2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
Hello Guys,

I have been invited to complete the Reed Smith SST online test.
I have never done an SST test before, could you give some tips or online resources?
Thank you in advance

Hey hey!
  • You can do a practice SST here: https://practice.cappassessments.com/Sst/Sst.html
  • From my understanding an SST is different from a SJT because questions set out to also evaluate different strengths. So I think that multiple answers can be "right" because the test is looking at what your strengths are.
  • Honestly, I found the Reed Smith SST to be kind of frustrating because it was really hard (for me) to rank the statements they give. Some of the statements felt pretty different from others and I found it so much harder for justifying why I ranked a response second and not third. That said, I failed lots of SJTs this cycle and miraculously passed this SST, so in retrospect it wasn't that bad. So my advice if you feel confused during the test is to not panic and take all the time you need!
  • After doing the test you get a report on 3 of my strengths and I felt that they really were spot on for me, which was nice.

• 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: NikkiT, ZaraB, Jaysen and 2 others

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
Has anyone got any tips for the Reed Smith research questions? :)

I have tips for this too!
  • When you do research for the questions, say what your sources are! GR mentioned this for applicants to do at their Open Day. So if you mention something The Lawyer published, say the name of the publication in your writing. (I don't do this in other applications, but Reed Smith wants this level of detail.)
  • The firm also loves hearing evidence and backing for everything you say. So make sure you back up any qualities and competencies you write with an example. The firm really promotes a strength-based recruitment approach, so perhaps you could reflect on those before you commence your writing. Look up some of @Alice G's advice for evidence on this on this forum.
  • The questions will be evaluated on the basis of research, analysis, and commercial awareness skills. So keep that in mind when writing!
  • When you do essays on a timed basis (i.e. the 5-day deadline), it might help you to break down your work and give yourself goals for each day and plan enough time to send your answers to friends/relatives/TCLA, etc.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Lawbour, ZaraB and CT

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    For Reed Smith "What are your main activities or interests outside of your study or work-life?" I have listed what I have done with societies on campus in my first, second and third year as well as my part-time jobs. @Jessica Booker is this the right approach? How did everyone else approach this?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    For Reed Smith "What are your main activities or interests outside of your study or work-life?" I have listed what I have done with societies on campus in my first, second and third year as well as my part-time jobs. @Jessica Booker is this the right approach? How did everyone else approach this?

hey! I did this too. I just listed each PoR. I read somewhere on the forum that this part actually isn’t assessed so don’t worry about it too much.

Reactions: M1999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

the part time jobs would technically be work-life but it’s ok to include them if you haven’t covered them in your work experience section (I just would focus on how often you work/shift patterns/how many hours a week etc).

Reactions: Celestie

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Hi guys, does anyone know if Latham is using a sector-approach or the traditional practice-area focused model?

Hey! I don't have a definitive answer but based on what I have seen, Latham uses both approaches. For example, you can do a seat and qualify into a department called Entertainment, Sports & Media, where you do things that are sector-focused in various capacities. But equally you could join Private Equity, which would cover a wide range of industries but probably entails similar type of work day-to-day. If you take a look at how they name their practices (https://www.lw.com/practices), it looks like there is a good mix of both approaches.

D

Deleted member 2707

Hey! I don't have a definitive answer but based on what I have seen, Latham uses both approaches. For example, you can do a seat and qualify into a department called Entertainment, Sports & Media, where you do things that are sector-focused in various capacities. But equally you could join Private Equity, which would cover a wide range of industries but probably entails similar type of work day-to-day. If you take a look at how they name their practices (https://www.lw.com/practices), it looks like there is a good mix of both approaches.

Thank you! That seems to be the impression I got as well but I do remember someone mentioning that they use a sector approach now. So just wanted to get some clarifications!

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    Hey guys, I know it's quite late in the application cycle but I'm not sure how to approach this question: "What types of innovation will drive growth at Taylor Wessing?" on the TW app. I'm probably overthinking it, but I can think of 3 different ways to interpret the phrase "types of innovation" in this question and I don't know which one is best/closest to what they're looking for:
    1. Types of innovation as in specific types of AI/technology, like predictive coding or machine learning technology.
    2. Different areas of innovation as in new technology in different sectors, like recent innovation in the healthcare sector.
    3. Types of innovation in a less literal/more descriptive sense, as in "innovation that caters to x need" or "innovation that is based on extensive research of client needs" to illustrate the type of commercial knowledge and client-centric mindset needed to drive successful innovation and the firm's growth.

Option 1 makes the most sense intuitively but something about the way the question is worded is throwing me off a bit, so it would be really helpful to hear how you guys would approach this

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.