2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Post AC rejections from DLA Piper, Macfarlanes, and HSF all in the last week, alongside 5 in various stages from app to VI. Down to my last few applications and not feeling too confident.

Definitely some of the toughest days I have had in the last 2 recruitment cycles. I had prepped for weeks and honestly thought some of the interviews went well. Hopefully better news will soon come.

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from firms and with AC's coming up!

This broke my heart because I know how awful it makes you feel, especially when you prepare so much and want it so badly. For the firm in the story I posted above, I spent weeks preparing - I had built up a guide of over 100 pages of preparation - and didn't think the interview had gone badly at all at the time! However, in hindsight, I realised that I just wasn't ready yet and lacked commercial awareness.

I know it's tough with coronavirus but just make sure to take some time out to yourself. Fingers crossed that your other applications pull through but if not, it's important that you come back at this with the most positive growth mindset possible. Speak with friends and family and take your mind off of law for a while. In the long term, don't take the PFOs to heart and instead, pinpoint where you went wrong with the ACs by listening to your feedback and working on those areas. Post AC rejections are the hardest thing in applying to firms and I really feel for you because you are clearly a fantastic candidate by the fact you've got to the AC for those three firms! ❤️

Last edited:

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Anyone still waiting to *receive* the games based assessment? 😬 (I applied on the day of the deadline though, so wouldn't be surprised if it was 'too late'!)
    I haven't received it either and did also apply on the deadline day too :) Nervous that it's too late but they did say at an event that theyd look through all applications!

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    This broke my heart because I know how awful it makes you feel, especially when you prepare so much and want it so badly. For the firm in the story I posted above, I spent weeks preparing - I had built up a guide of over 100 pages of preparation - and didn't think the interview had gone badly at all at the time! However, in hindsight, I realised that I just wasn't ready yet and lacked commercial awareness. :(

I know it's tough with coronavirus but just make sure to take some time out to yourself. Fingers crossed that your other applications pull through but if not, it's important that you come back at this with the most positive growth mindset possible. Speak with friends and family and take your mind off of law for a while. In the long term, don't take the PFOs to heart and instead, pinpoint where you went wrong with the ACs by listening to your feedback and working on those areas. Post AC rejections are the hardest thing in applying to firms and I really feel for you because you are clearly a fantastic candidate by the fact you've got to the AC for those three firms! ❤️

Thank you for your kind words and support!

Definitely need to take some time to process everything, take in the feedback from the AC's, and keep trying to improve. It all seems a bit distant at the moment but with some more work, perhaps I can get closer. Really hoping I have another shot with the apps remaining, but in the meantime I think some time off is in order.

ben4464

Jan 31, 2021
    Anything you would have done differently in retrospect?

Sorry to hear though - getting to that stage is an enormous achievement ?
    Not sure to be honest. I had it during the middle of my exams so was alittle harder to prepare for. Not had feedback yet, but I think it was the article interview that I didn’t do so well on - just on the day I struggled to consider the scenario from a wider perspective.

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Thank you for your kind words and support!

Definitely need to take some time to process everything, take in the feedback from the AC's, and keep trying to improve. It all seems a bit distant at the moment but with some more work, perhaps I can get closer. Really hoping I have another shot with the apps remaining, but in the meantime I think some time off is in order.
    For sure and that's a fab attitude ❤️ For now, you can't do anything until you hear from the remaining firms, so try not to spend all your time refreshing your emails and do something that makes you feel good instead! :D

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Post AC rejections from DLA Piper, Macfarlanes, and HSF all in the last week, alongside 5 in various stages from app to VI. Down to my last few applications and not feeling too confident.

Definitely some of the toughest days I have had in the last 2 recruitment cycles. I had prepped for weeks and honestly thought some of the interviews went well. Hopefully better news will soon come.

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from firms and with AC's coming up!
    If you want to rant, my DMs are open. I'm feeling a bit dejected this cycle being rejected post-AC from CMS and tbh expecting another post-interview rejection. Our time will come!

OH

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 24, 2018
    This is actually incredible, congratulations!!!

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what did you do differently this cycle that you believe was fundamental to your success?
    Hi Ashton,

sorry for the delay, literally just answered 30ish DMs haha.

I received A LOT of negative feedback last cycle and I then deliberately went out of my way to address it. I'm not counting any chickens until the eggs hatch though.

For example, one AC said my answers were technically fine but I came across like a robot, and reflecting back this was spot on; so I now prepare no scripted answers and improvise everything so it comes across more naturally. I also deliberately use only funny competency examples, instead of the ones that are more objectively impressive, so the interviewers will laugh/ask follow-up questions. 70% of my Bakers partner interview was discussing cake because I used several cake-related answers to questions (e.g. spending twenty hours baking a 8 tier cake only to drop it 5 minutes before the party and how this showed my resilience). Also one of the perks of everyone rejecting me is that I had previously researched all their strategies/USPs so making commercial judgments in answers on how they can differentiate themselves is natural now through exposure. In the past I've been accused of being an 'encyclopaedia' and 'information dense' so again I deliberately omit points and speak slower/spend the extra time forming more a personal relationship. Also I link every single line to something personal; e.g. if I say I like international work then I give specific examples of times I went abroad and experienced similar situations. My measure of a good interview now is whether they're unable to ask questions because they're laughing too much, as was the case in most of this cycle's ACs. More commercially, I also spent the past year reading The Guardian/BBC News cover to cover every morning before leaving bed and noting down anything that may be relevant to law firms I was applying to/concepts I didn't understand fully; one thing both I and friends have done to practice is arguing with people/trolls in the FB comments just to learn how you can defend your opinion when you're clearly wrong too.

Sorry for the information dump 😅

I honestly just think it's practice and targeted reflection makes perfect though (e.g. I failed Bakers VI last year), for context this is my fourth cycle:
    First: 2 failed VIs
    Second: 2 failed ACs
    Third: 6 failed ACs

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi Ashton,

sorry for the delay, literally just answered 30ish DMs haha.

I received A LOT of negative feedback last cycle and I then deliberately went out of my way to address it. I'm not counting any chickens until the eggs hatch though.

For example, one AC said my answers were technically fine but I came across like a robot, and reflecting back this was spot on; so I now prepare no scripted answers and improvise everything so it comes across more naturally. I also deliberately use only funny competency examples, instead of the ones that are more objectively impressive, so the interviewers will laugh/ask follow-up questions. 70% of my Bakers partner interview was discussing cake because I used several cake-related answers to questions (e.g. spending twenty hours baking a 8 tier cake only to drop it 5 minutes before the party and how this showed my resilience). Also one of the perks of everyone rejecting me is that I had previously researched all their strategies/USPs so making commercial judgments in answers on how they can differentiate themselves is natural now through exposure. In the past I've been accused of being an 'encyclopaedia' and 'information dense' so again I deliberately omit points and speak slower/spend the extra time forming more a personal relationship. Also I link every single line to something personal; e.g. if I say I like international work then I give specific examples of times I went abroad and experienced similar situations. My measure of a good interview now is whether they're unable to ask questions because they're laughing too much, as was the case in most of this cycle's ACs. More commercially, I also spent the past year reading The Guardian/BBC News cover to cover every morning before leaving bed and noting down anything that may be relevant to law firms I was applying to/concepts I didn't understand fully; one thing both I and friends have done to practice is arguing with people/trolls in the FB comments just to learn how you can defend your opinion when you're clearly wrong too.

Sorry for the information dump 😅

I honestly just think it's practice and targeted reflection makes perfect though (e.g. I failed Bakers VI last year), for context this is my fourth cycle:
    First: 2 failed VIs
    Second: 2 failed ACs
    Third: 6 failed ACs
    Thank you so much for sharing this. As someone in their third cycle of applying this was REALLY REALLY inspiring to hear!

Congratulations again on your offers and wishing you all the luck in converting them to tcs!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.