2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    There's a huge backlog for the London offices, to be fair. Only two people actually work the initial recruitment stages, and we were told during the choosing of our preferred office for the AC that London had a waiting list for the first, and that anyone who wouldn't get a place on that would get one on the second as priority if they fit the bill. That's probably why you've been waiting, because myself and everyone else I know who applied for Manchester have had really quick responses. Give them an email Monday to ask, if not.

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    hello!! was wondering if anyone has heard back from the following firms? I don't really know what kind of timeframe I'm meant to expect?

27 Mar - RPC Hong Kong VS app received [automail], but heard back from London TC app online assessment invite yesterday
    24 May - PM App received & under review,
    3 Jun - BCLP App under review after online test

I don't know if it's appropriate to send another gentle reminder... thanks!
    Hi Bianca, regarding the London RPC app, when did you submit it if you don't mind me asking?

In relation to Pinsent Masons, my application is at the same stage but I would give them another week or so, apparently their ACs take place w/c 26 July.

Hope it helps!

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Has anyone heard anything from Orrick at all?

Its been a few weeks since the deadline and I submitted a few weeks before that and haven't had anything more than the confirmation of my application email.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I've thankfully never had to do a video interview for a VS/ TC, but yes I generally agree that talking to a camera with nobody on the other side is quite an unnatural, unnerving experience where it's hard to really present the best version of yourself! They make you realise just how much we rely on reciprocity of things like tonality and body language in these contexts.
    Yes!! I think I manage face to face interviews way better and it’s just easier for me to demonstrate my social skills 😫 I really get stuck during VIs - it’s like my mind goes blank.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad, karinny and MLF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Further to the lovely end-of-week PFO from Howard Kennedy, I'd like to know a bit more about what is required to succeed during a VI.

In the 4 I've done so far, I passed 1 and failed 3. I'm not sure what I did wrong during the ones I failed and unfortunately, no feedback was provided. Maybe @Jessica Booker you would have an idea as to what they are after? Thanks
    Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to know the whys and wherefores on things like this. I wouldn't want to make a broad assumption as that can often be more unhelpful.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    Hi Bianca, regarding the London RPC app, when did you submit it if you don't mind me asking?

In relation to Pinsent Masons, my application is at the same stage but I would give them another week or so, apparently their ACs take place w/c 26 July.

Hope it helps!
    hello! i thanks for your response :) that's good to know! is the ac timeframe floating around their website or tcla?
    i sent my rpc app on 22 jun!

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    is anyone a repeat ashurst applicant? i've recently applied for their tc in june and i'm a little baffled that i could only release a previous set of revelian test results from when i applied for their vs in october😥

A M

Distinguished Member
    Dec 28, 2020
    is anyone a repeat ashurst applicant? i've recently applied for their tc in june and i'm a little baffled that i could only release a previous set of revelian test results from when i applied for their vs in october😥
    I think you can only apply for one of their opportunities either VS or TC and not both.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    I think you can only apply for one of their opportunities either VS or TC and not both.
    i'm not understanding what the recruitment window is referring to as i assumed october and june would be in two separate recruitment windows 😥 sorry, i'm definitely a rookie here

IceFloe

Star Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    I have an AC with Shoosmiths and I've heard the interview is heavily competency-based. Does anyone know approximately how many examples I should prepare?

I have a rough plan for 7-8 unique scenarios drawn from four past roles, but I'm worried this isn't enough. For reference, Shoosmiths have four main competencies.

Also if anyone has any more general advice for the Shoosmiths AC I'm all ears! This is my first ever-AC so I'm pretty nervous.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

Th
    I have an AC with Shoosmiths and I've heard the interview is heavily competency-based. Does anyone know approximately how many examples I should prepare?

I have a rough plan for 7-8 unique scenarios drawn from four past roles, but I'm worried this isn't enough. For reference, Shoosmiths have four main competencies.

Also if anyone has any more general advice for the Shoosmiths AC I'm all ears! This is my first ever-AC so I'm pretty nervous.
    Hey! I'm not sure what four competencies/values Shoosmiths have, but it sounds like you have more than enough prepared! I've done done competency-based interviews for law firms and also conducted interviews which are 100% competency based.

My approach has always been to have 6(ish) strong examples that are multifaceted and cover a broad range of subjects. For example, I have one that involves analysing lots of data but also involves decision-making, team working and other competencies. To make things a bit easier, I would have some really strong (adaptable) examples in case they ask you something you haven't prepped for.

Also, as far as the AC goes, Shoosmiths seem very personality driven as a firm. So my advice would be to try and be yourself, let your personality shine through and engage with the day as much as possible. For my first AC I tried to have the mindset of 'well, if this doesn't go my way it's great practice for the next one so I'm going to do my best and take away as much as I can'.

I'm sure you're going to be brilliant, you've gotten this far which means you have the skills for the role! ❤️

Hope some of this helps!

A M

Distinguished Member
    Dec 28, 2020
    i'm not understanding what the recruitment window is referring to as i assumed october and june would be in two separate recruitment windows 😥 sorry, i'm definitely a rookie here
    For most of the law firms September or October to July or August is one recruitment cycle and you can only give their test once in this cycle.

Do not worry you will learn everything in the process and also get a TC. 🍻👍

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: BiancaM

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

You wouldn't have time in an interview to go through more than 8 scenarios. The key is really making sure the examples align to the competency though.

Shoosmiths are pretty good at providing insight into their opportunities via social media, so I would expect them to have some information somewhere about what competencies you are likely to be assessed on.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice regarding the Freshfields personal statement?
    Structure and conciseness are going to be paramount to getting the broad range of points in that they will be looking for.

Don’t bother repeating other information elsewhere in your application, unless you are putting a new spin on it that’s really an important point to get across.

Although this is ten years old now (jeeezzzzz I feel old as I remember pulling this together), the advice is still relevant.

• Love
    Reactions: em311

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    Structure and conciseness are going to be paramount to getting the broad range of points in that they will be looking for.

Don’t bother repeating other information elsewhere in your application, unless you are putting a new spin on it that’s really an important point to get across.

Although this is ten years old now (jeeezzzzz I feel old as I remember pulling this together), the advice is still relevant.

Thank you so much this is super helpful!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.