2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW110601

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me on answering this Shoomsmiths question:

‘... Looking forward, consider the challenges facing the profession and describe how Shoomsiths can remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability? There are many issues which may feed into this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities.’

Do you think it would it be best for me to look at 3 separate challenges and then provide 3 solutions?
Or 1 challenge with 3 different solutions?
I understood this to focus on your top three challenges with solutions, but I'm also not 100% sure

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Would it be ok to apply for a paralegal role at a firm where I am still waiting to hear back from for a VS application? I'm worried it might come across that I lack focus in what I want, but I really like the firm and I am looking to get some experience to help get my foot in the door. There's nothing on the application form preventing me from applying for two roles.
Hiya

I don't see anything wrong with this at all! If anything it emphasises you motivation for a career in commercial law as well as emphasises your interest in the firm ☺️

Reactions: sibs23

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Just realised I got a Hogan Lovells AC invite yesterday but my email filtered it out. The email says to choose the earliest slot possible because they recruit on a rolling basis but when I clicked on the link, the earliest one they had was March 2.

Anyone know when their ACs start/started?
Congratulations on getting your ac!

I wouldn't worry too much about dates and times, its far from a first come first serve process.
Best thing you can do now is focus on your prep & go into your ac knowing you are a confident & deserving candidate!

Best of luck ☺️

• Love
Reactions: MZ

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
If a law firm asks you where else you applied is it okay to mention that you applied to their competitors? I don’t know if that will look bad
I don't think it looks bad at all. The focus here is to test your understanding of the firm and to assess your motivations. Understandably, if you have spoken heavily about wanting a global transactional focused career, yet mention firms which are domestic and focus on heavily on litigation, this undermines your responses relating to motivation and interest. On this note, it can be argued that mentioning a firm's competitors would in fact be a good thing as it shows you have an understanding and keen interest in firms with similar practice areas and sector reputation.

However, like I said, the focus is also to test your motivations. So if you do have a firm that's a bit more different to the initial firm, then I think that's fine to say so long as you are able to identify and explain those differences whilst relating this to your interest at your interviewing firm.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Legalmel_99

Jammo58

Star Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi everyone. I have a question for anyone who has completed vacation schemes in the office (most likely pre-COVID).

Q) Is the format very different for an in-person scheme than a virtual scheme? Specifically, is the majority of the time spent sat in a department actually doing real work, and does the feedback received from this count significantly towards your offer?

I have only completed a 1-week virtual scheme (December just gone) and I found that there were LOTS of assessments (1 corporate, 1 disputes, 1 banking, 1 group exercise + more + interview) but almost no time spent actually sat in a department. I definitely excel most when I am shadowing and carrying out several tasks at once for multiple stakeholders with the freedom to manage my own time, but sadly I didn't get a chance to demonstrate this at all during the virtual scheme.

I am hoping to secure a summer VS which will likely be 2+ weeks, and I am really hoping COVID is over so it can be in the office. Otherwise, I have applied to some direct TCs but I know that these usually require more experience on the CV (I am also currently looking for paralegal work). If unsuccessful this cycle, I am happy to wait and reapply to more in-person vac schemes next year if they are likely to be better.

Grateful for any responses :)

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi everyone. I have a question for anyone who has completed vacation schemes in the office (most likely pre-COVID).

Q) Is the format very different for an in-person scheme than a virtual scheme? Specifically, is the majority of the time spent sat in a department actually doing real work, and does the feedback received from this count significantly towards your offer?

I have only completed a 1-week virtual scheme (December just gone) and I found that there were LOTS of assessments (1 corporate, 1 disputes, 1 banking, 1 group exercise + more + interview) but almost no time spent actually sat in a department. I definitely excel most when I am shadowing and carrying out several tasks at once for multiple stakeholders with the freedom to manage my own time, but sadly I didn't get a chance to demonstrate this at all during the virtual scheme.

I am hoping to secure a summer VS which will likely be 2+ weeks, and I am really hoping COVID is over so it can be in the office. Otherwise, I have applied to some direct TCs but I know that these usually require more experience on the CV (I am also currently looking for paralegal work). If unsuccessful this cycle, I am happy to wait and reapply to more in-person vac schemes next year if they are likely to be better.

I didn't do an in person vac scheme, but my winter one was very different from what you're describing. From what I heard from trainees while I was there, it was as similar as they could possibly get it to being in person, including shadowing, doing real work, and very few assessments aside from a group project and the final interview. Of course the feedback from supervisors during the time in each seat was taken into account too, but it wasn't an "assessment".

It may have just been the firm you had you VS with rather than virtual ones as a whole.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: bethbristol, Jammo58 and Ricky

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

So I think the answer to your question isn't that it varies depending on whether it's in person or virtual but that it depends on the firm's preferred way of assessment.

My first ever vac scheme was an in person one in 2019 and while there was plenty of opportunity to get involved in real work with my supervisor, the firm preferred to heavily weigh the TC decision based on the final case study + interview. While the work you complete for your supervisor and other people obviously help, less emphasis was placed on it.

Even with virtual schemes, I had different experiences depending on the firm. For example, the NRF VS was a very similar experience to what you described. Back to back timed assessments with not much time for anything else during the week. The Latham VS, although there were two assessments we had to complete, we had to do it over the course of the week which meant the things you mentioned like managing time and balancing different stakeholder expectations were very necessary. My Bakers VS felt most like an in person one because we were assessed on the live work we were doing for our supervisors/any one we had reached out to in different departments.

I understand where you're coming from with your points completely actually. I found the Latham and Bakers VS far more enjoyable in part because managing different workloads and managing my time just seemed like a more realistic experience and as close to an in person VS as it would get.

My best advice is look into the kind of virtual VS the firm runs. Speak to people who've completed it in the previous cycle and decide if the experience the firm provides you with is what you want. Also check how the firm is assessing candidates for the TC because if it's anything like the firm I did my first VS at, then there's very little point to showcasing those skills you want to anyway.

Hope that helps! ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.