2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabma

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
What are people's opinions/takes on the SQE?

I have TC offers which I am looking to extend the acceptance deadline so that I can do a summer vac scheme at a firm that I really like, I've spent time there before. The only issue is that at this summer vac scheme firm, my intake would be the first SQE intake. As the first generation to take the new A-levels and what a mess that was, I'm quite nervous about that. I'm wondering if its worth even extending my TC deadlines and doing the vac scheme if I know that there's a strong chance I won't take the offer (if I convert) because of the SQE.

EDIT: In addition, if anyone could direct me to some good resources that evaluate the pros and cons of the SQE I'd be grateful.

Reactions: S30 and JoeyTr

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
I didn't realise you were allowed to do this? Have you heard back about getting through to the next stage?

They were very quick at sending me my report once I requested it and said that I had passed the test. I haven't heard about the next stage, she said they were still going through apps, so fingers crossed we hear good news soon :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I have TC offers which I am looking to extend the acceptance deadline so that I can do a summer vac scheme at a firm that I really like, I've spent time there before. The only issue is that at this summer vac scheme firm, my intake would be the first SQE intake. As the first generation to take the new A-levels and what a mess that was, I'm quite nervous about that. I'm wondering if its worth even extending my TC deadlines and doing the vac scheme if I know that there's a strong chance I won't take the offer (if I convert) because of the SQE.

EDIT: In addition, if anyone could direct me to some good resources that evaluate the pros and cons of the SQE I'd be grateful.

You can accept and then renege on an offer if you wanted to.

You might want to look at this:

https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/news/events/on-demand-events/transitional-arrangements/

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
They were very quick at sending me my report once I requested it and said that I had passed the test. I haven't heard about the next stage, she said they were still going through apps, so fingers crossed we hear good news soon :)

@E.A Would you recommend requesting the report - was it useful? Nervous to see the result! Where did you see that you could ask for it also?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
If anyone’s had a VI please could you let me know some of the questions that were asked? :) just so I have a rough idea! Thankyou

Why do you want to be a solicitor?
What are the day to day tasks of a solicitor?
What skills do you have that would make you a good solicitor?
Why do you want to work at this firm?
Tell us about a time you have worked in a team
Tell us about a time you have managed conflict
Tell us about a commercial news story that recently caught your attention
Situational style questions (in my experience, the firm will say in their email if they will ask you a situational question)

And certainly more!!

So, have a read of the email the firm sent, that’s usually a good guide. VI questions range a lot. Practicing typical interview questions is a really good start. Feel free to PM if you want more help :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Lawbour and Legalmel_99

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
@E.A Would you recommend requesting the report - was it useful? Nervous to see the result! Where did you see that you could ask for it also?
It was useful to see the improvement from last year when I failed it, other than that not really :rolleyes: I saw people had asked in this forum only.

sabma

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
You can accept and then renege on an offer if you wanted to.

You might want to look at this:

https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/news/events/on-demand-events/transitional-arrangements/
Thank you so much Jessica!

Thanks for the reneging suggestion! I wouldn't want to because I really like the firm and respect the people who work there and I think it would waste their time if I did that. So I'm going to try and sort it out without having to do that. But thank you for presenting the option

Reactions: Holly

mpongo

Jan 13, 2021

My approach has been to go for firms that are continuing down the tried and tested route. That is to say, go for firms that still put their trainees through the LPC and GDL route.

Some firms are going into the SQE even when there is strong opposition from senior lawyers within the firm. For example, law firms that are part of the Consortium, such as Slaughter and May, are going into it now despite the fact that I have spoken to senior partners who have nothing good to say about it;

• ℹ️
Reactions: Idlewild

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica is accepting and reneging on an offer risky? Given how small the recruiting world is and because legally you may have liability?

This won’t make me popular with graduate recruiters but....

Reneging is very common outside of law. The voluntary code of best recruitment practice was designed to stop the reneging process but ultimately now it has changed there is no reason really why reneging should be any different to any other industry.

A firm wouldn’t be able to tell another firm without breaking GDPR - so the risk is with them not you.

The only liability you would have is if you accepted funds from the firm in question (eg sponsorship for the GDL/LPC or other financial support).

To me the worst that will happen is you won’t be welcomed at that firm in the near future (for instance if you wanted to go there as a NQ).

Attachments

• EDC3BB3D-C2C2-43FD-9DAF-DB4A02A43F62.jpeg
    EDC3BB3D-C2C2-43FD-9DAF-DB4A02A43F62.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My approach has been to go for firms that are continuing down the tried and tested route. That is to say, go for firms that still put their trainees through the LPC and GDL route.

Some firms are going into the SQE even when there is strong opposition from senior lawyers within the firm. For example, law firms that are part of the Consortium, such as Slaughter and May, are going into it now despite the fact that I have spoken to senior partners who have nothing good to say about it;

They have got to go into in now as they can’t get all their trainees through the old process. A lot of them don’t have a choice unless they want a dual qualification process (which no firms really want).

Reactions: mpongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.