2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hahaha it's not pretty. I was presenting my solution to possible risk of litigation in an acquisition as part of my case study answer and got flustered and couldn't find the right words to describe what warranties/indemnities would do in this situation, so naturally, my genius brain thought the best way to stall while I could think of the right words was to throw in a filler word to buy me some time, except I chose the word "fucking" for some reason, which made me even more flustered because I immediately realised what I'd just said and started internally panicking a little. So I basically ended up saying something along the lines of "so you could basically tell them 'you take the fucking liability if it comes to litigation', you know?" and I'm honestly still cringing.

Props to the partners for not reacting at all though, the rest of the interview went surprisingly well! Still not salvageable after my trainwreck of a document review exercise, but at least their positive feedback will help me sleep at night.

Hey, I wouldn't stress about this toooo much! This sounds like Bakers and if it is, at the open day the graduate recruitment manager shared an example of a candidate's video interview where the candidate swore loud as hell, banged on the table and closed the window. After they had calmed down, they opened the VI back up and continued, luckily for them the next question was something like 'tell me about a time you made a mistake' and so they used the example of them getting flustered and swearing and explained that they took a couple of hours to compose themselves, did their breathing exercising etc and then came back and continued. The rest of the VI went perfectly and they ended up securing a TC. Moral of the story, you'd be surprised to hear that a fatal mistake in your mind, may not necessarily be a fatal mistake in theirs!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hahaha it's not pretty. I was presenting my solution to possible risk of litigation in an acquisition as part of my case study answer and got flustered and couldn't find the right words to describe what warranties/indemnities would do in this situation, so naturally, my genius brain thought the best way to stall while I could think of the right words was to throw in a filler word to buy me some time, except I chose the word "fucking" for some reason, which made me even more flustered because I immediately realised what I'd just said and started internally panicking a little. So I basically ended up saying something along the lines of "so you could basically tell them 'you take the fucking liability if it comes to litigation', you know?" and I'm honestly still cringing.

Props to the partners for not reacting at all though, the rest of the interview went surprisingly well! Still not salvageable after my trainwreck of a document review exercise, but at least their positive feedback will help me sleep at night.
    For what it's worth, it's nothing that a partner working in one of the most stressful industries known to man won't have heard or said themselves.

Reminds me of a time when I was still in school, final year, and I was doing a bunch of sound tech work at the school concert. Our sound desk was ancient and decrepit, and it broke on me in the final rehearsal the day of the concert. I went on an absolute rant to myself in the sound room in the back of hall that would've turned the air blue around me (think Happy Gilmore +++)... turned round after about 30 seconds and my head teacher was standing in the door of the sound room having heard the whole thing 💀

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    Has anyone applied for PWC? Do you think it is worth a shot? Any hints and tips would be hugely appreciated.

depends if you like the way they operate? Have you looked into the firm and what they offer? I would say it’s definitely worth a try!

You will be fine, PWC will send you a game based assessment to complete. Just take your time and don’t try and beat the system! As mentioned earlier in this post the result isn’t about how high you score it’s about how elk your characteristics align with the firms values and work ethics.

Let me know if I can help you in any other way!

Good luck 🤞🏽

Reactions: jds555

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    And for HSF does anyone know if we just needed to meet the benchmark on the SJT or whether our score will be considered alongside our written app? I haven't heard back yet about summer vac scheme and don't know whether that's a bad sign

aspiringsolicitor000

M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 22, 2020
    And for HSF does anyone know if we just needed to meet the benchmark on the SJT or whether our score will be considered alongside our written app? I haven't heard back yet about summer vac scheme and don't know whether that's a bad sign
    I went to an event run by them a couple days ago and they said that the SJT isn't checked by grad recruitment and that there's a given pass mark for it. They also said that the score isn't considered alongside the written app you just need to pass

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.