Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I am having a bit of trouble with the Reed Smith questions "Taking into account the firm's core values and drawing on any examples you have from your experiences, would you feel confident enough to challenge your colleagues if they were carrying out a process incorrectly?" Its clearly both a question probing my knowledge of the firm but also a scenario-based q? Im not sure how to cohesively approach this q
    I would provide an example of a scenario where you've demonstrated enough professional integrity to do the same. When describing your actions, try to emphasise/include any of Reed Smith's own values/qualities they look for.

Reactions: LeilaScott

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Just received my third post-AC rejection and I am just feeling very disappointed. Have a fourth AC coming up tomorrow and am finding it very hard to find the confidence/motivation to prepare for it. Feeling very demoralised.
    Sorry to hear this. It really is a struggle when you can’t quite break through (whether that’s in an AC for a VS or in interviews for anything else). Just remember, you’ve got to the AC for a reason. They’ve seen something in you they already like and you’ve got something they want. You deserve what they’re offering. Just go for it and do your best, and take the pressure off yourself if you can.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and SecretSantaxx

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just received my third post-AC rejection and I am just feeling very disappointed. Have a fourth AC coming up tomorrow and am finding it very hard to find the confidence/motivation to prepare for it. Feeling very demoralised.

I'm so sorry to hear this, it's a really tough position to be in. If you have received any feedback already, try to bear them in mind for tomorrow's AC. Every single one of those three ACs means you've got three times the practice than most other candidates at tomorrow's AC and that's a massive advantage (you know the game so much better!). I'd also recommend taking some time out tonight from AC prep to recover from those rejections and get your confidence back. Echoing what someone else has said, you only need one yes and from experience that yes always comes when you least expect it. You're clearly a very impressive candidate - securing four ACs is no small feat. You have what it takes, so don't let your disappointment or frustration with these rejections convince you otherwise.

Anya B

Distinguished Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Congrats! I didn’t know they were accepting applications this year. Did you apply for 2022 in London?
    Thank you! I applied for First Steps with Fieldfisher for London - having looked back over my app it doesn't have a date on it but I seem to remember reading somewhere it will be a day virtually in the summer for successful candidates - not 100% sure on that tho

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    I’m sorry to hear this and hope you are ok. Maybe prep during the day then take the evening off to relax and unwind. I’ve found that when I’ve gone into an AC feeling positive/enthusiastic (even if I have to fake it to myself for the entire AC) I do much better. I also tell myself that “this time tomorrow it’ll be done and I can bake some cookies/watch that show, just need to work hard until then” has kept me focused the day before.
    clearly you are doing something amazing since you’ve managed to secure 4 ACs in what’s probably the most competitive cycle ever! remind yourself you deserve to be there, know your worth and that the firm would be lucky to have you.
    Really rooting for you and good luck!

Reactions: SecretSantaxx

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Answered a similar question on how to prepare for these here. In terms of how to stand out, I always think the best way to stand out in any interview (beyond just having impressing them with your experiences and answers) is to build rapport. I admit this can be a very difficult thing to do, but I've posted here about some small ways I tried to do this in my own interviews. Good luck for your interview! Fingers crossed for you!

Know your CV inside out. Don’t repeat detail from your CV, think about presenting your answers with more depth, analysis and opinion rather than just repeating the factual information presented on your CV.

Also think about what isn’t on your CV. Maybe you didn’t include it as you didn’t think it was as relevant, but sometimes that additional detail shows you in much more of a multi dimensional light.
    Thank you both!!

law89

Star Member
    Feb 10, 2021
    Currently working on the following application question:
    Our values are: Radical Transparency, Teamwork & Respect , Enterprise.
    Taking just one, explain in your own words how having our lawyers demonstrate that value would help deliver excellent client care. (500 words).

I get that in some respects the question is clear enough, but I was wondering in light of the longer word count and the fact that it is the only Q on the app, would it be a good idea/expected for me to weave in how I have personally shown that value? So as well as answering the question literally, also treating it as a competency question?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Taking just one, explain in your own words how having our lawyers demonstrate that value would help deliver excellent client care. (500 words).

I get that in some respects the question is clear enough, but I was wondering in light of the longer word count and the fact that it is the only Q on the app, would it be a good idea/expected for me to weave in how I have personally shown that value? So as well as answering the question literally, also treating it as a competency question?
    I would weave in how you personally showed that particular value maybe but also mention a particular deal where the firm demonstrated that value.

Reactions: law89

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I think the focus of your answer should still be discussing the day to day role of lawyers and how the value you pick is crucial in carrying out those tasks. It seems like the question is looking for both a good understanding of the role of a commercial lawyer and the values that underpin that and it's sometimes better to just answer the question that weaving in something it hasn't explicitly stated its looking for. If you do choose to include an example of how you've demonstrated the value, I'd look into what the firm defines those values as and try to ensure your example matches those definitions/what the firm values.

Reactions: law89

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Did they add more dates?? I swear the last one was meant to be on the 17th

EDIT - Just checked and the AC dates that were available to pick from were :
    - 16th feb
    - 17th feb
    - 23rd feb
    - 25th feb
    - 3rd march
    - 4th march
    - 9th march
    - 10th march
    - 16th march
    - 17th march
    These are the dates I was given too! Also at the Q&A they said they were running 10 ACs with 8 people at each one :)

Reactions: ChuPnl
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.