2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
They might not notice. I called Freshfields "Fieldfisher" in my application and got through to the WG. Also, their name is silly anyway - it's always one of my go-to ridiculous law firm names to bring up in general conversation (along with Foot Antsy, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher and Flom (full name only for comedic effect), and Fried Frank).
And don't forget the worst offender: US firm Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP... so basically William Cutting Pickles and Hay by the Door LLP? Yeah totally not gonna mess that one up in interview.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I applied to travers got the email other day saying they will get back to me, I’ve just seen a spelling error which now makes more sense why I’ve not heard back since I applied in November 😅 others have heard back and done the whole process I am definitely assuming PFO but congratulations to everyone who’s got onto the VS! ❤️
    Isn't over 'till it's PFOver, don't write it off! Minor errors are more common than you might think and, despite obviously not being ideal, aren't always fatal to an application if it's otherwise strong. Put it this way: a firm would rather interview a candidate with an exceptional application and a minor typographical error than an average application with perfect punctuation.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    We should definitely have a 'TCLA End of 20-21 Cycle Awards'.

Awards for forum members and firm's GR processes - although we'd have to make sure it was light-hearted and diplomatic to avoid TC offers being rescinded 🤣
    BCLP being at the bottom of my list for inviting me to that unapplied open day and then PFO next day 😭 like excuse me

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    BCLP being at the bottom of my list for inviting me to that unapplied open day and then PFO next day 😭 like excuse me
    I agree with this and Macfarlanes and Travers Smith for replying in 2026. Bad list.

The only firm that I was impressed with this year was Bird and Bird 3 weeks and it said on their website they will get back to me in 6 weeks.

Including good list Linklaters and HSF for sending me an email about giving me reasonable adjustments without requesting it another 2 on my good list.

Reactions: cmaj and Ophelia K

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Thank you for calling out this behaviour. It was truly unnecessary for this person to do this continuously...
    I explained in my previous post as to why I asked - I was looking for clarification for the issue so I could understand and provided guidance (which I did, if you look). I added "hahahha" to make sure it didn't come across as harsh as internet talk can cause miscommunication (as per what happened).

I don't understand why it's necessary to bring something up from earlier when they had been rectified... But I appreciate your comments and hope you understand. I have only tried to help people on TCLA and provide a happy atmosphere but miscommunication happens. I wish you a lovely day. Feel free to pm me if you have an issue. :)

Last edited:

macala russell

Star Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    So a firm said to me after I was interviewed. They will get back to all candidates in 3-4 weeks and then she said “however, I know that you are waiting a lot of firms and if you get a vacation scheme. Email to let us know and we will tell you your result”
    Is this normal procedure or should I take this as a good sign?

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    So a firm said to me after I was interviewed. They will get back to all candidates in 3-4 weeks and then she said “however, I know that you are waiting a lot of firms and if you get a vacation scheme. Email to let us know and we will tell you your result”
    Is this normal procedure or should I take this as a good sign?
    It's fairly normal. Firms expediate their procedures when they know candidates have other offers. They don't want to miss out on someone worthwhile just because they got to them late.

It might mean that they think you are someone likely to get more than one offer, but I wouldn't read much into it.

Mp4eng

Standard Member
    Feb 5, 2021
    And don't forget the worst offender: US firm Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP... so basically William Cutting Pickles and Hay by the Door LLP? Yeah totally not gonna mess that one up in interview.
    My friend is on the pupillage committee in her chambers. When interviewing a prospective pupil last year, the want-to-be pupil said they would love to have pupillage at ABC Chambers. Only problem was, it was XYZ Chambers holding the interview.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    My friend is on the pupillage committee in her chambers. When interviewing a prospective pupil last year, the want-to-be pupil said they would love to have pupillage at ABC Chambers. Only problem was, it was XYZ Chambers holding the interview.
    There really needs to be a cringe reactions for situations like this. Cause oof 😬

• Haha
    Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.