2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    To update on the SQE/LPC debate - a new provider for SQE prep courses has just been announced! Looks much cheaper than what has been advertised up until now...

Reactions: EVjuji

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    To update on the SQE/LPC debate - a new provider for SQE prep courses has just been announced! Looks much cheaper than what has been advertised up until now...

Maybe this will break up the monopoly of ULaw and BPP a bit so students stopped being treated like disposable money machines.

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    Hi guys! i was just wondering, if we are asked something along the lines of "what skills do trainees need" in an interview, would we also talk about how we have shown these skills in past experiences? I'm nervous about rambling on and making my answers longer than they need to be

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Should the 'why law' question in an interview include reference to the specific firm or is this not necessary?

Nope not necessary to reference the firm. Just explaining your motivations for law and more specifically commercial law will be enough.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Monkeyray and Jessica Booker

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys! i was just wondering, if we are asked something along the lines of "what skills do trainees need" in an interview, would we also talk about how we have shown these skills in past experiences? I'm nervous about rambling on and making my answers longer than they need to be

I don't think you'd need to talk about your experiences for this one unless they've specifically asked you how you've demonstrated them as well. It's more of an opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of the role. I'd suggest elaborating on whatever skills you do mention by including examples of how they will be necessary for the day to day tasks of a trainee.

Reactions: cmaj and ab1147

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

There will be lots of new entrants into the market as they are not regulated in the same way as GDL/LPC courses are. In fact it’s not regulated at all....

I expect the private tutor market to also boom because of this. Why pay many thousands of pounds to a provider when you’ll be in large class sizes, when you could work with a private tutor far more flexibly and cheaply and have more 1-on-1 type tutution!

Reactions: OB, Lisa Lowe and gg332dd

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Am I right in thinking if I accept an offer to start the GDL or PGDL before September 2021 I can qualify using the current route rather than the SQE?
    Yes, if the firm(s) you train with allow you to take that route of course. They could still determine that you go down the SQE route if that’s their preference.

Reactions: Ophelia K

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not necessary to do this but many people do, although it just tends to be “developed X, Y and Z skills in my role as Forum Moderator”. You won’t need to go into full STAR responses as that would be painfully long.

Reactions: ab1147

ab1147

Esteemed Member
    Jan 21, 2021
    I don't think you'd need to talk about your experiences for this one unless they've specifically asked you how you've demonstrated them as well. It's more of an opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of the role. I'd suggest elaborating on whatever skills you do mention by including examples of how they will be necessary for the day to day tasks of a trainee.

Not necessary to do this but many people do, although it just tends to be “developed X, Y and Z skills in my role as Forum Moderator”. You won’t need to go into full STAR responses as that would be painfully long.
    Thank you both for your advice! ☺️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, if I were to do the LPC next year, what would that mean in terms of the SQE and applying for TCs? Finding it a little confusing lol
    It would make you exempt for SQE stage 1 if the firm(s) you secured qualifying work experience with made you take the SQE route.

Reactions: futuretraineecity
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.