tech and AI. I think you could view this in the sense that many law firms still stick to that pyramid law model but firms like Ashurst have moved to new law model.

Ashurst also adapted agile working a few years before the pandemic hit.

In response to Brexit, they recently opened an office in Ireland.

Mea

Star Member
    Apr 5, 2019
    I know there is a lot of talk about how bigger firms handled the Covid-crisis (e.g. WFH and how to ensure both their clients and employees are satisfied). But how has this impacted smaller firms with fewer resources than bigger firms?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I know there is a lot of talk about how bigger firms handled the Covid-crisis (e.g. WFH and how to ensure both their clients and employees are satisfied). But how has this impacted smaller firms with fewer resources than bigger firms?
    I don’t think it’s necessarily big vs small firms. Some smaller firms can be far more agile in implementing technology/policies etc compared the larger firms when it can be more rigid or difficult because of the size. I think it also really depends on how the firm was set up pre-covid too.

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Do you have any tips for the video interview? I'm not sure what type of questions to prepare for.
    I just completed the VI and honestly the questions are typical and nothing that you won't have come across before + the fact you get 5 mins to prepare for each question and the chance to re-record once if you need to means you should be fine :)

Reactions: MLF

oreo727

Jun 10, 2021
    Hi there, I just finished mine, the link was fine, you should get in touch with them today to ask!
    Do you have any tips on how to prepare for a pre-recorded interview?
    I just completed the VI and honestly the questions are typical and nothing that you won't have come across before + the fact you get 5 mins to prepare for each question and the chance to re-record once if you need to means you should be fine :)
    Do you have any tips on how to prepare for a pre-recorded interview? And were the questions technical/competency questions? I'm quite nervous because this is my first time doing this type of interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When at an AC and you have an interview, can you have notes on your screen alongside the Zoom window? Or do you have to screenshare etc? I'm just thinking about where to put my prompts so I don't keep looking down!
    I’d put them on a wall behind your laptop screen but roughly at eye level.

Also make sure your prompts are just that - prompts, rather than a script. Literally just 1-2 key words that remind you of what you want to say rather than the detail of what you could say.

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Do you have any tips on how to prepare for a pre-recorded interview?

Do you have any tips on how to prepare for a pre-recorded interview? And were the questions technical/competency questions? I'm quite nervous because this is my first time doing this type of interview.
    Make sure you feel comfortable and that you aren't in a rush. I always have some notes on the basic things such as why law, why the firm, why me and then some other things like challenges for the firm, competitors, a legal news story etc just so I have something I can glance at if those questions come up.

There was a mix of motivational, competency and commercial awareness but all pretty standard

oreo727

Jun 10, 2021
    Make sure you feel comfortable and that you aren't in a rush. I always have some notes on the basic things such as why law, why the firm, why me and then some other things like challenges for the firm, competitors, a legal news story etc just so I have something I can glance at if those questions come up.

There was a mix of motivational, competency and commercial awareness but all pretty standard
    Thank you so much! This is really helpful :)

Lawstudent99!!

Jun 10, 2021
    Hi! I have a training contract interview next week and I need to prepare a 15 minute presentation on a topic related to either business, politics or socio-economics. I was wondering if any one had any interesting ideas for topics or any sources/websites to have a look at to help me find a topic I’m interested in and can talk about for 15 minutes? Thanks in advance!

Eliana

Star Member
    Apr 11, 2021
    Successful feedback calls are rare to be honest and tend to be fairly straight forward in telling you what you did well in.

The key thing is really to ask what could have been stronger or if there is anything else you should be working/they recommend you work on between now and your VS. You could also ask what might be different in terms of the assessment if you were to go forward with a TC conversion process (eg do they assess more competencies, do they weight certain competencies/factors more heavily).
    thank you!

D

Deleted member 2707

I think Ashurst is very proud of how they handled Covid through their NewLaw Ashurst Advance. I don’t think it would be a bad thing to talk about because they make such a huge emphasis on their legal tech arm.

They even went further by launching their consultancy and risk advisory services in response to client demand. I think Ashurst has dealt with the impacts of Covid very well despite Covid having such a negative impact on the legal industry. Many law firms weren’t ready to make that seamless transition to WFH. Moreover, law firms are traditionalists and are risk averse. Many haven’t invested in high legal tech and AI. I think you could view this in the sense that many law firms still stick to that pyramid law model but firms like Ashurst have moved to new law model.

Ashurst also adapted agile working a few years before the pandemic hit.

In response to Brexit, they recently opened an office in Ireland.
    Thank you for this detailed answer!

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Would I be right in stating that Fieldfisher takes a sector-focused approach? Theres nothing specifically stating this on their website but it seems like it does from how their website is laid out etc so just wanted to double check!

A

Anon 11031

Would I be right in stating that Fieldfisher takes a sector-focused approach? Theres nothing specifically stating this on their website but it seems like it does from how their website is laid out etc so just wanted to double check!
    I think so. Are you trying to answer questions on the app form?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.