2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharrphie

Standard Member
May 24, 2021
Fieldfisher just gave me another email saying that I will be notified of the outcome of my assessment within the next two weeks. This is the third time I received emails from them extending the deadline for the reply!

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hasn't this been a record breaking application cycle? I'm trying to remember if I've heard some firms say they've received more applications than any other year - like thousands more, can anyone confirm this? I wonder why that is if true...
    Seen lots of firms say the same thing. I think it’s a mix of career changers, redundancies, and students with more time on their hands during the pandemic

SB1539

Star Member
    Feb 26, 2021
    Hi all, just wondering if someone could offer some help here... I'm preparing for an AC and I'd seen a past candidate say that they were asked "Who is someone that you look up to and why". I was just wondering if anyone could give me some inspiration?

A

Anon 11031

Hi all, just wondering if someone could offer some help here... I'm preparing for an AC and I'd seen a past candidate say that they were asked "Who is someone that you look up to and why". I was just wondering if anyone could give me some inspiration?
    I got asked a similar question in an interview (I was successful). It was a bit of a curve ball but I said the first thing that came into my head at the time, which was a family member. I don't think this has to be anything specific as long as you can substantiate your answer with why.

For example, I explained that this family member is someone I look up to because they're hard-working and have worked low-level jobs their whole life to support their family, they're honest and patient, good emotional intelligence etc. These are all things that I would like to be in life. I then spoke a little about how this has inspired me to become a hard worker and be more patient etc etc.

I really believe sometimes this question is better answered as naturally as possible, your interviewers will often appreciate that.

Hope that helps!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I had that and they specially specified non-family. I discussed my personal career hero (someone political). I think another time I got asked more specifically about someone I wish to emulate at work, so I talked about a previous boss

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hasn't this been a record breaking application cycle? I'm trying to remember if I've heard some firms say they've received more applications than any other year - like thousands more, can anyone confirm this? I wonder why that is if true...
    Applications numbers always go up in recessions. Improved quantity doesn’t equal improved quality though!

People will also flock to law as vacancies don’t tend to fluctuate as much as other industries. I suspect the SQE coming in also has a bit of an impact this year.

Reactions: A M

NCLaw

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2018
    Hi! So I have never done an assessment day before and I have been invited to the assessment day for Howard Kennedy - it's their final stage and is made up of a group assessment in the morning and final partner interview in the afternoon.

I feel okay for the group assessment but I have no idea where to even start with prep for the interview. Is someone able to give me some tips? Or even better, has anyone had experience with being interviewed at Howard Kennedy? I feel quite behind in being up to date with commercial/business news - I don't think I've even tried to articulate any of my opinions or thoughts on commercial issues so I am at the bare basics here. Any advice or tips are welcome!!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi! So I have never done an assessment day before and I have been invited to the assessment day for Howard Kennedy - it's their final stage and is made up of a group assessment in the morning and final partner interview in the afternoon.

I feel okay for the group assessment but I have no idea where to even start with prep for the interview. Is someone able to give me some tips? Or even better, has anyone had experience with being interviewed at Howard Kennedy? I feel quite behind in being up to date with commercial/business news - I don't think I've even tried to articulate any of my opinions or thoughts on commercial issues so I am at the bare basics here. Any advice or tips are welcome!!
    If youre starting at a foundational level, I would consider reading my articles on interview prep and law firm departments/ structure to help you with your overall understanding in these areas.

If you want to look at teamwork tasks too, I've also got an article on assessed negotiations which has a discussion of teamwork more generally.

Reactions: NCLaw

Gabriella7498

M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 23, 2020
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if it's normal for a firm to give out TCs offers to VS participants before they get back to direct TC applicants? I completed a written case study for a firm last Friday and still have not heard back from them. I know their summer VS is happening right now so I'm trying not to worry too much about the response time.

D

Deleted member 2707

Does anyone know if I should wait for my Y3 results before applying for direct TCs in July? Macfarlanes is rolling so I'm a bit worried but my final results come out 19th July.

Reactions: Sz310

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if it's normal for a firm to give out TCs offers to VS participants before they get back to direct TC applicants? I completed a written case study for a firm last Friday and still have not heard back from them. I know their summer VS is happening right now so I'm trying not to worry too much about the response time.
    It wouldn’t be unknown. Firms will often prioritise vacation scheme applicants because they have typically been able to assess them much more thoroughly. It’s not to say that all firms do this though.

Three working days is no time at all for a law firm. It could easily be they just haven’t got your feedback yet and nothing to do with the vacation scheme.

Reactions: Gabriella7498
    D

Deleted member 2707

How much do you feel your Y3 results will improve your academic profile?

I think there is a good chance that they will boost my overall average. My commercial modules are also in Y3 (company law, commercial law). Is that a strong enough reason to put off applying until I receive them, particularly since Macfarlanes is rolling.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think there is a good chance that they will boost my overall average. My commercial modules are also in Y3 (company law, commercial law). Is that a strong enough reason to put off applying until I receive them, particularly since Macfarlanes is rolling.
    You could list your optional modules anyway and just say the results are TBC.

If you think it is important to wait for your results though, then do so. Most people won’t be applying until a week before the deadline anyway (and in most cases the day of the deadline.)

SB1539

Star Member
    Feb 26, 2021
    I got asked a similar question in an interview (I was successful). It was a bit of a curve ball but I said the first thing that came into my head at the time, which was a family member. I don't think this has to be anything specific as long as you can substantiate your answer with why.

For example, I explained that this family member is someone I look up to because they're hard-working and have worked low-level jobs their whole life to support their family, they're honest and patient, good emotional intelligence etc. These are all things that I would like to be in life. I then spoke a little about how this has inspired me to become a hard worker and be more patient etc etc.

I really believe sometimes this question is better answered as naturally as possible, your interviewers will often appreciate that.

Hope that helps!
    I had that and they specially specified non-family. I discussed my personal career hero (someone political). I think another time I got asked more specifically about someone I wish to emulate at work, so I talked about a previous boss
    Thank you both!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Would anyone that has been successful with Freshfields' application please message me? :)
    There is a lot of advice on this thread if you haven't seen it already

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.