2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Hey! Hope it went well🤞 Do you mind letting us know How did you find the interview also what office/type of app?
Hey, I applied for the health stream in Liverpool.

I've done the interview twice now (I did it last year also). I think the main thing is to keep calm. It's a *very* quick interview - there's no small talk or chat, you get asked a question immediately after they introduce themselves. That's thrown a lot of people off (myself included). Most people I've spoken to have only been on the zoom call for 8-10minutes.

The questions themselves (there are 3 of them) test your understanding of the role and the firm itself. There aren't any competency or motivational questions. Be prepared to tailor your responses to the stream you've applied for. Good luck!

Reactions: Num

AJLegacy

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Just noticed the following in the Russell-Cooke 'confirmation of application' email. Hoping they've been unexpectedly delayed given the closing date was last Sunday 😅

"Please note that interview dates are set and we are not able to offer interviews on any other dates. Remember to check your junk mail folder the week after the closing date to ensure you do not miss any invitation to interview."

Reactions: Poppyx12

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Didn't apply there but always intrigued why people ask stuff like this? What does it change lol
It's probably because asking for updates is the only thing that we can do as applicants which feels like being proactive. I agree that it isn't necessarily healthy but it's understandable - we're all nervous and anxious, just wanting to hear back. A little empathy would not go amiss.

SB1539

Star Member
Feb 26, 2021
Didn't apply there but always intrigued why people ask stuff like this? What does it change lol
Because it people an indication of when they should be expecting theirs... There's a lot of waiting around when it comes to TC apps with very few updates from firms keeping us in the loop. There's a comfort in asking others as a way of an update.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi guys, could anyone please provide some advise on how to go about choosing a department for a vacation scheme? Or point me towards the right thread and people?

thanks a ton!
Hiya!

I always think it’s best to choose seats that you are genuinely interested in (e.g. because of the industry focus, type of clients, activity type etc, previous use of transferable skills or just plain curiosity I would never advise choosing a seat simply because it’s the main one or you feel you have to choose it simply because I think it’s important to be authentic and true to yourself and your interests throughout the vs process.

At the same time, I think it’s quite good to be open minded regarding the category of the seat e.g. contentious vs transactional vs advisory. I think it’s always good to pick at least one seat from each category as this will give you a wider insight into trainee tasks and commercial law more generally.

Also remember, you can always learn more and engage with other practice areas during your vac scheme by arranging virtual coffees and chats so don’t feel limited!

Hope this helps & best of luck ☺️

• 🤝
Reactions: Holly

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Anyone have an idea on where I can find resources for the standard interview question:

"What practice areas will be involved in this (hypothetical) deal and what will they be doing?"

Not sure if they're on the TCLA courses or in this forum, would be super appreciative if anyone would be able to share something!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Anyone have an idea on where I can find resources for the standard interview question:

"What practice areas will be involved in this (hypothetical) deal and what will they be doing?"

Not sure if they're on the TCLA courses or in this forum, would be super appreciative if anyone would be able to share something!
    If you are a premium member, catch up with @Alice G's interview webinar from the other night which pretty much covers the foundations for this. I think the recording is going up soon if not already.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G and Holly
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.