Status
Not open for further replies.

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hey guys - I have a video interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone had any general tips. This is where I really went wrong last cycle, I lacked confidence in my ability and froze in front of the camera during most VI's. This year I have really been trying to practice, but some tips would be really useful too if possible!

VI invite from Bakers! Did the WG last Friday by the way.

This is my first VI with a law firm so I’d really appreciate any tips at all :)
Congrats! My tip would be to really try and nail some kind of structure in the prep time like which points you want to cover so that you sound more confident! This prevents you from trailing off and sounding unclear :) and defo just try to relax as much as possible (I find I get more relaxed as I approach the last couple Qs) and appear friendly - good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine!

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
Hi all, just got an update from Taylor Wessing. I thought it might be good to post as I saw others were asking questions about the firm:

"In the lead up to applications closing on 11 January, we wanted to give you an update on your application status.

Once applications close, we will review your application and games-based assessment in consideration for the final stage of the recruitment process, which is a half day assessment centre."

• ℹ️
Reactions: NadineBusty

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hey guys - I have a video interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone had any general tips. This is where I really went wrong last cycle, I lacked confidence in my ability and froze in front of the camera during most VI's. This year I have really been trying to practice, but some tips would be really useful too if possible!

Congratulations! I normally find that using stickies on my laptop (you can download them on Mac) and placing them close to the camera really helps :) If you lose your train of thought whilst answering the questions, the stickies next to the camera always help.

I often prepare my video interviews just how I would prepare a normal interview, making sure that I've got an answer for all the competencies the firm is looking for. I just make my VI answers a little shorter and practise them to ensure they're within the time limit. Make sure you give yourself a 10-second leeway though because you don't want to be rushing through your answer for fear of a lack of time! :) Good luck!

eveh1784

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Congrats! My tip would be to really try and nail some kind of structure in the prep time like which points you want to cover so that you sound more confident! This prevents you from trailing off and sounding unclear :) and defo just try to relax as much as possible (I find I get more relaxed as I approach the last couple Qs) and appear friendly - good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Congratulations! I normally find that using stickies on my laptop (you can download them on Mac) and placing them close to the camera really helps :) If you lose your train of thought whilst answering the questions, the stickies next to the camera always help.

I often prepare my video interviews just how I would prepare a normal interview, making sure that I've got an answer for all the competencies the firm is looking for. I just make my VI answers a little shorter and practise them to ensure they're within the time limit. Make sure you give yourself a 10-second leeway though because you don't want to be rushing through your answer for fear of a lack of time! :) Good luck!

Ah brilliant thank you so much guys - structure is deffo a good idea, I'm gonna build a STAR competencies table now. And I never thought about using stickies as prompts I'm deffo gonna do that - it's a good alternative to post-it notes around my laptop which can be a little distracting!

Reactions: NadineBusty

MZ

Esteemed Member
Forum Winner
Oct 7, 2020
Congratulations!!
Was this for VS and post-video interview? I have mine next week and not sure what to expect
Hey, sorry for the late response! Congratulations on the interview!! Yes, this was for the VS and after the interview with grad rec. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the format of the interview if you PM me!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Does anyone know if DLA Piper accepts applications from final-year law students? They seem to have conflicting information on their website and application portal? :(
I am final year law and I've gotten an AC invite, so I would say so. I think maybe it's different if you are an international student though - is that what you're referring to?

SF1234

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 3, 2020
Hi all! Was wondering if I have to mention a rejection from a Latham and Watkins open day on their application where it asks if I have applied for a 'position' at the firm before?

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi all! Was wondering if I have to mention a rejection from a Latham and Watkins open day on their application where it asks if I have applied for a 'position' at the firm before?
    Oh my lord, this is so weird. I am just writing my application for them now - hope yours is going well :)

While saying that, if anyone has any interesting notes about L&W, please DM me! Would be greatly appreciated. I can reciprocate on some firms etc :))

Last edited:
    Reactions: JoNo

DMMW

Standard Member
    Dec 14, 2020
    Ah brilliant thank you so much guys - structure is deffo a good idea, I'm gonna build a STAR competencies table now. And I never thought about using stickies as prompts I'm deffo gonna do that - it's a good alternative to post-it notes around my laptop which can be a little distracting!
    I'd add to this already great advise and suggest the rule of three. For example, if there's a question asking you to give your thoughts on an issue e.g. a commercial awareness question, stick to three key points. This is an easy way to remain concise due to the timed element and to structure your responses so that you don't repeat yourself. Also, try using the video interview simulators to time yourself and practise (practise makes perfect!). I know TCLA has some practise ones! Remember to look into the camera and not at yourself as this is how you maintain eye contact with the viewer. Finally, stay calm, breathe, and enjoy yourself - you've made it this far already! Hope these small tips help too and all the best! :)

Reactions: JoNo

nisadee

Valued Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    What is the application process for Addleshaw Goddard's vacation schemes? I have just read this on Chamber's Student which confused me: "The firm chooses vac schemers directly from their application forms. Meanwhile, following a preliminary video interview, around 70 of those applying directly for training contracts are invited to one of several assessment centres."

So there are no tests, interviews or ACs for the vac scheme?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.