2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
So I asked for feedback on my interview and they said: "we don't have any constructive feedback for you" and then said where I went well etc - how am I meant to improve ahead of the TC interview in the future?

(Im not blowing my own trumpet here, genuinely stuck as I wanna make sure I improve for the next interview but I have nothing to go off)
Hiya,

Congrats on your vacation scheme offer!

In this case, I would just carry on prepping as you did for your initial interview. There is only so much prep you can do for the tc interview ahead of time as a lot of it will be dependent on your experience and performance on the vac scheme. I wouldn't worry too much, it's a positive thing. ☺️

• Love
Reactions: Celestie

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hiya,

Congrats on your vacation scheme offer!

In this case, I would just carry on prepping as you did for your initial interview. There is only so much prep you can do for the tc interview ahead of time as a lot of it will be dependent on your experience and performance on the vac scheme. I wouldn't worry too much, it's a positive thing. ☺️
    Thank you and thank you @Dheepa! Will definitely think and reflect once I have completed the vac scheme. Might contact you closer to the time on how to do this effectively.

Reactions: Dheepa and Naomi U

Kopperskjold

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Is it normal for a firm not to share the results of the WG Test? I asked the GR Team from DLA and they were pretty rude about it. I was shocked haha I guess I won't be applying for any positions there again. Such lack of empathy is appealing coming from Human Resources tbh.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Is it normal for a firm not to share the results of the WG Test? I asked the GR Team from DLA and they were pretty rude about it. I was shocked haha I guess I won't be applying for any positions there again. Such lack of empathy is appealing coming from Human Resources tbh.
    Thats a bit odd... I think you are legally allowed to ask for it (freedom of info?) but I could be wrong. What did they say?

Reactions: Ricky

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi! I am also working on Cooley, and I was wondering how you're tackling the 'tell us about you' question? I'm trying to decide whether to talk about why I'm a 'good fit' for the firm in this answer, or in the 'why does Cooley appeal to you' section.
    The good and bad about you question do you mean. I am in the process of submitting their application soon.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Tried calling Macfarlanes grad rec but no one picked up. Basically for their referees section it says it must be someone from undergraduate degree. Im a non-law grad and completed my GDL. Does anyone know if it’s okay to put down someone from my GDL instead? Thanks
    I did last year. My personal tutor and allocated reference from my undergrad no longer work at the uni and my course had been cancelled and no longer runs, so I didn't have an undergrad reference. They said to use my personal tutor from my QLD instead.

Reactions: Lohana

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hey guys, I've got an AC next week and the firm have specified that there is 'no formal dress code'

I always wear a suit for an interview, however, so I'm abit unsure how to dress now. Would you advise wearing a shirt without the tie? I don't want to come across too casual however! Thanks in advance :)
    Hiya,

I would approach virtual interviews as you would a real interview. So dress in the same way you would if you were going into the office. Not only does this help you look professional, I think it also helps get you into the right state of mind. Personally I don't think you can ever be too overdressed ( plus its virtual so you can always minus the shoes!)

Congrats on getting your AC & best of luck! ☺️

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lawyer101

Kopperskjold

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Thats a bit odd... I think you are legally allowed to ask for it (freedom of info?) but I could be wrong. What did they say?

It is odd isn't it??

They said:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we do not share the Watson Glaser results with students. The reason for this is because the score is a percentile based on a norm group which may vary from organisation to organisation".

And when I asked if I could know which percentile I was in compared to the norm group, they said:

"Thank you for your response. We do not share the results externally."

Lol that was literally it. I'm guessing she is having a bad day but stilll haha gave me a very unnecesary stomachache

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I believe it's because they don't use a benchmark in the same way that other firms do. Or that's what a couple of others have been told by GR.

You could push them using a FOI, in theory. But I'm not sure it would endear yourself to them if you did that.

Kopperskjold

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    I believe it's because they don't use a benchmark in the same way that other firms do. Or that's what a couple of others have been told by GR.

You could push them using a FOI, in theory. But I'm not sure it would endear yourself to them if you did that.

I mean, to be completely honest, I wouldn't like to work in a place where GR is so rude. Like if that's the case, what should I expect from the partners in a bad day lol.

But yeah I can't be bothered using a FOI anyway, it's unnecessarily belligerent.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey guys, I've got an AC next week and the firm have specified that there is 'no formal dress code'

I always wear a suit for an interview, however, so I'm abit unsure how to dress now. Would you advise wearing a shirt without the tie? I don't want to come across too casual however! Thanks in advance :)
    I'd always be suited and booted for an AC - shirt, tie, jacket, decent haircut too (I end up looking homeless when my hair gets too long so I keep it pretty cropped for ACs haha)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lawyer101 and Ricky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.