2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hey, I really wish I had found this forum before now - I really want to be able to now bring hope to others who are feeling down. I finally have a TC offer accepted, but it’s my fourth year. In second year uni I thought I’d managed it, I had a summer vac scheme with a MC firm, I did well, I tried my best, my feedback was good but the interview went badly. It was a rejection. The next year I focused on uni, did about 7 applications, was rejected at app stage each time. The year after, I’d graduated, I got a job, I applied for more vac schemes, I did a winter vac scheme at a big international firm and my feedback was great but again, anxiety got the better of me and I was rejected at the end because of the interview. I tried applying for some direct TCs in the summer. rejected again. Then this year I applied for some vac schemes, some direct TCs, I made it past the app stage on all the applications, I had worked on commercial awareness, I entered the aspiring solicitors commercial awareness competition, I was doing a masters, I kept progressing through the competition, I managed to be chosen as a winner of the competition, a week after I had an AC with a MC firm, I passed the AC, I got the training contract. I accepted.

For three years I felt awful, I felt inadequate and not good enough and that I didn’t know how to change my luck, I felt like everyone I knew had already got TCs and I was the ‘last one’ from my uni cohort. I wish others could know that if you’re facing rejection you’re not alone, if you’ve cried and felt awful about yourself and felt like you’ll never get your TC offer, if you’ve been rejected by your ‘dream firm’ after spending hours on an application and attending events, I can entirely relate. I hope if you relate to any of those feelings currently your luck changes soon - mine did and I’m sure yours will too ❤️
Just out of interest, are you still attending the vac schemes you won through the competition? Cant imagine what I’d do, some great firms to potentially get another TC from but then probably cba haha

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Just out of interest, are you still attending the vac schemes you won through the competition? Cant imagine what I’d do, some great firms to potentially get another TC from but then probably cba haha
    I’m not, no. It was hard to decide though ngl as the firms were brilliant. What it fell down to was me realising that me doing the vac schemes would take vac scheme places away from people who would love to work for those firms, and I didn’t want to do that to people when, in reality, the firm I have the TC offer from is probably what I’d have taken at the end of the summer regardless

KB2020

Future Trainee
    Aug 4, 2020
    I imagine every interview could differ but my interviewers didn't really - I went into quite a lot of depth in my answers though because I was conscious that they hadn't seen my application and knew nothing about me/my experiences
    I got a few follow up questions but it was very conversational. They seemed to be genuinely interested in finding out more about me so the questions were not anything I couldn't answer.

Reactions: AH97

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    When firms say they have 10-12 TC places, does that mean they give out more offers? For example, Latham has 24 TC places (I think) but I also know many people that have rejected their Latham TC offer, and yet on chambers student it says there are 48 trainees, so they have to have given more than 24 offers no? I’m approaching a vac scheme with tight numbers and its stressing me out so need comfort haha

• 🤝
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

Zay

Star Member
    Oct 28, 2018
    When firms say they have 10-12 TC places, does that mean they give out more offers? For example, Latham has 24 TC places (I think) but I also know many people that have rejected their Latham TC offer, and yet on chambers student it says there are 48 trainees, so they have to have given more than 24 offers no? I’m approaching a vac scheme with tight numbers and its stressing me out so need comfort haha
    The 48 trainees is the total number of trainees i.e. they have 24 trainees per intake

Reactions: OB and leolegal

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey, I really wish I had found this forum before now - I really want to be able to now bring hope to others who are feeling down. I finally have a TC offer accepted, but it’s my fourth year. In second year uni I thought I’d managed it, I had a summer vac scheme with a MC firm, I did well, I tried my best, my feedback was good but the interview went badly. It was a rejection. The next year I focused on uni, did about 7 applications, was rejected at app stage each time. The year after, I’d graduated, I got a job, I applied for more vac schemes, I did a winter vac scheme at a big international firm and my feedback was great but again, anxiety got the better of me and I was rejected at the end because of the interview. I tried applying for some direct TCs in the summer. rejected again. Then this year I applied for some vac schemes, some direct TCs, I made it past the app stage on all the applications, I had worked on commercial awareness, I entered the aspiring solicitors commercial awareness competition, I was doing a masters, I kept progressing through the competition, I managed to be chosen as a winner of the competition, a week after I had an AC with a MC firm, I passed the AC, I got the training contract. I accepted.

For three years I felt awful, I felt inadequate and not good enough and that I didn’t know how to change my luck, I felt like everyone I knew had already got TCs and I was the ‘last one’ from my uni cohort. I wish others could know that if you’re facing rejection you’re not alone, if you’ve cried and felt awful about yourself and felt like you’ll never get your TC offer, if you’ve been rejected by your ‘dream firm’ after spending hours on an application and attending events, I can entirely relate. I hope if you relate to any of those feelings currently your luck changes soon - mine did and I’m sure yours will too ❤️
    Many congrats to you and Woody! Hope you were able to celebrate your brilliant achievement which is a culmination of all your hard work and sounds extremely well deserved so you should be very proud!

• Love
    Reactions: PositiveVibesOnly

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    The 48 trainees is the total number of trainees i.e. they have 24 trainees per intake
    No yeah I know, but what I’m saying is that if they have 24 trainees per intake and they fill out all places every year (48 students), and there are several people who declined the offers surely it means they offer more than 24? How do they know how many more to offer?? its such a science

topsawyer

Nov 12, 2020
    Hi, does anyone know long HSF usually take to get back to people after the AC? I know in the past they’ve told people the same day but I’m curious about whether this is usually the case- thanks!
    I got a phone call within half an hour with an offer! At the AC, GR said that they aim for the same day or the next at max. But then again if your AC is on a Thurs/Fri, you may have to wait till next week.

Reactions: M0723 and Lillith

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi everyone!
    (it might be a stupid question)
    but I am wondering whether there is a point in applying for a training contract with no legal work experience? or is it better to wait for autumn for VS applications?
    Hiya!

I don't think this is a stupid question at all!
    From my own personal experiences, I think recruiters who view tc apps look for more certainty regarding your motivations for a career in commercial law at that firm. This is because unlike a vac scheme, which creates an opportunity for both you and the firm to gain a better insight into each other, a direct tc is a bit more permanent so to speak. Therefore, I personally don't see anything wrong with applying at all but rather its all about how you structure your app to show that you are confident and certain with regards to motivations in applying for a tc at that firm.

Hope this helps ☺️

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    I got a phone call within half an hour with an offer! At the AC, GR said that they aim for the same day or the next at max. But then again if your AC is on a Thurs/Fri, you may have to wait till next week.
    Ah cool, thanks for letting me know. I’m hoping it isn’t a case of doing the offers first and the rejections after, but I guess I can’t do anything about it now 🤷🏻‍♀️

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    No yeah I know, but what I’m saying is that if they have 24 trainees per intake and they fill out all places every year (48 students), and there are several people who declined the offers surely it means they offer more than 24? How do they know how many more to offer?? its such a science
    Some firms let the successful candidates know first so that if they reject they can offer places to other candidates they may have liked (this is what happened at a smaller firm I did a VS with)- I imagine they also will look at direct TC apps to fill any places they still have if there aren't other candidates they want to offer places to?

Reactions: tk166
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.