2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Oh yep. I can totally see that happening. I think it's a privilege they also extend to their associates as they are rumoured to do a lot of stealth firing.
    Yo this firm tf....
    Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha
    Reactions: cmaj and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Oh yep. I can totally see that happening. I think it's a privilege they also extend to their associates as they are rumoured to do a lot of stealth firing.
    Not rumoured haha they fired 25 lawyers in one fell swoop a few years ago (in 2018 I think it was). This RollonFriday article is pretty damming and there's a comment made by a Clearly associate (allegedly obviously) which makes it seem like he's/she's having a miserable life there :(

Reactions: Yoryis and FM302989

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I started reading! Not the boring kind of reading you do because you have to but the kind where you can’t put the book down because it’s making you ask a million questions and you’re fascinated. I make an effort to read every night before bed. It’s really improved how I feel and my sleeping pattern.
    Anyone looking for book recommendations, or has book recommendations please feel free to drop me a message.

I really like non-fiction atm

If you're looking for light hearted easy to read non-fiction, I love the entire Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella (my guilty pleasure honestly).For anyone looking for non-fiction recs, I haven't read these myself but have just bought them: Dark Money by Jane Meyer and Caste by Isabele Wilkerson ☺️

• 🤝
    Reactions: whisperingrock and law230

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Not rumoured haha they fired 25 lawyers in one fell swoop a few years ago. This RollonFriday article is pretty damming and there's a comment made by a Clearly associate (allegedly obviously) which makes it seem like he's/she's having a miserable life there :(

That's a disgrace! You gotta look after your employees, especially as law firms' assets are its fee earners

Reactions: Daniel Boden

law230

Esteemed Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    If you're looking for light hearted easy to read non-fiction, I love the entire Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella (my guilty pleasure honestly).For anyone looking for non-fiction recs, I haven't read these myself but have just bought them: Dark Money by Jane Meyer and Caste by Isabele Wilkerson ☺️
    can you keep a secret is the definition of beautiful trash.

• Love
    Reactions: pbyrne and Dheepa

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi - I am invited for an interview at Sidley! How do I prepare? Thanks for any help :)
    @Celestie this one is for you :) but I'd really prepare for private equity-related questions as Sidley is big on that e.g. what is leveraged finance, why is leverage used in a transaction, what is carried interest, what is private equity etc. etc.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Yo this firm tf....
    Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

It's not the only crazy one. This was a long time ago now but my older brother also trained as a solicitor and after his TC interviewed for an NQ role with Debevoise & Plimpton. Apparently the partner there described his own firm as a 'cult'.

Not rumoured haha they fired 25 lawyers in one fell swoop a few years ago (in 2018 I think it was). This RollonFriday article is pretty damming and there's a comment made by a Clearly associate (allegedly obviously) which makes it seem like he's/she's having a miserable life there :(

Oof that is brutal. I was thinking more recently tbh - I've seen a few (admittedly unreliable) discussions online about Cleary stealthing a few mid-level associates during peak Corona.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    It's not the only crazy one. This was a long time ago now but my older brother also trained as a solicitor and after his TC interviewed for an NQ role with Debevoise & Plimpton. Apparently the partner there described his own firm as a 'cult'.

Oof that is brutal. I was thinking more recently tbh - I've seen a few (admittedly unreliable) discussions online about Cleary stealthing a few mid-level associates during peak Corona.
    That's.... bizarre.

This is why I didn't hang out much with law students at uni - some of you guys turn out weird 😂 😂 😂

No but in all seriousness, imagine describing your firm as a cult and expecting that to be a selling point like wtf :oops:

Edit: Obviously @OliviaBurn, you and the rest of our wonderful committee were notable exceptions :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.