Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Doing some interview prep and focusing on commercial awareness. How would you approach a question that asked what business other than a law firm you are interested in? Heard a few conflicting approaches so just trying to get more views on this.
There isn’t going to be one approach. If you are hearing different ways, they could all be valid ways of answering the question.

Polyglot

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
Dentons AC just came through...... what is happening.......
Love this - an abundance of opportunities. Just out of interest, how many firms did you apply to?

I actually think you can smash all of these. Most ACs involve competency based questions or exercises you can’t prepare for in advance, apart from knowing what to expect. So preparing for one should prepare you adequately for most of them.

I’d prepare massive mind maps/posters to stick behind your computer screen on the wall to remind you of key facts about each firm on the day of the AC. Best of luck!

Reactions: Zoo and FM302989

YFA

Mar 10, 2019
I answered it by talking about the ability to future-proof tech-relevancy. I used examples of successful lawyers being able to individually use RPA to automate their admin, using coding to sieve out relevant data for court etc. I linked it to the ability to widen their client net - (law firms as business) and how they can gain and retain more niche clientele through more efficient workloads.

I then linked it back to Ashurst Advance and their in-house teams, but that's up to you.
Thank you SO much for pointing me in the right direction haha, gonna go back and work on it. Thanks again :)

nicole88

Jun 25, 2020
This cycle has been BRUTAL! Three rejections in a week is a lot. Definitely feeling a bit demoralised but it’s nothing a bit of Stardew Valley and embroidery can’t fix!
I totally feel you! I got 5 rejections this week alone (two of them post-VI). I am trying to think that I don't need all those firms to believe in me, I simply need one, only one.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Taylor Wessing PFO
season 2 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls
oH DEAR, I did not want to laugh but this is a Gilmore's girls GIF..I feel old!

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    For those who have done the PwC VI, did you find the format and questions absolutely bizarre or was that just me??? I genuinely thought halfway through that they had sent me an interview for tech consulting or something... Needless to say, not feeling hopeful 🤣
    I thought they had me for the wrong position but I realised they were challenging one of the core values when doing that. Guess we will find out next week!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    For those who have done the PwC VI, did you find the format and questions absolutely bizarre or was that just me??? I genuinely thought halfway through that they had sent me an interview for tech consulting or something... Needless to say, not feeling hopeful 🤣
    HONESTLY ! sorry but 3D PRINTING?? (Deadline was today so I think it’s ok for me to share this info)

• Haha
    Reactions: Athina and ZaraB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.