2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

topsawyer

Nov 12, 2020
Massive congrats!! I saw a missed call from grad rec and now they're not picking up hahah! Aggh have to wait til tomorrow to find out.

Do you reckon they're only calling those that passed or would they call everyone? I remember from the AC they said quite generally that they would call us in the week of the 22nd (so they're early), but it seemed like they would call everyone regardless of outcome and also to offer feedback.
Hi! I got the call today from Ropes with the VS offer and did their AC yesterday on the 16th, which was their last AC of the cycle. You're absolutely right they said they're gonna start calling next week (week of the 22nd) so when they called early today it was a bit surprising, but as @GK8997 pointed out, GR said they're calling around 10 people today.

So maybe they'll keep calling people as they make decisions, fingers crossed for you to hear back tomorrow with good news!! Best of luck!

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Hi! I got the call today from Ropes with the VS offer and did their AC yesterday on the 16th, which was their last AC of the cycle. You're absolutely right they said they're gonna start calling next week (week of the 22nd) so when they called early today it was a bit surprising, but as @GK8997 pointed out, GR said they're calling around 10 people today.

So maybe they'll keep calling people as they make decisions, fingers crossed for you to hear back tomorrow with good news!! Best of luck!
Wow that was quick, congrats on the great news!! Did they maybe mention if it was 10 *successful* people today, or just 10 people in general?

And did they / will they let you choose which summer VS you want to do, or do they pick one for you?

Thanks!

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Wow that was quick, congrats on the great news!! Did they maybe mention if it was 10 *successful* people today, or just 10 people in general?

And did they / will they let you choose which summer VS you want to do, or do they pick one for you?

Thanks!
I'm not sure about the successful point but they did ask me if I had a preference for a scheme and I told GR and they said that's fine!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Hey - does anyone know how long law firms typically give for you to accept a VS offer?
It really depends! I got an offer in writing from one firm over a week ago (was offered over the phone the week before) and have until the end of the month. Whereas another firm was in touch on a Friday afternoon and wanted an answer by Monday morning.

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
Jan 3, 2021
I got some really good but standard advice from my current employer. They only offer 4-5 TC’s and they said:

I would advise you to get any experience you can. Yes legal work experience is good, that being said you just have to know how to turn it around and relate your experience to the trainee role. Even though it’s quite logical, don’t wait for your dream firm as if you can miss some life changing opportunities.

is anyone else working and studying part time? The struggle is so real...

14207172-C373-4DBE-9911-98611F288240.gif

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Preparing for my final AC of this cycle like
finish line friday GIF

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
0 ACs let alone Vac Schemes lol

same lol!
This was me last year. I made a couple of minor tweaks this year in how I approached answering questions and have been invited to the AC/final stage in 6 of my 7 submitted applications.

I'm happy to help you figure out where you're falling short, if you get in touch. I can look over an application and offer some suggestion. Send you some examples of mine, if it would help. Just send me a message. *note* I am pretty busy at the moment so can't offer extensive help, just a gentle nod in the right direction. If you're really at a loss then I would recommend looking at the application review service offered here on TCLA.

Last edited:

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
This is me too 😂 you must be doing something right during the AC please help haha
Well every AC I've done thus far has been pretty different - so it really depends on what the exercises are and what they say they're looking for (if they say that). With group exercises and proof reading exercises, there isn't a whole lot you can prepare in advance. Just make sure you know the basics - the firm's strategy, values, sectors, services offered, clients, competitors, etc. I write myself a 'cheat sheet' which I keep next to my laptop.

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
Jan 3, 2021
This was me last year. I made a couple of minor tweaks this year in how I approached answering questions and have been invited to the AC/final stage in 6 of my 7 submitted applications.

I'm happy to help you figure out where you're falling short, if you get in touch. I can look over an application and offer some suggestion. Send you some examples of mine, if it would help. Just send me a message. *note* I am pretty busy at the moment so can't offer extensive help, just a gentle nod in the right direction. If you're really at a loss then I would recommend looking at the application review service offered here on TCLA.
Legend! Hopefully there will be less competition! Anyone who has progressed past the application stage, should give have a positive mind-frame considering the surge in applications this year!

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
May 5, 2020

Thank you! I have been using the application review service extensively, and I did get to the VI stage for 3 apps.

Unfortunately I think it’s largely my poor GDL grades - with so many more apps this year it’s just easier for firms to filter out slightly out sub par grades to cut the numbers.

I’ve had good feedback on my app questions - just got to keep going and onto the Direct TC apps now.

We move.
Lets Go Nbc GIF by One Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.