2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Thanks so much for the detailed response, really does give me inspiration to keep going. I have started Harvard's Computer Science for Lawyers course as well, how much time did you spend on it? All the best with your VS and upcoming AC/other responses, I'm sure you'll smash them and land a TC. Definitely deserve it after all that hard work!
    No problem!!!

I probably spent about 2-3 months on it as I watched a lecture every weekend (with a week or two off) and completed the work for it during the week :) It was so worth it though. I made sure to really digest the information in the lecture and I would say the last one is particularly useful for applications - it covers challenges at the intersection of law and technology.

Thanks so much for being so lovely!!!! :)

I know you didn't ask me personally but trance is my go-to music when I need a pick me up. I guess most of you won't be too familiar with it, since it peaked in popularity when you would have been very young. But if anybody is interested, Armin Van Buuren's radio show celebrated 1000 episodes this week - the 1000th episode is a five hour mix compromised of the top 50 trance mixes of all time. Would definitely recommend!

GREAT choice!

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Andrew M and Kubed

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    I just replied to the email they sent with the test invite. Hopefully CVMail will be up again soon!
    Just a heads up - if they sent the email for the VRT test from a cvMail address (which they often do), they may not be able to access it until cvMail is running again.

I would strongly advise you to send an email to the actual grad recruitment email. It can usually be found (along with a phone number) on lawcareers.net or by searching "[X firm] graduate recruitment email" on google. In the event it is still down come Monday and you have no reply from anyone, I would call first thing on Monday.

This is my plan of action anyway!

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    What is a firm looking for when they ask "Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study", is it similar to when have you gone above and beyond in your work and study?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What is a firm looking for when they ask "Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study", is it similar to when have you gone above and beyond in your work and study?
    I would say that these are subtly, but quite importantly, different. Exceeding expectations is when you perform better than expected in a given circumstance. For example, my tattoo artist almost always exceeds my expectations when he tattoos me, but he doesn't necessarily go above and beyond in any way to do so.
    Going above and beyond, however, is when you put in more time/ effort etc than could possibly be asked for to ensure a satisfactory outcome in a given set of circumstances. For example, I've personally been in situations where I've had to work huge extra hours etc, far above and beyond what could have reasonably been expected, but the final outcome hasn't necessarily exceeded anyone's expectations, only satisfied them.

The best way I can express it is as logical reasoning:
    - Sometimes, exceeding expectations will involve going above and beyond
    - Similarly, sometimes, going above and beyond will exceed expectations
    - However, one can go above and beyond without exceeding expectations, and, similarly, one can exceed expectations without going above and beyond.

In sum, the two often overlap in practical situations but can also be independent of one another :)

Hope this makes some amount of sense!

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Just a heads up - if they sent the email for the VRT test from a cvMail address (which they often do), they may not be able to access it until cvMail is running again.

I would strongly advise you to send an email to the actual grad recruitment email. It can usually be found (along with a phone number) on lawcareers.net or by searching "[X firm] graduate recruitment email" on google. In the event it is still down come Monday and you have no reply from anyone, I would call first thing on Monday.

This is my plan of action anyway!
    Thanks so much, I will absolutely do this!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I know you didn't ask me personally but trance is my go-to music when I need a pick me up. I guess most of you won't be too familiar with it, since it peaked in popularity when you would have been very young. But if anybody is interested, Armin Van Buuren's radio show celebrated 1000 episodes this week - the 1000th episode is a five hour mix compromised of the top 50 trance mixes of all time. Would definitely recommend!
    ASOT 1000 in Utretch, Sept 3/4 😉 Pre-sale tickets 27th Jan :)

• Love
    Reactions: Andrew M

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    For a question for a VI (where you have 2 mins to talk) that is: what characteristics make a good commercial lawyer? Would you go into detail about examples of where you demonstrated that characteristic?
    Hiya

I think I'd pick maybe 3 or 4 examples and give a brief summary of why that characteristic is key to being a good lawyer ( a sentence or two)

I think for the sake of time and with the particular wording of the question, you wouldn't need to give personal examples.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Hele25

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    I'm thinking ahead a bit here as I'm still waiting to hear from a few firms. But...I'm not optimistic and my applications haven't progressed beyond a VI (for one firm) this year. What should my next move be? I'm thinking I should first try to review what's gone wrong and then (maybe) apply for some direct TCs. What have others done who have been unsuccessful in their first cycle but subsequently successful? Do people tend to apply for the same firms in subsequent rounds or change it up?

Any advice gratefully received :) I'm feeling a little deflated but overall still positive.
    Hiya

I remember during my applications I was very much like you ( I'm a big planner!). I think naturally it will depend on the outcomes, whether your focus needs to be on reworking applications or assessment centres. I would draw a list of the firms that you are very interested in and consider if they have summer tc applications. Looking further along, perhaps you could start looking at future insight days/events and programmes, even doing virtual work experience (InsideSherpa has a good few). Anything developmental would be my focus!

For now, during the waiting period I think the best thing you can do is try to remain positive.

Hope this helps a bit :)

• Love
    Reactions: Kubed and Zoo

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I would say that these are subtly, but quite importantly, different. Exceeding expectations is when you perform better than expected in a given circumstance. For example, my tattoo artist almost always exceeds my expectations when he tattoos me, but he doesn't necessarily go above and beyond in any way to do so.
    Going above and beyond, however, is when you put in more time/ effort etc than could possibly be asked for to ensure a satisfactory outcome in a given set of circumstances. For example, I've personally been in situations where I've had to work huge extra hours etc, far above and beyond what could have reasonably been expected, but the final outcome hasn't necessarily exceeded anyone's expectations, only satisfied them.

The best way I can express it is as logical reasoning:
    - Sometimes, exceeding expectations will involve going above and beyond
    - Similarly, sometimes, going above and beyond will exceed expectations
    - However, one can go above and beyond without exceeding expectations, and, similarly, one can exceed expectations without going above and beyond.

In sum, the two often overlap in practical situations but can also be independent of one another :)

Hope this makes some amount of sense!
    Thank you so much! Yes that does make sense and definitely why I asked as I wasn't sure how to differentiate the two :D Will have to think a bit harder about my example haha!!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    A lot of people are working non standard hours at the moment while they balance childcare.
    Totally unrelated to your comment but I just wanted to say that I asked you a few weeks ago about a tricky cover letter-style application question and your advice got me through to my first vac scheme interview of the cycle, which I had yesterday! Thank you so much for all of your insight! It is very helpful stuff.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I was just curious, at which stage of the application process does a firm contact your referees? I was thinking of emailing my referees as a 'heads up' beforehand so I'd like your insight on this. Thank you! 😊
    It will very by firm. Most don’t do it until you have been offered the job, but some firms do it when they know you are being invited through to interview. If there is something like extenuating circumstances that have impacted your academics, then it is not unknown for a firm to contact your academic referee before making a decision on your application.

Reactions: anon101

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    ASOT 1000 in Utretch, Sept 3/4 😉 Pre-sale tickets 27th Jan :)
    Unfortunately I'm really wary of committing to anything this year! Now just because of Covid but because i have no idea what I'll be doing in September - if I can't secure a TC this summer then I'll have to decide either to go and do the LPC, or find something else. =/ Otherwise I would love to go! I haven't been to a live trance gig in a few years now. All my old raver friends kind of grew out of it. 😥

Reactions: Ricky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.