2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
I would advise to focus more on your personal strengths in this type of question. This ensures your answer is more unique to you - “why you would stand out” rather than the opportunities to potentially stand out that any trainee could take up (eg networking/helping team members out).
Thanks very much, this makes a lot of sense!

Alice94

Nov 27, 2019
They're definitely not looking for that! And I'm sure whoever was assessing your group would have picked up on their behaviour.
Doubt they will get it then, they look to see how everyone interacts how everyone engages together and how people listen to each other’s ideas
This is slightly reassuring - thanks guys! I'm really starting to worry about all the things I should have said etc. However, it was hard to say anything without the individual in question taking up most of the allotted time! I added a few ideas that were implemented so fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are firms looking for in group exercises? An individual in my group wouldn't stop talking and barely allowed anyone else to speak!
Collaboration
Supporting others with their thinking
Idea generation
Reaching a consensus

Sounds like the individual wouldn't have demonstrated any of that

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
This is slightly reassuring - thanks guys! I'm really starting to worry about all the things I should have said etc. However, it was hard to say anything without the individual in question taking up most of the allotted time! I added a few ideas that were implemented so fingers crossed!
It’s hard sometimes to talk when there’s someone like that in the group but try stay positive you never know what they are looking for you might have done better than you think but well done for getting. To this stage aswell I didn’t say earlier xx

Reactions: Alice94

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jess! I really appreciate you setting out the points that are usually assessed ☺️
The individual might have scored highly for their thinking/analysis, but if they dominated the exercise, it is unlikely they would have scored on other areas that are equally as important.

BiancaR

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    It feels slightly surreal to write this, but I just got a direct TC offer from my dream firm!

I'm honestly so excited- as international student from a fairly unusual background, I have applied for almost three years without any success: I've never had a vacation scheme or even a formal legal internship. Before this month, I had never even made it to the interview stage. I had to complete my first AC in the middle of the night because of time differences, and ended up sitting in the lobby of a nearby hotel when my wifi died just an hour before the assessment began!

Thank you so much to everyone on this forum for all the advice and the ongoing encouragement whenever I started doubting myself! This truly would have been impossible without you all (as well as the TCLA team)😊

On to the next adventure!

Last edited:

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    What are firms looking for in group exercises? An individual in my group wouldn't stop talking and barely allowed anyone else to speak!
    I had this happen to me once, and it just made everyone look really good LOL. I wouldn't worry, as long as you were courteous (when you were able to get a word in edgeways) - as opposed to frustrated/irritated etc!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It feels slightly surreal to write this, but I just got a direct TC offer from my dream firm!

I'm honestly so excited- as international student from a fairly unusual background, I have applied for almost three years without any success: I've never had a vacation scheme or even formal legal internship. Before this month, I had never even made it to the interview stage. I had to complete my first AC in the middle of the night because of time differences, and ended up sitting in the lobby of a nearby hotel when my wifi died just an hour before the assessment began!

Thank you so much to everyone on this forum for all the advice and the ongoing encouragement whenever I started doubting myself! This truly would have been impossible without you all (as well as the TCLA team)😊

On to the next adventure!
    Amazing news! Congratulations 🎉

Party Wow GIF by Max Amini

• Love
    Reactions: BiancaR

Alice94

Nov 27, 2019
    I had this happen to me once, and it just made everyone look really good LOL. I wouldn't worry, as long as you were courteous (when you were able to get a word in edgeways) - as opposed to frustrated/irritated etc!
    The individual might have scored highly for their thinking/analysis, but if they dominated the exercise, it is unlikely they would have scored on other areas that are equally as important.
    It’s hard sometimes to talk when there’s someone like that in the group but try stay positive you never know what they are looking for you might have done better than you think but well done for getting. To this stage aswell I didn’t say earlier xx
    Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply and share your experiences! I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best 🤞🏻

• Love
    Reactions: N.9 and Legalmel_99

BigLawBois

Standard Member
    Feb 15, 2021
    Hi guys, just wondering what response people received from Freshfields post application. I’ve got one inviting me to complete the WG test. It then says:

“The test score combined with your application will form the basis of whether you are then invited through to the final interview stage.”

Do they mean AC, or am I missing something...?
    Hey do you mind me asking when you got the invite?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.