2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Guys - an important reminder that for anyone submitting to Freshfields, there is a template document you need to download when you are in the application portal which you copy and paste your personal statement into before uploading. Good luck to everyone submitting!

I didn’t know that, thanks!
    I applied for a direct TC with them, but that was a while back in November, is it worth changing it now?
    I’m worried they will have screened me out by now

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I didn’t know that, thanks!
    I applied for a direct TC with them, but that was a while back in November, is it worth changing it now?
    I’m worried they will have screened me out by now
    I offer this advice based on last year so it’s possible that it could be different this year in that maybe there isn’t a template- though I have seen applications in the template submitted for review. Even if there is, I wouldn’t worry about it :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_Healey

RyanM1

Star Member
    Jan 4, 2021
    Almost every firm will send a confirmation of rejection or acceptance to next stage. The only firm I've ever had ghost me was Vinson & Elkins.

Thanks Jacob,

Do you know if they wait for a while before sending a rejections n or would they reject right out after reviewing your application/WG? I’m waiting to hear back from some firms post-WG/SJTs and also from just the applications and not sure if no news is good news!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thanks Jacob,

Do you know if they wait for a while before sending a rejections n or would they reject right out after reviewing your application/WG? I’m waiting to hear back from some firms post-WG/SJTs and also from just the applications and not sure if no news is good news!
    That will depend a lot on the firm I should think. Some firms who recruit rolling might reject you quickly if you're clearly short of the margins, others I've waited ages for a rejection (my feeling is that those have been situations where they've had a limited number of interviews left and are directly comparing some apps for the last few interview spots).

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Does anyone know if CMS sends the WGT to everyone? I thought that it is the second stage of the process but I have not seen anybody getting rejected post-app (may be I am wrong). Do they check the app alongside the WG score before deciding whether to invite a candidate to VI? Or once a candidate pass the initial screening, he just needs to pass their WG benchmark? Thanks :)

They definitely read your application before inviting you to the WG, then if you do well on that they invite you to VI and so on and so on...

The reason loads of people are getting WG invites might be because (on an online event) the grad rec team said they have a "really quick" look at the app before making a decision on it.

Hope this makes sense :)

Reactions: OB

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Hi guys! How are people approaching application questions regarding what you enjoy doing in your spare time?? What structure are people using? Do we link these to the firm? I'm a bit confused as to what the firm want to hear from us. Thanks :)

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    Does anyone know if CMS sends the WGT to everyone? I thought that it is the second stage of the process but I have not seen anybody getting rejected post-app (may be I am wrong). Do they check the app alongside the WG score before deciding whether to invite a candidate to VI? Or once a candidate pass the initial screening, he just needs to pass their WG benchmark? Thanks :)
    I imagine they just check the form has been completed. Last year, I received and passed the WGT but wasn’t moved onto interview on the basis my answers to the application questions weren’t good enough ( I was able to speak to grad rec about my app). I think the same has happened to me again this year. For reference, i don’t meet the grade requirements but still received the WGT.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys! How are people approaching application questions regarding what you enjoy doing in your spare time?? What structure are people using? Do we link these to the firm? I'm a bit confused as to what the firm want to hear from us. Thanks :)
    Great question!

When I answered this, I was generally very open about my hobbies and interests. Remember that firms do want to get to know who you actually are and getting a little insight into your personal life like that is a great means for them to do so. Typically, I would discuss two outside interests here and, in planning my answer, try and attach specific skills that I used in the course of each hobby/ interest. Then, I would look for ways to link those skills to the skills associated with being a successful commercial solicitor, and show the parallels in the course of my answer.

One of the key pieces of advice that I was given was to be authentic in this answer. If you try to frame the answer with hobbies or interests that you don't actually have but think the firm want to hear about, it will come off as contrived and won't be received as well. I've also ended up (more than once) in a situation where the interviewer has actually shared a hobby/ interest with me, or wanted to know more about it on a personal/ interest level, and it would have became apparent very quickly if I wasn't actually into that particular thing. Hope this helps! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.