2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
For anyone who has applied to Fieldfisher, on the CV part of the application form, for 'duties' under work experience, did you just put what you did or did you also outline the skills you gained in the role? Also, did you use bullet points or prose?

Any advice on this would be very helpful!

A

Anon 11031

For anyone who has applied to Fieldfisher, on the CV part of the application form, for 'duties' under work experience, did you just put what you did or did you also outline the skills you gained in the role? Also, did you use bullet points or prose?

Any advice on this would be very helpful!
Bullet points as opposed to prose is usually far better. I just outlined my role and then bullet pointed responsibilities (not the skills I'd gained).

There is elsewhere in the application you can show off your skills properly. In the question relating to the skills you think are important for a commercial lawyer to have, for example.

• 🏆
Reactions: NikkiT and Alice G

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
Bullet points as opposed to prose is usually far better. I just outlined my role and then bullet pointed responsibilities (not the skills I'd gained).

There is elsewhere in the application you can show off your skills properly. In the question relating to the skills you think are important for a commercial lawyer to have, for example.
Thank you! Also, in my notes I have mentioned the iPlus programme but I can't seem to find it anywhere online, do you know about it?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi does anyone know if direct TCs for Freshfields are non-rolling and if there are any helpful guides?
Hi, please see the advice I wrote for the application process as a whole here:

Also, be mindful that there should be a document for you to download from the application portal (I really can’t recall too clearly but I want to say it is on the personal statement upload page but I did apply a little while ago now!). It’s basically a template document provided by the firm which they like you to copy your personal statement into to then re-upload to the portal for submission.

hope this all helps!!

Reactions: glaw23, A M and W

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Hi, please see the advice I wrote for the application process as a whole here:

Also, be mindful that there should be a document for you to download from the application portal (I really can’t recall too clearly but I want to say it is on the personal statement upload page but I did apply a little while ago now!). It’s basically a template document provided by the firm which they like you to copy your personal statement into to then re-upload to the portal for submission.

hope this all helps!!
Thank you @Alice G ! :)

Reactions: Alice G

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Oh wow. When did you apply and have your telephone interview?
    I applied very early on (I want to say end of March?) received the online test invite a couple days later. 2 weeks later got the invite for the phone interview. 2 weeks after that, had the invite for the AC. About 5/6 days after that, invite for the final interview. I’ve been told I’ll know by July 6th!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I am so confused guys... I had a TC interview today with a firm that supposedly is super friendly (I know people who have worked there and sold it to me massively), but I had the weirdest interview so far I think. It started with me entering the room and being asked "why do you want to be a solicitor" BEFORE I had even removed my bag to sit down (no hello, no small talk, nothing)? Followed by the partner basically telling me "I see this X achievement you have here... that's not that great, is it? My son did this and achieved xyz...." I honestly at times wasn't sure whether they were joking or not and was so taken off guard. Still did my best and was able to answer everything but quite disappointing when I was hoping to be given a chance to showcase my experiences and my motivation but was met with a list of set questions they were just reading out and rushing through. On another note, today I got offered a great paralegal role at a PE firm so there's always a positve to a negative I guess!

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I applied very early on (I want to say end of March?) received the online test invite a couple days later. 2 weeks later got the invite for the phone interview. 2 weeks after that, had the invite for the AC. About 5/6 days after that, invite for the final interview. I’ve been told I’ll know by July 6th!
    How did you find the entire process - AC and final interview? Not sure I’ll apply to FF this cycle tbh because I think it’s too late and I’d just rather recover a little.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I am so confused guys... I had a TC interview today with a firm that supposedly is super friendly (I know people who have worked there and sold it to me massively), but I had the weirdest interview so far I think. It started with me entering the room and being asked "why do you want to be a solicitor" BEFORE I had even removed my bag to sit down (no hello, no small talk, nothing)? Followed by the partner basically telling me "I see this X achievement you have here... that's not that great, is it? My son did this and achieved xyz...." I honestly at times wasn't sure whether they were joking or not and was so taken off guard. Still did my best and was able to answer everything but quite disappointing when I was hoping to be given a chance to showcase my experiences and my motivation but was met with a list of set questions they were just reading out and rushing through. On another note, today I got offered a great paralegal role at a PE firm so there's always a positve to a negative I guess!
    It's obviously hard to say specifically about the firm (please feel free to DM me if you wouldike to talk in more detail about this in confidence, though).

Irrespective, though, this sounds very unusual for any large firm and it sounds to me as if you've just caught someone on a bit of a sh📍tty day and they've taken it out on you. I've had a couple of interviewers like this in the past too, there's really nothing else that you can do. It is definitely worth feeding back to the firm after you've had your results, though; it's almost a certainty that others will have had a similarly unsettling experience and the firm ought to be informed of this.

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: FM302989, Sonia_Kawaii and E.A

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Sounds like a crazy interview! I can't say I've had one this ruthless, but I've definitely experienced similar situations in where somebody was just having a bad day and that reflected on the experience.

But it is also a great indicator as to whether that firm is for you or not. End of the day, it has to fit you as much as you have to fit them. Congrats on the offer!

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    How did you find the entire process - AC and final interview? Not sure I’ll apply to FF this cycle tbh because I think it’s too late and I’d just rather recover a little.
    Honestly pretty easy. This is my first cycle as a converting student moving to the MA Law/SQE route, so I always thought my legal experience, or lack of, would hinder my chances. I've had several straight rejections which was to be expected, I had one VI for another firm that went terribly (10 seconds to think of an answer and 30 seconds to give the answer with no retakes is very brutal and not my thing lmao).

FF were my first phone interview, first AC and now first final stage interview, so I'm actually quite pleased so far. It's kind of messed with my head that during the employability workshop earlier this month, they essentially said if you receive an offer of the interview post AC, you've ''pretty much already got the job''. No celebrations/commiserations until the outcome!

Overall, the recruitment team are super lovely. I can only speak on behalf of the Manchester team/office (amazing views by the way!). I suppose it depends how many you've already applied for. I applied to mid-tier and smaller firms based on my interests in specific sectors, so I'm not really sure of the larger firms (apart from White and Case) and can't compare. If you feel you've crashed and burnt a little, take time to mentally recharge. No point putting a half-hearted application if you really don't have that desire to work there, plus you want time to recoup.

• Love
    Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Sounds like you had someone playing bad cop who went a bit too far!

I've also had similar interviews like this before, and honestly, it seems as though you handled it well and maintained your professionalism which is the most important thing so well done for that! Chances are they were just looking to see how you'd react when dealing with someone who wasn't particular pleasant or who had a bad day so I wouldn't take anything they said personally at all - 90% likely it was to see how you'd react when put in an uncomfortable position. Alternatively, you just had someone interviewing you on a bad day who was just taking it out on you...

However, it is definitely something to feedback to the firm about if you're asked during your call with them afterwards but huge congrats on your paralegal role regardless!

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    What kind of things have y'all been asked to do presentations on the AC days? I notice a lot of firms say you must do a presentation, and I figure you get told the topic on the day/just before. I was just curious as to what sort of topics y'all have been asked to present on

Sharrphie

Standard Member
    May 24, 2021
    I still haven’t heard back from Fieldfisher post online tests and it’s been nearly a month since I completed it. I’ve even emailed them a couple of days ago but they haven’t responded yet.
    I received an email from them yesterday and they said they are now review the application and will notice me the result within 14 days

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Bad interviewer unfortunately. I’d be peeved if I heard this happening and I was running the grad rec department.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.