2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
i respect your opinion but you can’t really put people into two categories of ‘well off’ and ‘not well off’. People have other priorities like rent, supporting their families, paying off debts. I don’t think it’s fair to say ‘I did it so everyone can do it too’. In my opinion it’s an inappropriate question to ask people as young as 19.
I completely agree and on the point of supporting their families, this is especially true for carers (young/old) who may be supporting their families in all sorts of ways (financially, physically, mentally, emotionally).

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Opinions on chasing up a firm twice after an application? Been waiting 3 months since the second stage of the process (phone interview)- emailed for an update in mid february and was told I'd hear back ASAP

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 14, 2021
i respect your opinion but you can’t really put people into two categories of ‘well off’ and ‘not well off’. People have other priorities like rent, supporting their families, paying off debts. I don’t think it’s fair to say ‘I did it so everyone can do it too’. In my opinion it’s an inappropriate question to ask people as young as 19.
I agree that many people from low-income backgrounds, myself included, have had the opportunity to travel at some point, at least within the UK, but I feel like there are people who haven’t had any opportunity to travel, especially abroad (whether it’s because they have caring responsibilities at home or they had to spend all their free time working or all their earned money on household costs). I didn’t apply to this firm and I don’t really know what sort of answer they’re looking for, but I can imagine it being off-putting if I was applying as I know that a lot of my opportunities to travel have been a bit “right place at the right time” and I could have easily not been able to go- it would make me question whether the firm is actually looking for people like me, although like I said I didn’t apply here so I can’t say for sure what type of answers they’re expecting
I do partially agree with your point, but people's circumstances vary a lot and I think using something like this as a question is really not a good initial signal to send to candidates. I know plenty of people who are not well off but have managed to travel extensively--equally I know people whose background makes travel impossible (growing up in poverty with caring responsibilities for disabled younger siblings, foster care and then working summers to try to pay uni costs, parents with severe disabilities who couldn't be left alone).

It's just an unnecessary thing to bring up in an application, if you want to ask about appreciation for other cultures then you can easily do that another way. There is also the serious possibility of putting off candidates who have not had the chance to travel extensively and feel like the firm is sending them a message here, that their process will not be designed to be inclusive.
Not suggesting that because I can do it others can, just that opportunity is available and it is out there. I just think a lot of people especially those with minimum finances think its impossible and I don't think its true. Completely agree with the fact that caring obligations and disabilities can get in the way of this, especially going abroad. I think even then taking a trip somewhere local, could be possible but then again I don't know everyone's particular situations.

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
People who've done Mayer Brown vac scheme ACs, how much notice did they give you before the AC date? I've heard they're doing ACs until the end of march, and I did my phone interview 3 months ago, so just figuring out when I should write them off
I did the telephone interview last week and was told by grad recruitment that they would be letting people know this week if they had been selected for AC or not

Reactions: M777

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Opinions on chasing up a firm twice after an application? Been waiting 3 months since the second stage of the process (phone interview)- emailed for an update in mid february and was told I'd hear back ASAP
I wouldn't - at least not yet. I've only chased up twice with one firm and it was where they said I'd hear "by the end of the month" and I emailed towards the end of the following month. I did get to the next stage so I don't think me chasing up put them off me but they told you a month ago it would be ASAP so unless you have reason to think you've been lost or forgotten, I'd personally just leave it.

Reactions: M777

law89

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
I would weave in how you personally showed that particular value maybe but also mention a particular deal where the firm demonstrated that value.
I think the focus of your answer should still be discussing the day to day role of lawyers and how the value you pick is crucial in carrying out those tasks. It seems like the question is looking for both a good understanding of the role of a commercial lawyer and the values that underpin that and it's sometimes better to just answer the question that weaving in something it hasn't explicitly stated its looking for. If you do choose to include an example of how you've demonstrated the value, I'd look into what the firm defines those values as and try to ensure your example matches those definitions/what the firm values.
Thank you for these responses guys

Reactions: Dheepa

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
I wouldn't - at least not yet. I've only chased up twice with one firm and it was where they said I'd hear "by the end of the month" and I emailed towards the end of the following month. I did get to the next stage so I don't think me chasing up put them off me but they told you a month ago it would be ASAP so unless you have reason to think you've been lost or forgotten, I'd personally just leave it.
Thank you- agreed!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Not suggesting that because I can do it others can, just that opportunity is available and it is out there. I just think a lot of people especially those with minimum finances think its impossible and I don't think its true. Completely agree with the fact that caring obligations and disabilities can get in the way of this, especially going abroad. I think even then taking a trip somewhere local, could be possible but then again I don't know everyone's particular situations.
I think it really depends. If you live at home (e.g. with family) and don't pay (much) rent then it's easier to throw a few hundred pounds on a holiday. If you're earning minimum wage and paying rent (particularly city prices) then it becomes MUCH harder to justify. I went four years without being able to take a holiday because more important things kept cropping up which needed money spending on.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Are Alternate Business Structures still a current issue? Writing about their impact (PWC, EY, KPMG mainly) on law firms but I am worried since the legislation is over 10 years old it might not be so relevant currently? If anyone has any thoughts/ good articles id really appreciate it!

Reactions: OB

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Are Alternate Business Structures still a current issue? Writing about their impact (PWC, EY, KPMG mainly) on law firms but I am worried since the legislation is over 10 years old it might not be so relevant currently? If anyone has any thoughts/ good articles id really appreciate it!
    Personally, I think this is quite overdone in applications by now, unless you have something unique/recent to say about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.