2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 15, 2021
Weird question, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone has been put off applying to a firm after what they have experienced with the firm this cycle?

Not this cycle as unfortunately this is not my first rodeo, but have def been put off by one where I had a really great interview with partners, but the partner who did my case study review was so mean and laughed at me that I was really put off and actually quite relieved I didn't get it! Slightly different but also been put off from applying to a firm where I was a paralegal and when I see people applying there I want to reply and say "DON'T DO IT SAVE YOURSELVES"...

sabma

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
Anybody just had their Kirkland AC? Just finished it and pretty sure I failed that - I didn't do anything wrong per se, but I didn't do much right and I'm quite certain that I didn't do enough to differentiate myself as someone worth inviting to the final stage. The worst part is that the talk they gave us about 'why you should work at Kirkland' was genuinely inspiring and getting rejected now would be a real kicker. Oh well, onwards and upwards I supposeeee.
This wasn't for Kirkland but I feel the exact same way about Skadden! Wasn't a disaster, but wasn't amazing either. I think the best thing to remember is that the decision is not in our hands so our judgement of ourselves is irrelevant. We might think we did average but maybe the assessors saw something great in us that we don't recognise in ourselves(hopefully) Or maybe they didn't and it will be a rejection (hopefully not). Regardless, the point is there/s no point dwelling on our own opinions, just fingers crossed and hope it goes well! Best of luck with the outcome.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I am so sorry this happened to you. It happens to the best out there.
    I understand how disheartening this is for you.

On the bright side, the interview and the high quality of your work can reassure you that you've got what it takes and that you can do this!
    Keep going and keep in mind that they are the ones loosing an incredible candidate!

scrubs hug GIF

I appreciate this and totally agree!

If anything, it just teaches me how not to treat people trying to work their way up. Cannot wait to get that opportunity where I can give back to people in my position now

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Not this cycle as unfortunately this is not my first rodeo, but have def been put off by one where I had a really great interview with partners, but the partner who did my case study review was so mean and laughed at me that I was really put off and actually quite relieved I didn't get it! Slightly different but also been put off from applying to a firm where I was a paralegal and when I see people applying there I want to reply and say "DON'T DO IT SAVE YOURSELVES"...
    That's terrible!

Years ago I applied for an assistant manager job in this restaurant in Manchester (it isn't there anymore). I arrived fifteen minutes early and ended up being kept waiting for like an hour. And then in the interview, the manager was so rude towards me that I actually contemplated just walking out. He made condescending and snidey comments about my experiences, effectively suggested that candidates from hotel backgrounds were useless. Colour me surprised when he called me a few hours later to offer me the job. Suffice to say that I did not accept. It very much felt like a lucky escape... 😅

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    there's got to be some kind of skill in successfully doing the Arctic shores test! I know there have been people who got lower overall scores than me yet managed to progress to the next stage. does anyone know what Grad Rec look at when assessing this test?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    there's got to be some kind of skill in successfully doing the Arctic shores test! I know there have been people who got lower overall scores than me yet managed to progress to the next stage. does anyone know what Grad Rec look at when assessing this test?
    They’re not assessing your score but the personality and behavioural traits you show during the test. If you analyse your feedback report afterwards you should see what the firm wanted and where it thought you performed weaker than others

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Jaysen @Jacob Miller and other members of the tcla team

I was wondering if you had any tips for sub headings regarding written exercises? For example, recommending a course of action to a client? But for other firms of WE too.

I have a W&C AC coming up with a long WE element (details currently unclear) and I would love to go in with some idea of how to structure advice successfully :)
    I agree with Jaysen here: I wouldn't try and pre-empt what sub-headings should be before you've done the exercise. Just keep them clear, relevant and to-the-point on the day!

Reactions: packhorse

Jason S

Distinguished Member
    Apr 3, 2020
    It’s the personality report that matters not the score itself.

However I’ve taken the test twice and been given different personality reports so I think it’s a load of nonsense tbh

Reactions: Manifesting, Kubed and C

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    They’re not assessing your score but the personality and behavioural traits you show during the test. If you analyse your feedback report afterwards you should see what the firm wanted and where it thought you performed weaker than others
    yeah that makes sense, but its so hard to show the traits the firm wants while actually doing the test

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For an interview taking place remotely, would it be obvious and would it be bad to occasionally look at notes, either written, or on your screen?

Hi, personally I'd strongly recommend against doing this. You wouldn't have notes with you during an in person interview and I think that even a remote interview should be the same. I think it would actually be a lot more obvious than say doing the same thing during a VI because whoever interviewing you would have more time to notice you glancing awkwardly back and forth at your notes and it wouldn't come across well. I also agree that it would make it more difficult for you to build that rapport with your interviewers. Seems counter intuitive but taking pauses to think, adding new thoughts when responding, those things make the interview seem more natural and conversational which is what you should be aiming for!

Reactions: Lawyer101
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.